Tonight reminded me of the Saints vs 49ers Divisional Playoff game.. (1 Viewer)

I was thinking about that game at the end of Rams-Bucs.

Todd Bowles went all in. Cover zero, hoping for the blitz and got burned ala Gregg Williams.

Cooper Kupp is outstanding. You don’t let the center field open when you have a receiver of that caliber and the arm of Stafford.

Todd Bowles went all in. Cover zero, hoping for the blitz and got burned ala Gregg Williams.

Cooper Kupp is outstanding. You don’t let the center field open when you have a receiver of that caliber and the arm of Stafford.
Yes I was wondering about that all or nothing call at the end. Good comparison.

For me, I feel old thinking about that game because it's hard to believe its been a decade since that game, and all the post-game, offseason hardships we were thrown up against, had to overcome, were forced to endure due to the Bountygate fiasco/sham which essentially, held us from successfully rebuilding and retooling our team back into contention for almost 5 years.
Drew, statistically, had some of his best seasons ever, epic, transcendent games, a stretch from 2011-13, and IIRC, in 2015 and 2016, he threw for over 5,000 yards like it was no big deal. And yet he had historically poor, terrible defenses (one led by the current Chiefs DC whose team is reaching near-dynasty level).
The 2010's were very much a decade of absolutes but also a lot of heartbreaking losses I don't think witnessed or felt by this team since the early 90's. We were either very good or great like in 2011, 2013, 2017-20, or we were terribly below-average but also bordering on our record ending up being much worse.

Its amazing looking back at some of those horrendous defenses in 2012, 2014-2016, that we just finished 2 games below 500. Because there were some games like our 51-48 shootout win in 2015 vs. Giants, that Drew basically had to pass for nearly 500 yards and 4 TDs just to keep us in the game and not falling further behind by 2-3 TDs.

Earlier, another SR poster mentioned that Payton had probably had the toughest, hardest job of most other NFL/NCAAF HCs over the past decade, I would also add that the past 10 years have hit us Saints fans the hardest----not that we didnt achieve anything of substance, no, far from it, its what we weren't allowed to go on and achieve thats the most frustrating.

Kupp made up for his boneheaded play that allowed TB to get back into the game.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom