Too Much Concern Over Whom We Play (1 Viewer)

RJ in Lafayette

Super Forum Fanatic
Gold VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Dallas, Seattle, Philadelphia. Which team we were going to play doesn't really matter--at least not compared to how well the Saints are going to play.

I understand that each of the three teams we could have played presented somewhat different challenges because each had different strengths and weaknesses. But none of these three teams (though Dallas is overall the most talented of the three) would have been as challenging as, say, the Chargers or Kansas City or even the Rams.

The Eagles are a one-dimensional football team. Two good fronts, very good receivers, and a quarterback who is non-elite but who seems to play his best in big games and is capable of playing like an elite quarterback (though there are 25 other quarterbacks in the league who on a given Sunday can play like an elite quarterback). The Eagles do not have a good running game, and I am not impressed by their back seven on defense, especially their secondary. The Eagles can win on Sunday--at the divisional-playoff round level, every team is good enough to win a divisional playoff game. But the Eagles are not likely to win on Sunday if the Saints play as they can play and like a team that has legitimate Super Bowl expectations.

For me, the question has been not which team we were going to play, but how well the Saints are going to play, which in large part depends on the health of our offensive line. If the offensive line is relatively healthy and we play as we have played, we will win--and the game, though not an easy one, should not come down to a last-minute field goal. If we are missing starters in our offensive line, we are not a Super Bowl team because our offense depends on an offensive line that is proficient at both pass-protection and run-blocking.

Was thinking this yesterday. I’m guilty of it like most fans, but it does not matter. Each team has its strengths and weaknesses, if we execute the game plan we win, if we don’t we loose does not matter who we play

The team really just needed time to take a breather and get back to fundamentals.
Get back to playing our Game.

Sean mentioned all week that we were doing self scouting, which is exactly what we need to be doing.
This week will be all about installing the game plan. I have a feeling we'll see a very aggressive game plan from Sean Sunday.

This is a discussion board. It's made for topics like this. I like talking about who I'd like to see us play. I'm not worried, but, not all matchups are equal. And regardless, any given Sunday can bring about all kinds of results. There's no doubt a lot rests on how well we play, but that's only part of the equation, so debating that can't hurt.

I've been to one playoff game before.. we faced the Eagles with their backup QB on January 13 of 2007.

Twelve years to the day later and I'm headed to this one and I'm confident I'll witness a similar result.

Each team advancing through the playoffs is playing well in the trenches.

We need our offensive line to dominate. Davenport needs to get past Peters.

I think last seasons playoff result should provide motivation enough. People are forgetting that we are a seasoned playoff team as well. We should have been playing in the NFCC last season but for one rookie mistake.
We get our chance now.

Totally agree. Over the past week and a half or so, I've noticed several factions posting here. One faction had all this concern over Seattle. Then you had another one all concerned over Dallas given what happened when the Saints played them earlier in the season. Now it is the Eagles. I get it, they are better than when the Saints last played them but come on. This is the best circumstance we could have asked for as the Eagles are the team the Saints much up the best against. The defensive secondary is, for the most part, full of backups and practice squad players due to all of the injuries. RB situation is the same. Sure, Foles gave them a lift and they do have a legitimate passing attack with good WRs and TEs but it is the same group of WRs that were there when the Saints demolished them 48-7. No one should be taken lightly and I'm not insinuating that at all but this is the best matchup we could have hoped for.

I am concern with all the teams that we are going play. It is hard for me to prefer this team to face over another. Every teams will have its strength that could pose as challenges for us.

The OP's last paragraph, for me, validates the concern some have expressed. This is a game of matchups and from time to time there has been a blueprint on display on how to beat us, specifically harass Drew and don't give him time to find the 2nd and 3rd receivers. With an o-line bruised, I was hoping to get Philly in Round 1 and LA in Round 2 because of the stout defensive fronts of the Bears/Boys. Now folks can go overboard with concern, but a little concern is not unmerited IMO given the state of TA specifically.

I would much rather play a football team in the playoffs with the lesser rated defense since we are an offensive team which equals points which equals the formula to win the game lol. If we played Dallas, there’s a way higher chance we score half the points we normally average.

I agree. We are having a great season yet half of what you see on SR report are gripes about the officials and bad calls, conspiracy theories, I’m nervous, I scared and I’m concerned while at the same time pointing fingers at other team fans who do the same thing.

The other teams have guys. We have guys, too. Guys who know how to win by brute force, force of will and by pulling victories out of their butts when necessary. They aren’t perfect but they are ours. I’m proud of them and I have plenty of reasons to believe in them.

Yes, it’s our nature to worry. Maybe we need to practice our swagger.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom