Too much meaning? (1 Viewer)

I don't know about "must win" because there is some finality to that statement that just doesn't exist. I look at all games up until you have the best playoff spot you can get wrapped-up as "need to win" games. Being a conference game with a good opponent it certainly holds possible play-off implications but it's not a "must-win" as it's too early to know that. Though if they do win it will not be a game that can come back to haunt them and when you win you have more control over your own destiny. If the worst happens and the Saints don't win and the Falcons do and they take the lead in the NFCS think about how good you'll feel after the Saints shut the door on them later after allowing them a peak at the top.

Well, said! Here Here!!

Yes...it's a big game for so many reasons. Sure, it's early in the season still and a lot can happen. HOWEVER...getting a win against the Giants this weekend is HUGE for us.

1. We win and that means there is only us and Minnesota being unbeaten in the NFC
2. We win and we hold the tiebreaker over the Giants for homefield advantage
3. We win and this gives us a perfect record in the NFC (3-0)
4. We win and we remain perfect at home...this is HUGE for continuing to fill the dome with rowdy fans to hold that advantage!!!
5. IF we lose....I could be mistaken but I believe we would technically be in second place in the NFC South, should the Fal-clowns win because they would hold a better NFC record than us :no:
6. We win and EVERYONE will finally be able to say we played a worthy opponent and arrived as an elite team

So, yes....there are some HUGE advantages to pulling out a win this weekend. With 3 undefeated teams (not normal after week 5 in the NFL), every win puts us closer to homefield advantage and a playoff berth!!!

Every game is the most important game of the year. Because it's the next game. This is the outlook that the players have, and it's the best outlook for fans as well.

I hate that the most of talking heads are all of a sudden picking the Saints.

It's like an added target on our backs.

Oh God forbid we lose, then Monday morning, some idiot like Skip Bayless will be on tv saying that we are the same old "aints" or that we finally played a really good team.

I don't know about you, but I am tired of hearing that the only good team we beat was the Eagles w/o Donavan McNabb.

Yes...it's a big game for so many reasons. Sure, it's early in the season still and a lot can happen. HOWEVER...getting a win against the Giants this weekend is HUGE for us.

1. We win and that means there is only us and Minnesota being unbeaten in the NFC
4. We win and we remain perfect at home...this is HUGE for continuing to fill the dome with rowdy fans to hold that advantage!!!
5. IF we lose....I could be mistaken but I believe we would technically be in second place in the NFC South, should the Fal-clowns win because they would hold a better NFC record than us :no:
6. We win and EVERYONE will finally be able to say we played a worthy opponent and arrived as an elite team

So, yes....there are some HUGE advantages to pulling out a win this weekend. With 3 undefeated teams (not normal after week 5 in the NFL), every win puts us closer to homefield advantage and a playoff berth!!!

Dude, awesome post! And I must say this stood out to me the most.

Do you think everyone puts to much meaning on this game.

Does it matter if we win this one if we lose the next two or
Does it matter if we lose this one if we win the next two
I guess my point is it is a long season and it is only one game.
Do you think we can burn ourselves out in week 6.

As one game of 16, a win-loss is not itself especially significant.

The importance of beating the Jints is this:

1) will it impact our ultimate chance of winning the division? no? then not as important

2) however, if we make the playoffs and are tied record-wise (including conference record) with the Giants then

3) if we've won our division and the Giants win the NFCE or we are both wildcards, this game could have a HUGE impact.
Playing on the road at NY in January vs home at the dome is a major disadvantage.

One thing going for NO is that our schedule is very favorable. Chances are we will have a better overall record than the Jints regardless of whether we lose this game or not.

IMO Must Win games don't happen until late in the season when a team is trying to stay alive. However, this is a Very Desirable game for all the reasons mentioned above. We would gain a lot by winning this game but if we lose it's not insurmountable.

Oh God forbid we lose, then Monday morning, some idiot like Skip Bayless will be on tv saying that we are the same old "aints" or that we finally played a really good team..

If you listen long enough, no matter who we beat there will always be someone that will say we're not legit. There will always be naysayers. There was always one or two people even during New England's '07 season that didn't believe in them.

All we need to be doing is winning big at the END of the year. Losing to the Giants would be horrible in the moment, but people would be over it in 3 days.

Everything's been pretty much covered in this thread about whether this is a "must win" or not. I'd like to see us win just to prove to oursleves that we are indeed an elite NFL team. I'm not talking about proving anything to the media, I'm talking about in the lockerroom. Confidence is a huge part of success in the NFL and I believe if we win this game, especially if we win convincingly, it could spring board us into a great record this regular season.

We have had terrific success thus far, but there's no doubt this is a measuring stick game.

For items 1 and 5; this is assuming that the Vikings beat the Ravens and the Falcons beat the Bears. Both will be tough games, I see Atlanta winning and the Vikings loosing. Well See. Good post.

Another benefit to winning the game....Not so much what EVERYONE will know we can beat a worthy team, but the confidence the Saints team would gain knowing they have the ability to win it all.

if we lost sunday do you think drew brees would have a press conference like tim tebow that would spring us to the championship. then we could get a really "cool" plaque like the gators and drew would really be a legend. you know to make him earn the breesus name.

Even though I'm hyped for this. If we lose I still believe we have what it takes to win the SB and beat these guys in the playoffs. Every team has bad games and 4-1, if you had told me that would be our record though 5 games I would have taken it happily. Conversely, I really wanna beat these guys and go 5-0 :hihi:

There's no doubt this is a measuring stick game.

Exactly.

It's not a "must win game", but it's a "Wanna win it real bad" game.

Coaches play down "measuring stick" games, but make no mistake, if we beat the Giants, it gives the Saints a lot of confidence.

Gives the fans a lot of euphoria, too.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom