Too many CB's ? What should Saints do? (1 Viewer)

Guitarzan

Banned
Gold VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Releasing any is bad IMO

I believe (Triplett at?) NOLA.com broke down the benefits or lack thereof on this issue. If I recall correctly, we wouldn't save much by releasing P-Rob and would make a mistake releasing Greer. The only move that seemed to make sense if we didn't keep them all was to trade P-Rob... trying to find it and wifi is slow 2day... stay tuned

Here it is... in 2 articles I found most of what I believe has been reported. I think it makes no sense to release either player... via Triplett and Hogan respectively... reports:
It's just too bad Asomugha doesn't play another position. The Saints are arguably deeper at cornerback than anywhere else on their defense after signing Lewis to join incumbent starters Jabari Greer and Patrick Robinson.

It wouldn't make any financial sense to release Greer or Robinson. Greer's $3.6 million salary is guaranteed this year, and he already received a $400,000 roster bonus this month. Robinson's salary and bonuses this year add up to only $800,000.

http://www.nola.com/saints/index.ssf/2013/03/mixed_opinions_on_whether_nnam.html

and this report:

If Asomugha is signed, the Saints have a few options.

They could decide to keep all four cornerbacks along with 2012 fifth-round pick Corey White, forming a strong collection of pass defenders.

They also could decide to release Greer or Robinson, but neither is a strong candidate because Greer's salary is guaranteed and Robinson, who remains on his rookie contract, would offer little savings.

The Saints also could decide to trade one of the two, with the 25-year-old Robinson being the most likely candidate because of his age and reasonable contract (two years remaining with caps hits of $2.2 million and $2.3 million.

What should the Saints do?

http://www.nola.com/saints/index.ssf/2013/03/in_the_new_orleans_saints_sign.html

Keep all of them? Why release any of them. You will use 3 CB's on the field over 50% of the time anyways, not to mention injuries, special teams, and just overall depth.

Keep all of them? Why release any of them. You will use 3 CB's on the field over 50% of the time anyways, not to mention injuries, special teams, and just overall depth.

How about if they determine that Robinson just isn't good enough? Do we use the spot for another player who may be better or do we play lousy players due to their cap number?

Can we keep them all? There is a roster limit. I think things are good as of now but if Nnamdi is involvd and turns out to be still a bonfide #1 corner things could get complicated. Send P-rob to Dennis Allen and the Raiders for a 2nd round pick.

Trade Robinson for any draft pick you can get and then re-sign Mack.

Just on the roster we have right now:
-Keenan Lewis
-Jabari Greer
-Patrick Robinson
-Corey White
-Elbert Mack

And we're apparently interested in Sanders Commings through the draft and Nnamdi Asomugah in free agency. That in mind, here's the scenario I went through in a recent mock draft I took part in, representing the Saints. I did some wheeling and dealing that traded away Patrick Robinson, moved Malcolm Jenkins to Nickel Corner (the experiment has failed so far as I'm concerned, the dude just isn't a good Free Safety) and for the sake of this scenario, I had us signing Asomugha. Corey White gets moved as a backup/future starter at Strong Safety behind Harper and Bush while also being a reserve CB if needed.
Giving us the following lineup.
-Right CB: Nnamdi Asomugha (Starter), Jabari Greer (Rotation/4th CB)
-Left CB: Keenan Lewis (S), Elbert Mack (R)
-Nickel CB: Malcolm Jenkins (S), Corey White (R)

Keep all of em! Absolutely no need to relase Greer. He's still a legit starter n 3 starting calibur CBs is a must in today's NFL. Just say no to trading/releasing Robinson aswell. He isn't nearly as bad as some would make him out to b n he'll on get better learning from Lewis, Greer n NA(assuming NA will eventually sign with us)

Just on the roster we have right now:
-Keenan Lewis
-Jabari Greer
-Patrick Robinson
-Corey White
-Elbert Mack

And we're apparently interested in Sanders Commings through the draft and Nnamdi Asomugah in free agency. That in mind, here's the scenario I went through in a recent mock draft I took part in, representing the Saints. I did some wheeling and dealing that traded away Patrick Robinson, moved Malcolm Jenkins to Nickel Corner (the experiment has failed so far as I'm concerned, the dude just isn't a good Free Safety) and for the sake of this scenario, I had us signing Asomugha. Corey White gets moved as a backup/future starter at Strong Safety behind Harper and Bush while also being a reserve CB if needed.
Giving us the following lineup.
-Right CB: Nnamdi Asomugha (Starter), Jabari Greer (Rotation/4th CB)
-Left CB: Keenan Lewis (S), Elbert Mack (R)
-Nickel CB: Malcolm Jenkins (S), Corey White (R)

mack isnt on the roster.

and right now, we have

Keenan Lewis
Jabari Greer
Patrick Robinson
A.J. Davis
Corey White
Ryan Steed
Dion Turner

I am pretty sure we will have 10 corners when camp is in full swing.

We only have 6 CB's on the roster. And 3 of them were rookies last year, and are probably just PS bodies.

right now our top 3 would be Greer, Robinson and Lewis.

I think there is an expectation on this board that Namdi would be a starter, but what if we're just looking at him for depth? Clearly the contracts offered by us and the Niners can't be big money or he'd have taken one. I bet they are both near Vet Min (will gladly eat my words later).

Now you have a guy who could fight for a top 3-4 spot, but also teach the secondary Ryan's defense quickly. It's a smart move if it's for the cheap. I'd give up one possible ST spot for a guy like that.

When Gregg Williams came in we signed Leigh Torrence for that kind of a role. He was a quality back up, in his late 20's, and he knew the system.

Keep 4 starting-quality CBs! You need 3 in every game, and those guys get hurt.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom