Article Tony Gonzalez calls Drew Brees the GOAT (1 Viewer)

Winning the game is everyone's focus but whether you win or lose can not be determined by one person on the team. Drew does not play defense and he does not play special teams. All he does is play the QB position and he plays it better than anyone to ever be in the NFL.

Your comment reminds me of one that I read from a Ravens fan yesterday. He was comparing Joe Flacco with Drew Brees. He implied they were comparable and said he couldn't understand the Flacco hate. He admitted Drew was consistently more productive, but said they both had a ring, AND (this was my favorite part) he said Drew Brees always had better offensive players around him. He totally missed the fact that Flacco has had a defense on his Ravens teams.

Tony Gonzalez becomes HOF eligible in 2019. I bet the Falcon fans can't wait to claim him as their very own - just like they did with Morton Andersen.

When people talk about the greatest WR in history it’s unanimously Jerry Rice because of his stats and longevity. You don’t hear people make excuses like “ahh well it’s just because his QBs never threw it to anyone else” or “anyone can catch those little check downs” and that’s what pisses me off about the arguments against Brees. “Well he throws it 100 times per game” “anyone could make these screen passes and throw for tons of yardage” ok...so why don’t they? Brees is statistically the greatest to ever do it and there’s no real argument against it

So true. Makes no sense. QB is the only position that is judged like that. Nobody rips Barry Sanders for not having a Super Bowl ring. I think Barry won all of one playoff game in his career yet most people call him the goat. Nobody says, "Well any RB could rush for 2,000 yards with that many carries."

At every other position stats and records are the be all and end all. But here we have a QB who will hold basically all of the meaningful passing records and he's not considered the goat because he only has one Super Bowl win.

I'm kind of surprised this comes from a former Falcon...

By James Parks

The debate over who is the best to ever play the quarterback position in NFL history is one that will rage as long as the game of football is played, with some judging greatness by championships and others by more nuanced statistical measurement.

But after Drew Brees broke the National Football League’s record for all time passing yardage last week, the number of voices calling the New Orleans Saints quarterback the greatest ever have been increasing in number and in volume.

Among that chorus is FOX Sports analyst and former NFL tight end Tony Gonzalez, who said that he considers Brees the best to ever take a snap in the game’s history.

“I started looking back, because people started mumbling, ‘Who’s the greatest quarterback of all time?’” Gonzalez said on FOX during the Saints’ bye week.

“And still nobody wants to put him up there, and it’s making me upset. He has 5,000 yards [in a season]. He’s done that five times in his career. No other quarterback has done that more than once, not Tom Brady, not Peyton Manning. He’s got the best completion percentage in NFL history. And yet, when we start talking about the best quarterback of all time, he’s not even in the discussion, which makes no sense.”

Entire article here:

https://247sports.com/nfl/new-orleans-saints/Article/Drew-Brees-GOAT-123366151/

Actually if you watch the video Tony says, "You could say he's the greatest of all time," but when the woman says, "Say it" he won't/doesn't.
I think he stated the case well but he never actually says he thinks Drew is the GOAT.

I agree with Gonzalez that Brees is the GOAT. I don't agree that his height is what prevents him from getting more respect.

It's his winning percentage that holds him back, not his height. The rest of the QBs in the discussion have a way better winning percentage than Brees, and wins is how many people measure QBs.

I don't agree with measuring a QB by wins because, as a Saints fan, I know that Brees' winning percentage suffered because of mostly horrible defense. Nevertheless, it is wins that's holding Brees out of many "best ever" conversations.

The check down argument is total garbage.

Who has the most 20+ yard completions in NFL history?

Yep, that would be Drew Brees.

And he leads the league this year on a per game basis. In fact he's on pace to have the highest number of 20+ yard passes in a single season with 83.

Last edited:
I'm curious. What is the record for coming from behind in the 4th quarter to win?

Brees has the most game winning drives.
He's 3rd only behind Manning and Marino and tied with Brady and Favre with 43.

But if you factor in all the game winning drives that the defense or special teams ruined, he'd have the NFL record with roughly 60.

Last edited:
He will always be a Chief to me.

Anyone ever know what became of the great tight end of Tony Gonzalez’s draft, David LaFleur?

That 1997 draft got a lot of crap, but it was mostly from us. We drafted a bunch of meh players, but there was a lot of talent to be had int that draft, we just didn’t know where to find it.

Totally agree here.

The 1997 Chiefs may have quite possibly been the best Chiefs team I have ever seen in my lifetime. Some will argue the 1995 team's defense was better, but they were truly improved in 1997. I think the 1995 team could've reached the SB, but Dallas crushed them in the regular season that year and they had lost multiple games to Dallas where Aikman ripped them up. Dallas wouldn't have been a problem for them in 1997 but more than anything, the Chiefs used to own Green Bay whom they would've faced in the SB that year. They had the right defensive personnel that would've made life difficult for Favre and Holmgren's offense.

Broncos fans should forever be grateful for the Chiefs kicker missing those 2 easy field goals in that playoff game, thus forcing them into having to try and score in the red zone at the end of that game. Schottenheimer's worst coaching decision was taking Elvis Grbac over Rich Gannon for the playoffs. Yet despite this, they still lost thanks to their kicker missing all those field goals. They would've beat the Colts in 1995 too if not for Lin Elliott missing those 3 field goals and also forcing them to try and score in field goal range at the end.

He's 3rd only behind Manning and Elway and tied with Brady and Favre with 43.

But if you factor in all the game winning drives that the defense or special teams ruined, he'd have the NFL record with roughly 60.
Yep 2 come immediately to mind. Both pain me to think about. 2011 playoff in SF. Not once but twice he leads a 4th qtr drive to take the lead and twice the defense gives it back. Then last year against Minny. No more to be said on that one. Defense holds and arguably he has 3 rings. Both on the road. Smfh at these “experts “ who point to his only having one ring

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom