Top 10 college football teams of the decade (1 Viewer)

Nonsense. VY is arguably #1 over all college football. No way does Colt surpass him without a BCS Championship and a Heisman trophy and even then, it's arguable. No one in their right mind would ever start a college football team with Colt McCoy if Vince Young were available.

Nonsense. VY is arguably #1 over all college football. No way does Colt surpass him without a BCS Championship and a Heisman trophy and even then, it's arguable. No one in their right mind would ever start a college football team with Colt McCoy if Vince Young were available.

I tend to agree with that. My frame of reference is more of a "legend status among Texas fans" rather than "best player". Because yeah, nobody is going to take Colt over VY for a full season of college football.

It's hard to quantify what Ricky did for Texas, though.

He and Mack Brown represented the rebirth of Texas football.

It's hard to quantify what Ricky did for Texas, though.

He and Mack Brown represented the rebirth of Texas football.

Yeah I guess you have a point. Either way, the were both a couple of the greatest athletes to play college football.

Well I was looking at it differently I guess. I was looking at it more as where would the player rank all-time in terms of what they accomplished, not who would I select to lead my team. Had VY come back for his senior season then it's not even a debate regardless...but if Colt puts up the season expected and adds even that many more wins and a title, then in terms of ranking accomplishments I would rank him first over VY, if for no other reason than for the span of his career.

I guess there are really 3 different ways to analyze the question. Best player (who would you build around), best career (who accomplished the most), and legend status (probably a mix of the two, plus whether he has that little something special).

Vince's intangibles place him above Colt no matter what Colt's accomplishments will be. There wasn't a doubt in anyone's mind (except delusional SC fans) that when Texas took the field for what was obviously going to be the last drive in the Rose Bowl vs SC, Vince Young would see to it that the Longhorns would score whatever points they needed to win. As far as I was concerned, the game was over when Vince took them out of the huddle.

Colt will never be that guy. His best hope would be the burnt orange Jason White.

LC, What's the best defense that McCoy has played against?

Vince's intangibles place him above Colt no matter what Colt's accomplishments will be. There wasn't a doubt in anyone's mind (except delusional SC fans) that when Texas took the field for what was obviously going to be the last drive in the Rose Bowl vs SC, Vince Young would see to it that the Longhorns would score whatever points they needed to win. As far as I was concerned, the game was over when Vince took them out of the huddle.

Colt will never be that guy. His best hope would be the burnt orange Jason White.

Based on just last year, id say Ohio St.. Not sure about before that.

It's got to be Ohio State last year .

Colt put up 24, VY put up 25. VY with undoubtedly a more talented offense.But, VY did it on the road. Shrug. Colt brought them back on a game winning drive in that game, and several times before. He was huge in the OU game. Colt has pulled out several of his own memorable moments, it's juts that his style of play is not as electrifying or memorable as VY's.

But I really wouldn't put Colt in Jason White territory. With White you're talking about a system QB that played behind a supremely talented offensive line with supremely talented receivers and backs. The Texas OLine has been mediocre (last year) to subpar (2-3 years ago) during Colt's reign. The RBs have been nothing special. Colt IS the Horns' offense, Jason White was not. White was replaceable, Colt is not.

That being said ,I still agree with the sentiment that Colt will never pass VY, status wise, barring some sort of ridiculous, season for the ages (IE VY 2005). I mean, ya'll said it, not me... VY is arguably the greatest college football player ever. Colt probably can't do enough to put himself into that picture.

That being said ,I still agree with the sentiment that Colt will never pass VY, status wise, barring some sort of ridiculous, season for the ages (IE VY 2005). I mean, ya'll said it, not me... VY is arguably the greatest college football player ever. Colt probably can't do enough to put himself into that picture.

I have to agree with your argument. I would say Tebow has already passed VY in greatness. It must be nice to have good QB's.

Colt has pulled out several of his own memorable moments, it's juts that his style of play is not as electrifying or memorable as VY's.

This one always comes to mind..

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/rccuLD64A68&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/rccuLD64A68&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

And this was beast mode

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/bOoS6cXV4f8&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/bOoS6cXV4f8&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

I have to agree with your argument. I would say Tebow has already passed VY in greatness. It must be nice to have good QB's.

Oh yeah.. A while back.

Tebow put up 700 less yards of total offense his junior year than Young did. Tebow has 800 less yards of total offense through his first three years, despite starting four more full games than VY did.

Tebow has 6 losses through three years. Vince had 4 losses in three years.

But, Tebow can baptize babies simply by urinating on them, and Vince couldn't, so I guess there's no argument here. :shrug:

Conference pride... :smilielol:

Last edited:
Tebow put up 700 less yards of total offense his junior year than Young did. Tebow has 800 less yards of total offense through his first three years, despite starting four more full games that VY did.

But, Tebow can baptize babies simply by urinating on them, and Vince couldn't, so I guess there's no argument here. :huh:

Conference pride... :smilielol:

Not necessarily.. Stats just dont always measure greatness.. Sometimes its just a players ability to deliver in clutch situations, or leadership, etc. Also, with Florida's predominantly run offense, he didnt get the opportunity to put up those kinda numbers.. Not really defending him.. Im a MSU/UGA fan.

Tebow has two rings. VY has one. Tebow won a Heisman, VY didnt. Tebow arguably shoulda won it last year also and could possibly win it this year, depending on Colts year (and a few others). Its a tough comparison, and im not trying to start a battle... Just throwing a few little side notes in there.

Last edited:
Not necessarily.. Stats just dont always measure greatness..

Agreed.

Sometimes its just a players ability to deliver in clutch situations, or leadership,

VY is one of the most clutch players I have ever seen in any sport. This is a bad argument for you to make. VY was a fantastic leader in college (can't say the same in the NFL).

etc. Also, with Florida's predominantly run offense, he didnt get the opportunity to put up those kinda numbers.. Not really defending him.. Im a MSU/UGA fan.

Actually, he has more pass attempts through three years than VY did.

And don't get me started on his cheap "run it in from the 1 to rack up stats" touchdowns. 117 other teams use their RB for that situation, Urban Meyer uses Tebow to get him stats, accolades, hype, etc. Not saying it's a bad move, it's good for recruiting and prestige, but it's cheap and Tebow's rushing TDs are massively overinflated.

As for the titles - that's a team deal. Tebow's teams have had far more talent than Texas did in 2003, 2004, and even probably 2005.

The Heisman is pretty much a team deal as well. It's almost always the best player on the best team. The entire nation believed USC to be the best team in '05, pre-Rose Bowl, thus Reggie's Heisman. What do you think the outcome of a re-vote for 2005 would be now?

BTW - I believe Tebow got screwed last year by the Jordan effect (don't want to give it to the same guy twice), and Colt got screwed by not being in the title game. It should have come down to McCoy and Tebow... pick your winner.

VY is one of the most clutch players I have ever seen in any sport. This is a bad argument for you to make. VY was a fantastic leader in college (can't say the same in the NFL).

I wont argue against that.. Thats why i said its a tough comparison.. But if you say Tebow isnt comparable to VY as far as being clutch, then id say rewatch some games ha.

And don't get me started on his cheap "run it in from the 1 to rack up stats" touchdowns. 117 other teams use their RB for that situation, Urban Meyer uses Tebow to get him stats, accolades, hype, etc. Not saying it's a bad move, it's good for recruiting and prestige, but it's cheap and Tebow's rushing TDs are massively overinflated.

Ill use the same argument i use everytime i hear this.. Seems to be the only argument against Tebows playing so i hear it repeatedly. If you were Urban Meyer and had a 240 lb QB that runs like a FB, and 175 RB that is a speed and moves guy, who would you send up the gut to gain 1 yd?? He does what works and everyone wants to call it "stat padding". Meyer does what it takes to win. Hence two NC rings in the past three years.

As for the titles - that's a team deal. Tebow's teams have had far more talent than Texas did in 2003, 2004, and even probably 2005.

The Heisman is pretty much a team deal as well. It's almost always the best player on the best team. The entire nation believed USC to be the best team in '05, pre-Rose Bowl, thus Reggie's Heisman. What do you think the outcome of a re-vote for 2005 would be now?

BTW - I believe Tebow got screwed last year by the Jordan effect (don't want to give it to the same guy twice), and Colt got screwed by not being in the title game. It should have come down to McCoy and Tebow... pick your winner

Ill agree with all that.. Hard to compare a 05 Texas team to an 08 Florida team but yeah if you go back and re vote after that game, VY would have got it... BUT, the Heisman is based on the whole year, not just one game, even if its the NC.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom