Tony Elliot RIP (1 Viewer)

Reaction score
Buried in the T-P after a story about an SLU coach dying:

EX-SAINT ELLIOT DIES: Former Saints nose tackle Tony Elliott, who played for seven seasons with the team, died at his home in Bridgeport, Conn., on Monday.

Elliott, 48, died of natural causes, his brother, Carl, told the Bridgeport Post newspaper. Elliott had been paralyzed from the waist down by a shooting nearly eight years ago and confined to a wheelchair. Since the shooting, Elliott also had suffered from congestive heart failure, hypertension and diabetes.

Elliott was a fifth-round draft choice of the Saints in 1982 from North Texas State. He played with the Saints through 1988, while overcoming a drug addition.

Police believe Elliott was shot in February 2000 by a drug dealer.

Sad how this guy went down the tubes. He was a colorful character on some bad teams, but not the brightest bulb on the Christmas tree. He was infamous for once kicking a ball away after the ref had placed it in play while the other team (49ers?) was trying to get a snap off with just seconds left in the game. Somehow he didn't get penalized and the Saints won the game.

He was a thorn in Mora's side, but he was the best we had so he couldn't cut the fool. Anyone remember some TE stories?

Sorry to hear that. I don't have any stories to add, but I do own the helmet he used while playing as a Saint.

I remember when he kicked the ball, we all went nuts laughing and how got away with the delay. His passing is a shock.

Too young, too young.
Tony was a beast. He wasn't ever a star Pro Bowler, but he was really good at that human pinball position of NT in a 3-4. I don't envy anyone playing that position and he held his own there. I can't think of anything right now off the top of my head, but I remember he always had something funny to say after games. I think Mora felt he was "flippant" because of it, but I think he was a nice foil to Mora's extreme seriousness. Sometime after he was gone, Mora started to lighten up some as a different motivational tack, which I don't think worked for him. It was better having an Elliot on the team as a foil and Mora being the disciplinarian.

RIP Tony Elliot

FOX Sports has an article on his death:
Elliott, former Saints nose tackle, dies at 48
Apparently he was also suffering from depression due to his ex-wife's legal troubles.
FOX Sports said:
Elliott had been depressed since he testified last year on behalf of his ex-wife, Jeanette Foxworth, during her federal corruption trial, his brother said. Foxworth, the owner of a computer technology company in New Orleans, was convicted last April of wire fraud, lying to the FBI and conspiracy.

The only time that I saw Tony on the street....we were both in a grocery store at Chateau Boulevard and West Esplanade. We were both buying a bottle of whiskey.

He was genuinely friendly. We talked for a brief period of time, said our goodbyes, and went about our business.

Joe

"Sunbasket", was it not? Or a Canal Villere??

It's been a long time. I am talking about the mid-80's (probably).

I don't remember.

Like my ole boss used to say....."When ya get to be my age, your mind is the second thing to go".

So, I asked him what was the first thing????

He said...."I don't remember".

Go Tigers.

Joe

Elliot came to our house. I forgot if it was an official Zulu function, but I remember him playing cards and whatnot that eve. I was kinda disappointed that he had crossed the line during the strike. RIP.

Elliot was extremely talented but never realized all of his talent because of his drug addiction. He could have been a great one. May his soul now find peace.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom