Tommy Stevens will have to remain on the roster (1 Viewer)

Noisemaker

Loud for Our Team
Reaction score
Because of the situation with Carolina, Tommy Stevens can never be put on the practice squad. Carolina will sign him as soon as they do that. That means he will have to remain on the roster. He will need to be on special teams and be a 4th TE. Do we release one of our special team players to make room for him? Who could he replace?

Last edited:
Because of the situation with Carolina, Tommy Stephens can never be put on the practice squad. Carolina will sign him as soon as they do that. That means he will have to remain on the roster. He will need to be on special teams and be a 4th TE. Do we release one of our special team players to make room for him? Who could he replace?
Not if he's terrible he won't be.
But, I suspect he would be asked to play at least 4 special team units and probably be counted on as a 5th WR or 4th TE on the roster

Carolina would have to sign them to their active roster from our practice squad. If they really want to use a spot on someone who couldn't make our squad, have at it.
Carolina will sign him to active roster the moment he hits practice squad.

Having Stevens able to be an up back on punt team would make ST coordinators wet the bed at night.
Imagine Taysom and Stevens as upbacks and they each have the ability to take the snap and pass or release into the flat and receive.

Nice to see us getting an early start on the 'We can't risk this guy on the PS!!!11' threads...

Just because Carolina wanted Stevens as a UDFA didn't mean he was a lock to make their regular season active roster.

So the logic that he would be signed from our PS to their active roster doesn't necessarily follow.

And if Stevens was that important to Carolina's plans, they would have drafted him themselves, rather than risk him going undrafted and signing elsewhere...

This isn't in response to anyone in particular, but I love how everyone is ready to put Stevens on IR before our coaches even get this guy in the freakin building! CSP saw enough to make a small risk play on him, and send the bird to Carolina. Kid is gonna have some versatility to his game, really increases his chances. And yes, the second we would try to sneak him onto PS, he is gone. All kinds of rebuilding teams like Carolina would take him.

I bet he gets cut and we wasted a draft pick. He's not nearly as fast or as physical as Taysom.

With his frame and workout numbers he is probably better suited for TE, WR or OLB. His frame and speed is very similar to Fujita's but he would have to completely change his mindset because he spent his entire life avoiding contact.

Since we know a division rival in Carolina was going to sign him to be their version of Taysom Hill, if we don’t put him on IR at the end of camp than that means he isn’t what we hoped. I have a hard time seeing this guy make the 53 man roster when we already have Taysom. This move was made if Taysom becomes the starter next year. This move was not made for this year, so if he shows coach that he will be good enough to fill Taysom’s role to a degree he will have the phantom IR put on him without a doubt IMO

Tommy Stevens should be thanking coach Payton and Taysom cause those two are the only reason he got drafted. Jalen Hurts also should be calling and thanking coach Payton & Taysom. If not for those 2 he likely doesn’t go in the 2nd round to a pretty good team. But if not for those 2, he likely goes to a team were he can compete to be the starter. I don’t see him competing for the starting spot there anytime soon.

Last edited:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom