Tommy Stevens Pick (1 Viewer)

Maybe they want a guy like Taysom Hill to run the scout team.
Stevens has some speed, but he is not even close to the athlete that Hill is. If the Saints want someone to replicate a few of the highly athletic QBs that we may play for the scout team, they are not going to get a good replica with Stevens. He has good speed, but otherwise isn't that great of an athlete. I don't know how good a QB Stevens may be, but he's not a good enough athlete to take over the Hill role in the offense. He is plenty athletic enough as a QB, if he is actually a good QB.

you really think that SP doesn’t have plans for some plays that fit Hills style? That is a very old minded coach you are trying to make him out to be - the ones that kept their system and forced players to fit it. The best coaches these days design the plays with the players in mind.
I guess you didn't read the post I responded to?
Your thoughts about either my comment or my attitude towards the coach are WAY off!
Thanx for letting me know what the best coaches do now though.

I guess you didn't read the post I responded to?
Your thoughts about either my comment or my attitude towards the coach are WAY off!
Thanx for letting me know what the best coaches do now though.

i think I may have just quoted the wrong post. My thoughts about designing a new game plan were specific to him being an every down QB. You are obviously correct about his current role.

at some point I read an interview of Payton gushing over what Baltimore is doing with Jackson and his excitement had him sounding like a kid in a candy store. I keep referring to Hill being the starter as an experiment because it’s just a new twist on what’s been done with athletic QBs in the past. So it could end up being the direction that the NFL goes or it could end up being a fad like the run and shoot or the wildcat that will be great for a while and then defenses will catch up. But I definitely feel that Sean is ready to try it so I am on board for however long it lasts. my apologies is my post was misdirected. You have a lot of heart Tinman.

And as an aside and not directed at you, I definately think we have a coach who gears the blaybook to the players, much like Bill Belichik and very unlike the Dan Quinn’s of the world.

Payton tore up the "normal" playbook years ago. LOL
Stay safe out there brother!

Stevens has some speed, but he is not even close to the athlete that Hill is. If the Saints want someone to replicate a few of the highly athletic QBs that we may play for the scout team, they are not going to get a good replica with Stevens. He has good speed, but otherwise isn't that great of an athlete. I don't know how good a QB Stevens may be, but he's not a good enough athlete to take over the Hill role in the offense. He is plenty athletic enough as a QB, if he is actually a good QB.

I understand your assessment, but in the media coverage of that pick, and in a interview with Taysom some reporters said that Stevens wants to play like Taysom. The FO has to have a specific role for Stevens since they traded to get back in to the 7th round. They have specific visions for the players they select. So what is the role that Stevens could field?

I understand your assessment, but in the media coverage of that pick, and in a interview with Taysom some reporters said that Stevens wants to play like Taysom. The FO has to have a specific role for Stevens since they traded to get back in to the 7th round. They have specific visions for the players they select. So what is the role that Stevens could field?

más of right now I think he is a long term project. But that’s pretty much what o think Taysom was for starters as well. And it’s always good to have one with the kind of QB development you can get with Sean and Drew in the room. I’d rather the 3rd string guy be a project than a seasoned vet. Under normal circumstances of course because who knows how our strings work right now. We have our project. And of course Winston is his own type of project.

I retract what I said about Stevens' athleticism not comparing well to Hill's. The information that I was going by for Stevens was from his college recruitment. I just found his pro day numbers, and they compare favorably to Hill's.

Taysom has a slightly higher vertical and shuttle, but Stevens has a better 3-cone, and Stevens is 2 inches taller and 20 pounds heavier. Also, I found this film study on Stevens from his Penn State days, and he does remind me of Hill.

Hill's advantage is that he actually played QB a lot more than Stevens, but Stevens protected the ball better than Hill. Maybe he will be able to fill that role after all.

I don't think you make any roster plans based on a 7th round pick. He was an athlete they like and might have a role. Just a roll of the dice.

I think he may be converted into an H-Back / Tightend. He's not much of a passer neither in highschool or college but he was a dual threat athlete and could fit in the toll Hill had but more so as a H-Back.

Last edited:
I think he may be converted into an H-Back / Tightend. He's not much of a passer neither in highschool or college but he was a dual threat athlete and could fit in the toll Hill had but more so as a H-Back.

Special teams is his primary goal right now imo. If he can make that they'll try other things.

I think this guy will be amazing! His size is reminding me of Peyton Manning and I can literally see him running the Saints offense. I know people have already painted him into a box because of his draft grade, but Brady was drafted in the 6th round. So don't get caught up in that.

Some are looking at this wrong , he is Hill insurance guys. God forbid Taysom hurts himself but Payton has a second string here where there none before on the roster. Not the replacement for Hill, as in we are preparing to lose Hill, we just resigned Taysom for another two years.

It seems to me the intention is to have him take over many of Taysom's roles if/when he 1) becomes the starting QB 2) gets hurt or 3) leaves in free agency because we did not make him the starting QB. At they same time, Sean is hedging his bets with Jameis. I wonder if Sean plans to employ a 2 QB system permanently to make it impossible to game plan with the unpredictability of 2 completely different QB's? Maybe we could start to see that this year with Drew and Taysom, and later with Jameis and this guy?

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom