Article Tony Gonzalez calls Drew Brees the GOAT (1 Viewer)

BiloxiSaint1

Veteran Starter
Reaction score
I'm kind of surprised this comes from a former Falcon...

By James Parks

The debate over who is the best to ever play the quarterback position in NFL history is one that will rage as long as the game of football is played, with some judging greatness by championships and others by more nuanced statistical measurement.

But after Drew Brees broke the National Football League’s record for all time passing yardage last week, the number of voices calling the New Orleans Saints quarterback the greatest ever have been increasing in number and in volume.

Among that chorus is FOX Sports analyst and former NFL tight end Tony Gonzalez, who said that he considers Brees the best to ever take a snap in the game’s history.

“I started looking back, because people started mumbling, ‘Who’s the greatest quarterback of all time?’” Gonzalez said on FOX during the Saints’ bye week.

“And still nobody wants to put him up there, and it’s making me upset. He has 5,000 yards [in a season]. He’s done that five times in his career. No other quarterback has done that more than once, not Tom Brady, not Peyton Manning. He’s got the best completion percentage in NFL history. And yet, when we start talking about the best quarterback of all time, he’s not even in the discussion, which makes no sense.”

Entire article here:

https://247sports.com/nfl/new-orleans-saints/Article/Drew-Brees-GOAT-123366151/

If anything I think the height issue makes his accomplishments that much more amazing. Watching Drew all of these years I don't even see or think of him as being "short" amazing is amazing no matter how tall you are.

When people talk about the greatest WR in history it’s unanimously Jerry Rice because of his stats and longevity. You don’t hear people make excuses like “ahh well it’s just because his QBs never threw it to anyone else” or “anyone can catch those little check downs” and that’s what pisses me off about the arguments against Brees. “Well he throws it 100 times per game” “anyone could make these screen passes and throw for tons of yardage” ok...so why don’t they? Brees is statistically the greatest to ever do it and there’s no real argument against it

Loved him as a player, hated that he ended his career with the Falcons. Dude had a great sense of humor and was a great teammate, also a very good blocker. I don't think this is the end of former division opponents speaking up for Drew....like we used to say in youth soccer....the players know who the players are.....

Tony Gonzalez is the only falcon I have ton of respect for. He is a class act. He always had tons of respect for Will Smith and Drew Brees in his playing days.

What are the primary jobs that the QB has that he actually controls? Complete throws to his receivers, move the ball down the field, and score points. Brees is without a doubt the greatest in history at those things.

Winning the game is everyone's focus but whether you win or lose can not be determined by one person on the team. Drew does not play defense and he does not play special teams. All he does is play the QB position and he plays it better than anyone to ever be in the NFL.

TG is way more Chief than Turd. That's like saying Emmitt Smith is a Cardinal or Rice a Raider.

Mike Greenberg said the other day that "to be in the discussion" Drew would have to win an MVP or another ring. To even be in the discussion!

smh

They just don't want to give a franchise that type of respect. They want us to be the Aints. They can't wait till Brees retire and go back to pretending that the Saints where always awful and NFL gave us a Superbowl because of Katrina.

When people talk about the greatest WR in history it’s unanimously Jerry Rice because of his stats and longevity. You don’t hear people make excuses like “ahh well it’s just because his QBs never threw it to anyone else” or “anyone can catch those little check downs” and that’s what pisses me off about the arguments against Brees. “Well he throws it 100 times per game” “anyone could make these screen passes and throw for tons of yardage” ok...so why don’t they? Brees is statistically the greatest to ever do it and there’s no real argument against it
Well, Rice was on the team of the 80s, so his accomplishments seem that more impressive.
If Brees can get another championship, the perception changes drastically.

He will always be a Chief to me.

Anyone ever know what became of the great tight end of Tony Gonzalez’s draft, David LaFleur?

That 1997 draft got a lot of crap, but it was mostly from us. We drafted a bunch of meh players, but there was a lot of talent to be had int that draft, we just didn’t know where to find it.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom