Top 10 kickers and punters in NFL (1 Viewer)

BlackandGoldXLIV

Lurkules (since 2001)
Gold VIP Contributor
Reaction score
At least the write-up on Lutz immediately addresses the biggest blown call in the history of sports right out of the gate.

Lutz should be known as the guy who sealed the Saints ticket to the SuperBowl as time expired vs the Rams.

But I digress... it wasn’t in the script.

I firmly believe that Morstead is the 2nd best player on the team behind Brees. Jordan would be 3rd. Beyond that it's harder to rank them but you gotta have Armstead, Thomas, Kamara and Lattimore battling for 4-7.

Morstead's greatness managed to overshadow some pretty spotty coverage units here and there.

I think that’s been fixed now. Both Chris Banjo n Justin Hardee have quietly become 2 of our best STs players, and possibly the best PAIR of gunners in the SP era.

Banjo was one of the first FAs the team resigned during the offseason, largely due to his stellar play on STs. The Saints signed Hardee back in 2017, and converted him from WR to CB. But it was his play on STs that earned him a spot on the 53. He came back even more focused on his STs play last year, while continuing to learn the CB position.

Not only does Hardee have size and speed ( 6’1”, 201, 4.36 forty), he also brings effort n confidence to the table:

“He just has that right mentality,” punter Thomas Morstead said. “He wants to make every play.”

If healthy, our punt team should once again be pretty solid this year. We have a nice core, which includes Taysom, who always has to be accounted for as a potential threat on the fake. But there’s also room for a rook or even 2, who could impress, and make their way on the 53 with STs play.

I really like Kaden Elliss here! I love his size n athleticism, and if he matches it with his effort, like I think he will, he makes it!

The Leg - what more can you say about the guy? One of the all-time great punters, great teammate, great in the community - both for his charity work and the all around goodwill he spreads for the city and region.

He's made $26 million punting in the NFL and when he finishes this contract in 2022, it will be $40 million. I remember when the Saints traded up into the 5th round to get him that year and thought to myself "trading up for a punter? Okay, whatever - I'll trust they know what they're doing." What a move that turned out to be.

Crazy thing is that he wasn't the first punter taken in that draft. The Bengals took Kevin Huber, also in the 5th round, 22 picks before Morstead. Huber is still with them and has a solid career, but I dont' see him in the top 10.

Love this thread... shining a spotlight on an oft forgotten aspect of the game. But it pays big dividends in the field position advantage (or disadvantage).

Now... if we could only get our return game going with play similar to Tyrone Hughes, Michael "Beerman" Lewis, and Reggie Bush. Shucks... I'd even go for an Old School Saints return man like Howard Stevens!

:gosaints:

lol - Is Morestead going to become the 1st $10 mil per year punter???

I am trying to be a little funny with the FA superstar contract craziness, but if any punter ever deserved a contract that large, It is Morestead

And they made him #1 without having to mention Ambush.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom