Tool's next album... (1 Viewer)

I didn’t listen to 10,000 days until 2013. I’ll probably do the same and wait a few years before listening to this album. I think that’s what Maynard would want.

And Maynard has pointy elbows..

I've listened to the shirt out of the album already, or at least the six real songs on it.. and while it's probably not their best, it's very good and doesn't exhaust me. And I'd argue that they're still pretty easily the best at what they do.

They're the only ones who do what they do. "What they do" is play music that sounds, well, like TOOL.

This album is abysmal. I had hoped that it would at least top 10,000 Days, but I’m loath to say it does that. It’s an 80 minute drum solo with some flavorless riffs and overblown lyrics laid over top. The opening riff to “Culling Voices” is probably the most boring riff I’ve ever heard, and it inexplicably carries on for a full minute. It’s certainly isn’t something that should take 13 years to write and record.

I can’t fault Maynard for not having the same dynamic voice he had 25 years ago, but it was obviously a mistake for him to not participate in the songwriting process. There’s an obvious disconnect between the vocals and the instruments, and the resulting songs are all peculiar sounding.

And Maynard has pointy elbows..

I've listened to the shirt out of the album already, or at least the six real songs on it.. and while it's probably not their best, it's very good and doesn't exhaust me. And I'd argue that they're still pretty easily the best at what they do.

what I had to remind myself before it came out is that Maynard is all about artistry. So while I may constantly be waiting for the next Aenima, they are never going to try to reproduce that sound. They do the same thing in Perfect Circle so I don't like all of it but some of it is extremely good.

This album is more of a heavy rock album and I love it. But its not Aenima.

ok, so who's ready to talk about lyrics and the album's theme...

Fear Inoculum as an album is pretty straight forward and at the same time, layered

Invincible has really affected me. I've been playing the fork out of the live versions since they went online. But the studio version is something else. About the 4th time listening to it, I got chills and teared up a couple times. Right when MJK sings the second or third run of "heavy shield down" and "time bearing down". Such a beautiful song. And at the same time, one of the hardest riffs that will be igniting concert crowds, right at the 9:35 mark when Danny hits that cymbal. I can't wait to head bang to that sheet live.

One of the best things about Tool is that their music is ambivalent and can be discernible on a personal level. For me, Invincible is a lot about aging and coming to terms with our own limits and desire to have purpose. We deal with a lot of sheet from our daily struggles to imminent mortality. And at times, that "shield" feels so heavy, we have to let it down. And "bearing down" evokes the transition of birth to me. Like time itself is struggling to push us out of its vag. Such a powerful thought.

Oh, and I've added having an orgasm to Danny's Descending gong to my bucket list. Don't know if I'll be able to do it but I'll keep trying. Speaking if aging, it's just hard for me to make it past the 4 minute mark these days.

Oh, and I've added having an orgasm to Danny's Descending gong to my bucket list. Don't know if I'll be able to do it but I'll keep trying. Speaking if aging, it's just hard for me to make it past the 4 minute mark these days.

Your still setting life goals. Time hasn't forced that shield down too bad for you yet

You said deep huh huh.

Jk. Yea deep. I hadn’t gotten into the lyrics much but i agree with most of what you said about invincible. It’s my favorite on the new album. And clearly it’s talking about something along those lines

You said deep huh huh.

Jk. Yea deep. I hadn’t gotten into the lyrics much but i agree with most of what you said about invincible. It’s my favorite on the new album. And clearly it’s talking about something along those lines
way to do it

like Ward said, it's intended to be digested initially without the linguistic money load (again, this is meant to be deep) but rather felt from an organic spiritual and emotional experience meant to evoke an unspoken connection.

Culling Voices is really growing on me but I can't place it

Chocolate Trip is just fun as hell and the only song you have time to listen to the whole duration in normal daily routine. Like I said, 4 minutes

1567824885493.jpeg

ok then. Lets stick with that song shall we.

Caligula and Ponce De Leon, are the two concrete reference points.

those are indeed some interesting choices. Why them? Are they referencing traits that could have been found in any two conquerors or is there something specific about them?

Tales told of battles won, of things we’ve done, Caligula would grin.

Tears in my eyes chasing Ponce de Leon’s phantoms.

Tales told of battles won, of things we’ve done, Caligula would grin.
I think this is just a take on the current culture of modern day politics and business. It's still a world where sociopaths can excel with brutal tactics.
Tears in my eyes chasing Ponce de Leon’s phantoms.
Denial of aging and coming to terms with your own mortality.

I just watch the Alex Grey tedtalk for the first time the other day. For those who don't know, he's been doing the album art since Lateralus. Very interesting story and take on his own art.

and a good interview with MJK the other day... warning, it ends with mockingbeat ?‍♂️

Descending is creeping into my favorites.

Probably still sticking with invincible.

And now I can't say psychopathy correctly due to culling voices. Ha. Catchy hook too.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom