Tony Dungy defends Drew Brees: 'I don't agree with you but let's talk about this' (1 Viewer)

• Admin
By Blake Harper | Yardbarker

Former NFL coach Tony Dungy appeared on "The Pat McAfee Show" to defend Drew Brees, arguing that people should not dismiss the quarterback because they disagree with him voicing his disapproval of kneeling during the national anthem as a form of protest.

"Drew Brees can't be afraid to say that and we can't be afraid to say 'Okay, I don't agree with you but let's talk about this," Dungy said. "We can't just say anytime something happens we don't agree with 'Hey I'm done with that and this person.' That doesn't make sense."

Brees has found himself facing criticism due to making controversial statements in the midst of nationwide protests in response to the death of George Floyd while in police custody. The Saints quarterback issued an apology but many said it was a disingenuous attempt to look good rather than actually own up to his mistakes.

Full Story - Yardbarker

Andrus Whitewing

Andrus Whitewing

Admin
I am a huge, decades-long fan of the Saints up here in Quebec and an equally huge fan of Drew Brees. I was surprised and
saddened by his comments at this tumultuous and (hopefully) important turning point in race relations. He is a highly
accomplished individual who has built solid relationships with many African-American teammates over the course of his career.
Demonstrations by African-American athletes against police brutality or their treatment as second-class citizens are not an
insult or slur to the American flag. The struggle for a better country is exactly what that that flag is supposed to represent and
the stars and stripes should evoke the still unrealized ideals for which many black Americans in uniform fought and died for.
I fervently hope our future Hall-of-Fame quarterback will now use his considerable influence to aid in that struggle.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom