Top 10 Happiest Saints Moments of the Last 25 Years...... (1 Viewer)

cwebb41

Rookie
Reaction score
Being a die-hard Saints fan since 1987, here is my personal top 10 list of the happiest moments of being a Saints fan of the last 25 years.

10. Robert Meacham Forces Overtime -- When Redskins kicker Suisham missed a chip shot 23-yard field goal to seal the game, my jaw hit the floor.......only to have Brees hit Meachem in stride for a exhilarating 55-yard touchdown to force overtime, I picked up my jaw and jumped straight out of my seat!

9. Morten Anderson defeats 49ers -- Oh that 1993 season. So much hope. Die-hard Saints fan can remember the last second field goal by Morten Anderson in the dome to beat the 49ers on national television to go 5-0. Too bad the wheels fell off for the next seven years until..........

8. Hakim Drops the Ball -- Year 2000, St. Louis Rams roaring back from a 31-7 deficit in the Superdome and the ghosts of playoff pasts dancing through the minds of Saints fans everywhere as Hakim takes the punt and FUMBLE! YES! First ever playoff win!

7. Hartley Kicks us to the Super Bowl -- That NFC championship is still one of the most grueling, nail-biting and gut-wrenching games I have ever witnessed. When the ball went through the uprights, it was like a huge weight fell off the shoulders of Saints Nation.

6. Ricky Jackson Elected to the Hall of Fame -- Loved the dome patrol growing up as a kid and Rickey was my favorite of the big four! And for Rickey to be the first ever Saint to get elected to the Hall of Fame was a special moment. In my eyes, the second greatest linebacker in NFL history next to LT.

5.The Blocked Punt -- What an electric atmosphere that night in 2006.....the reopening of the Superdome against the hated Falcons, Steve Gleason breaks through for the block heard around the world! That was the night when the city was reborn again.

4.Porter Intercepts Favre -- Gut-wrenching, nervous times at the end of regulation. 19 seconds to go, 3rd down at the 33 yard line, you figure a quick hand-off and a potential game-winning field goal for the Vikings .......until.......12 men in the huddle? Then Favre the gunslinger gets burned......thank you Tracy Porter! You will forever be immortal.

3. Porter Intercepts Manning -- I think for many Saints fans, this would be number one on the list......the eruption from Saints nation from that one moment ---- priceless!

2. Reggie Bush Being Drafted. -- The heartache I felt for the city of New Orleans because of Katrina and the woeful 2005 season led up to this wonderful moment as a Saints fan...........with the news of the pre-draft deal with Mario Williams going first to Houston, it felt like a gift from the heavens when the commissioner announced "Saints select Reggie Bush"......it was a rush of happiness, FINALLY, a glimmer of hope that things may soon turn around. Who cares if he wasn't the next Gayle Sayers, Reggie getting drafted went a long way in the healing process in the Big Easy.

1. Coach Payton's Gatorade Splash -- Need I say more?

What are your happiest moments as a Saints fan?

I don't remember number 10 the way you do. I recall it as the ball was intercepted, and Meacham ripped it away from the interceptor for a TD.

Are you forgetting the River City Relay? Wow, that was so brilliant unbelievable. Then a big choke on the extra point by Carney. That was definitely a defining moment. XP to go to overtime with the Jags. I coudn't believe it -- nor could I believe my eyes to see Meacham rip that ball away at Redskins for a Saints win. Porter is a hero!

I do remember the River City Relay very well .....what a happy moment, followed immediately by one of the LOWEST moments.......Carney's missed extra point eliminated us from the playoffs!

I can't believe you didn't name #5 "Rebirth"

Being a die-hard Saints fan since 1987, here is my personal top 10 list of the happiest moments of being a Saints fan of the last 25 years.

10. Robert Meacham Forces Overtime -- When Redskins kicker Suisham missed a chip shot 23-yard field goal to seal the game, my jaw hit the floor.......only to have Brees hit Meachem in stride for a exhilarating 55-yard touchdown to force overtime, I picked up my jaw and jumped straight out of my seat!

I'd swap your #10 with Meachem stealing the interception from the Redskins... I'll never forget that beauty.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/DJxE1RAgVyI" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

The Times Picayune issue with AMEN written across the top. I still get giddy when I see that thing.

Meachem ripping away the INT was definitely what stuck from the Redskins games.

Bobby McCray taking out both Warner and Favre. His hits on the QBs were crucial to us even getting to the SB.

I'm young, so I don't remember really any Saints football until around the 96-97 season.

With that being said, numbers 7, 4 and 3 all surpass Reggie being drafted, at least for me. I remember being so pumped about us getting Reggie Bush, but that feeling doesn't even compare to how I felt when Tracy Porter picked off Peyton Manning. That was the greatest football moment of my life, surpassing the "Bluegrass Miracle" and the first touchdown I scored in high school. That play is one I will never forget.

Porter's int (super bowl) is my favorite, immediately followed by Hartley's OT kick vs Minn...then a close 3rd would be the Porter int against Favre. Those 3 moments will never be trumped for me as a fan.

Drafting Reggie Bush and Ricky Jackson in the Hall of Fame were great moments, but, NO WAY are they more exciting than Porter's INT and Hartley's kick. They are easily 2nd and 3rd.

10. Aaron Brooks brings back the Saints to beat the 49ers in his first start on the road ever. (I was at that game.)

9. Saints beat down the Cardinals in playoffs.

8. Saints beat the 49ers in week 2 of the regular 2010 season with a wobbily Garret Hartley kick ( I was at that game).

7. Saints crush the Patriots 2009 (I knew we were for real)

6. Saints crushing the Cowboys 2006.

5. Jimmy Graham catches that td against the 49ers in the playoffs (such a shame we lost)
4. Reggie Bush 85 yard td against the bears in the playoffs.
3. Hartley Kicks the field goal to send us to the SB
2. Porter Intercepts Favre
1. Porter intercepts Manning

The Times Picayune issue with AMEN written across the top. I still get giddy when I see that thing.

Meachem ripping away the INT was definitely what stuck from the Redskins games.

Bobby McCray taking out both Warner and Favre. His hits on the QBs were crucial to us even getting to the SB.

We have a framed version of this hanging in our bedroom.

I'd swap your #10 with Meachem stealing the interception from the Redskins... I'll never forget that beauty.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/DJxE1RAgVyI" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

while it is a tremendous play in and of itself, I was much "happier" when Brees hit Meachem for that 55 yard td to send us into overtime

add on the fact we had a perfect season going, that made it so much more exhilarating.

The 2006 Eagles playoff game has to be on that list somewhere. When Deuce sealed the game with that last first-down run, we were headed to our first NFCCG ever.

10. Aaron Brooks brings back the Saints to beat the 49ers in his first start on the road ever. (I was at that game.)

9. Saints beat down the Cardinals in playoffs.

8. Saints beat the 49ers in week 2 of the regular 2010 season with a wobbily Garret Hartley kick ( I was at that game).

7. Saints crush the Patriots 2009 (I knew we were for real)

6. Saints crushing the Cowboys 2006.

5. Jimmy Graham catches that td against the 49ers in the playoffs (such a shame we lost)
4. Reggie Bush 85 yard td against the bears in the playoffs.
3. Hartley Kicks the field goal to send us to the SB
2. Porter Intercepts Favre
1. Porter intercepts Manning

Your post is more on the past 8 years. I don't even remember half of these Happy moments. Four, three, and one may be the only three that make my top ten from this list.

That was the moment I knew we would win the Superbowl that season.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom