tomcat problems any advice (1 Viewer)

taygolf

Hall-of-Famer
Reaction score
ok so I have a work laptop that I hardly ever use that I need for an upcoming business trip. I use tomcat for testing everyday on my work desktop and I wanted to update the tomcat on the laptop to the same version as well as update java. So I removed tomcat and updated the my java and then I reinstalled the new version of tomcat. now every time i try and start the tomcat service it crashes. All i get is and error 0x0 or something like that and an event ID of 7024 in the system logs?

I updated my JAVA_HOME environment variable but that did not help. I am sure tomcat is looking for an older version of java or there is something in the registery pointing to the old tomcat or something but I do not know what.

using XP for both systems if you were wondering.

Any suggestions?

T

in apache config, which jvm are you pointing to?

As far as I know, there isn't any need for JVM information in the Apache config files.. Apache can run on its own, as can Tomcat..

Do you have any webapps in the tomcat/webapps directory that might have been compiled with an older version of Java?

Have you modified any of the Tomcat configuration files?

Tomcat should start properly on clean install and you should be able to access the examples in the webapps directory.. You should be able to access the default Tomcat page by going to http://localhost:8080/ if everything starts correctly..

my understanding, apache tomcat requires jvm. not only that, depending on which ver of tomcat, determines, which version of java.
apache 2 webserver does not.

Tomcat does require the JVM.. That's the only way it can run.. And he has that installed.. And he has the JAVA_HOME environment variable set.. That's pretty much all that Tomcat requires..

The way I understood your previous post, you were saying that the Apache webserver required some Java setting, which isn't true obviously..

ok, misunderstanding, i was refering to other things in the conf directory,
but the jvm can be pointed to by using the configure option from apache monitor. that will point to the jvm to be used.
and should be the "client" directory one, not the "server" dir one. per my setup and understanding of it.

on another note, taygolf, you havent' noted anything if it's working or not?

Hey guys,

NO I still do not have it working. i have not been home for the last several days so I have not been able to work on it. I will look into some of yall questions tonight and post. I have installed and uninstalled tomcat several time on several different machines and never had this problem.

T

also, will it start with using the startup file in the tomcat directory directly instead of using the service?

you said it was an upgrade, did you uninstall the previous, and don' t 2 tomcat's trying to use the same service name?

Yes I uninstalled tomcat and JAVA. Then I installed the new version of JAVA and then I installed the new version of Tomcat. no there are not 2 services for tomcat and no it will not start using the bat file. All it does is flash a black screen real quick and then it goes away.

I am really at a lose here. I think it is either looking at the wrong location for tomcat or it is looking at the wrong JVM or something but I do not know how since I uninstalled and reinstalled everything. maybe it is a registry variable or something

T

iis isn't running there is it? although tomcat seems to default to port 8080 so that it wouldnt' interfere.
if something his using that port, it wont' start.. i had that prob.

tomcat has a ver. that requires java1.4, somehow i doubt it's that prob.

nope no IIS. Everything worked before I uninstalled now it is all screwed up. I am getting close to just reinstalling windows. that will fix it for sure but a pain in the butt

T

Try running the .bat from the command line interface.. That should allow it to print out any errors from startup..

Here's something else.. Delete your catalina.out file in the logs directory.. Start the service either via the services window or the command line.. Post the output from your catalina.out file here..

ok I found an error

[2008-02-21 17:30:18] [info] Starting service...
[2008-02-21 17:30:19] [174 javajni.c] [error] The specified module could not be found.
[2008-02-21 17:30:19] [986 prunsrv.c] [error] Failed creating java C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.6.0_03\bin\client\jvm.dll
[2008-02-21 17:30:19] [1260 prunsrv.c] [error] ServiceStart returned 1

I have read that this means I am pointing to the wrong JVM but that is the location of my java install and there is a jvm.dll file in that directory.

What do yall think?

T

ok it is fixed. looks like I had to copy the msvcr71.dll file from my java/bin directory and put it in the tomcat bin. seems tomcat needs that to start java 1.6. weird but I am glad it is fixed

Thanks for the help everyone

T

glad it's working for you.
seems you should have been good by putting the classpath and java home directory environment settings.. but eh, at least figured out the way around it.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom