Tommy Lee Lewis - Let's talk about it (1 Viewer)

Payton is probably reluctant to cut him because it will mean that Bill Parcells was wrong.

I feel bad for saying this because he’s a Saint and I’m sure he’s trying hard to prove himself, but I would be ok if he is no longer on the team after the season is over. This is not about the fumble last night; rather, the overall body of work. I don’t see the value, even though he’s made a couple of good plays in the passing game. I believe he has a place in the league, but not on our squad. Again, I do feel bad for saying this because I don’t wish any ill will on him.

My 2-cents: TLL fumble was an effort mistake. They happen from time to time even to the best. Yeah, I hear the "know the situation" argument, but I am sure as he was trucking toward that pylon with the game winner a step away, it was all instinct. Was it a wise move? Of course not, but I am much more willing to forgive the effort error than a bonehead play due to lack of concentration. The coach can decide TLL's ultimate fate.

two more yards, and we'd be talking about how Payton is a genius and how "That's why you keep a guy like TLL on your roster."

It was a bad fumble, but it was the result of effort. He belongs on the 53.
Why does he belong on the 53? What has he ever done to merit being on this team? He does nothing. He offers nothing other than bad. People aren’t just referring to the ONE boneheaded play, we are talking about the past few years where he has constantly made the team and for no valid reason. We could easily replace him next off season with someone miles better. He’s poor, always has been, always will be.

Small Frame (5' 7" and 168 lbs) and TINY Hands. He has the hands of a small child.

That's why everyone is terrified when he touches the ball. It's like an 8th grader playing football with grown adults. It's a recipe for disaster.

Please just have Kamara return punts.

And on those plays where we need 3 yards, just use our TWO PRO BOWL RUNNING BACKS with some misdirection.

It was a great play design and definitely caught the Panthers off guard. TLL got greedy and put the ball in a vulnerable position try to score a needles touchdown since we already had the first down to end the game. He was not playing good situational football. I think he has some value as a punt returner as long he doesn't fumble and he did have that one, scary all-hands grab on one of them.

Bottom line, as others have said, he's a fringe player at best on this team. but, I don't think there are many other options at punt returner. So, as long as he is doing that job reasonably well, I think he sticks for this year. However, if he muffs a punt, he'll be gone the next day.

This is not exactly true. There was a hold so even if he didn't fumble we'd still be in 3rd and long.

TLL does not have the length or arm span to be extending the ball from the 2 yard line, even with a Trampoline he doesn't make it there.

1st down ends the game

no first down but going down in bounds kills 40 seconds and makes it 15-9 as Lutz is pretty much automatic from that range.

there's only one potential way to lose the game and that's doing exactly what he did...

I don't call that effort I call that Bad football, and poor situational awareness. Once he saw the pursuit and 2 Defenders crashing on his upfield shoulder he needed to just get his knee to the turf and live to fight for another day, not put the lifeblood of your team in harms way.

It's not asinine it can happen to anyone period

I think he meant the “you’d cut them too” part of your post. I actually think that is kind of a poor comparison. Ingram and Kamara have made mistakes before but they have also contributed so much to our success. It makes sense that they have a longer leash when it comes to fumbles/mistakes.

TLL just hasn’t contributed all that much but seems to make a lot of errors (or near errors). It’s not hypocritical to call for his benching/release when you wouldn’t for a better player (like Ingram or Kamara).

Good Strip by the defender hitting the ball with his forearm, if he doesnt do that Lewis has a TD and is a folk hero.

Y'all making too much out of a bad luck play.

IMHO
THIS......TLL has made some of the catches I’ve seen Kirkwood and Tre’son drop, so, he caught an “end over end” punt with his hands and THAT was a scary situation and IF on that corner of the EZ play is his to make, Coach the man up for it~! REMIND him of his situation and since he has limited playing time as a WR he’s GOT to be Coached more than if he’s an every downer or in the rotation as a regular. Am I wrong in that assessment? Isn’t it on The COACHING to prepare TLL for that eventuality of mankind certain he controls the ball to avoid all of that late game drama??? As you write; Should he extend and score and then get the ball knocked out of his grasp? Game OVER ~! I was pulling for him on so many levels ( as I do with ALL of Our Guys) If they are in Black and Gold? I’m pulling for them to make every play and decision possible for The SAINTS to WIN. Those who are calling for his head must NOT have seen him make plays throughout this season of lack luster plays from our WR’s not named Thomas of Ginn or Watson~! Fact is, even Kirkwood has flashed so should we have a WIN next week >? The game vs, the Panties is as good as a Bye and allows for the less experienced players to get game time and then a real BYE week as we heal and prepare for the Lombardi Run in The DOME; all things working to our favor. So I hope.

We've been waiting for years for TLL to develops all for naught. Put him on the bench period and forget him till the off season. Taysom Hill will be a better receiver and punt returner than TLL.

He can be upgraded, and he made a boneheaded play but it came after making a good run to get to that position which took talent. He’s doing enough to deserve being on the team for now.

He runs good routes, has good hands, and he's fast. Perhaps expendable when Ginn comes back but not until then.

No one has impressed me with fielding punt returns. Bill Parcells has a heart attack every time Kamara attacks a ball off the bounce or, like last night, when Tommylee did not square up and had to catch a punt off to his right side

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom