Tommy Stevens: How Do you like the pick? (1 Viewer)

Tommy Stevens: How do you like the pick?

• Love it

Votes: 60 23.3%
  • Meh

Votes: 72 28.0%
  • Hate it

Votes: 30 11.7%
  • Too soon to tell

Votes: 95 37.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I'm a pretty big State fan.

He never really got a chance to get going at state. He was hurt most of the year, and Coach JoMo had one of the most difficult offenses to run. He asks players to do an insane amount of pre and post snap reads before they execute the play. I'm extremely happy he's gone (JoMo). All that to say, I wouldn't read too much into Steven's game tape.

I think he's got as good a shot as any 7th round QB. He's highly athletic and showed some good accuracy/mental processing. He's a long term project though.

Watched him a good bit with MSU and not sure he was the best QB on that team. Very nervous about our depth at cb, still.

He wasn't, but he was also playing very injured. He wouldn't take himself out and JoMo just kept starting him. Everyone watching could see that kid needed to be in street clothes on the sideline.

I watched a lot of MS State (I have lots of family who are State alums). My assessment -

Positives -
Athletic. Stevens can escape the pocket and make plays in the open field.

Prototypical NFL QB size at 6’ 5”, 236 lb

Decent arm. While he doesn’t have a monster arm he can make almost all medium to deep throws.

Negatives -
Lacks accuracy. At times he can thread the needle other times he’ll make a “WTH?” was he thinking throw.

Never developed at State. He was the same QB when he left that he was when he arrived. Everyone expected him to step up his game and he never did.

Long injury history. Like Taysom his career was derailed by injuries. Just like Taysom he took some monster shots while scrambling.

Do I like the pick? Not really. The Saints could have rolled the dice and possibly picked him up as a UDFA. His ceiling is at best is a career backup but I don’t see him as the next Taysom Hill because he lacks Hill’s speed.

I’m thinking they called him about becoming one of there udfa. He prob didn’t seem thrilled to come over so we said fine we will trade and get you then lol

Do I like the pick? Not really. The Saints could have rolled the dice and possibly picked him up as a UDFA. His ceiling is at best is a career backup but I don’t see him as the next Taysom Hill because he lacks Hill’s speed.

He ran a 4.49. He's plenty fast, had a great 3 cone too. I didn't even think about him being a Taysom utility replacement until I saw this thread. I think he'd be perfect for it though. He's got the size, speed and strength. He'd also be learning either position from scratch (QB/TE).

1587856165378.png

His ceiling is at best is a career backup but I don’t see him as the next Taysom Hill because he lacks Hill’s speed.

Disagree. He doesn't have a hard ceiling because he's not physically limited. He could be out of the league in a year or a starter one day. Just noway to know how he develops. Taysom was a pretty crappy pure QB in college too and we are talking about him starting now.

It is Tommy Stevens' opportunity. It's up to Tommy and what he does with this opportunity.
So "MEH" at this point. I hope he is the steal of the draft.

He ran a 4.49. He's plenty fast, had a great 3 cone too. I didn't even think about him being a Taysom utility replacement until I saw this thread. I think he'd be perfect for it though. He's got the size, speed and strength. He'd also be learning either position from scratch (QB/TE).

1587856165378.png

I wonder if he ran that at his pro-day cause the number I keep finding is a 4.62

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom