Top 10 QB's Ever (1 Viewer)

If you compare Marino to his peers in his era...it was downright silly. He played in an era which CBs could mug the WR down the field. Marino essentially modernized the downfield passing game.

The same people who believe that Brees only having one less championship than Manning should be overlooked, are the same that say that Brees having one more championship in a team sport than Marino makes all the difference in the world. They were all great, and quite frankly I don't know who should be higher than who...but don't speak out of both sides of your mouth just because you're a Saints fan.

Right now, maybe it's an argument.

But when Brees finishes his career as the all time leader in yards, completions, completion %, and maybe even TDs, there will be zero logic in putting Marino above him.

Right now, maybe it's an argument.

But when Brees finishes his career as the all time leader in yards, completions, completion %, and maybe even TDs, there will be zero logic in putting Marino above him.

They are still just football stats which lack normalization.

Vinny Testaverde is 9th in Passing Yards and 13th in TDs nobody would ever make an argument that he is one of the Top 40 QBs of all-time.

Matt Ryan is 9th in career completion %, 25th in Passing Yards, and 30th in Passing TDs...again not a top 40 QB.

Philip Rivers ranks 6th, 13th, and 9th in those stats you want to make an argument he is better than Montana.

Tony Romo is 4th, 28th, and 21st I would never argue him as being the best Cowboys QB would you?

Brees is great no doubt but football stats dont really win arguments.

I think he's the greatest of all time. At least, he's had the best 10 year run any QB has ever seen. If he didn't constantly have to carry a ****** defense the biggest question would be whether or not he had a ring on his thumb too.

Montana was solid but he also had one of the best situations to play in of any QB in history.

They had it all. Run game/top OL (and they used it a lot), top defense, Jerry Rice, innovative offensive coach, and of course the cheating in the organization also helped.

They had none of that during the first SB run. It was Walsh and Montana only.

They had none of that during the first SB run. It was Walsh and Montana only.

They had some decent defensive components on their first run:
Keena Turner
Hacksaw Reynolds
Eric Wright
Dwight Hicks
Ronnie Lott
Fred Dean

Doesnt make Walsh or Montana any less awesome.

I'm not going to get upset about someone naming Brees the 10th best of all time (even though I think he should be higher). But I do find it hilarious that in Drew's section of the article they spent more time talking about Brett Favre and Aaron Rodgers. Drew's accomplishments were barely mentioned.

They are still just football stats which lack normalization.

Vinny Testaverde is 9th in Passing Yards and 13th in TDs nobody would ever make an argument that he is one of the Top 40 QBs of all-time.

Matt Ryan is 9th in career completion %, 25th in Passing Yards, and 30th in Passing TDs...again not a top 40 QB.

Philip Rivers ranks 6th, 13th, and 9th in those stats you want to make an argument he is better than Montana.

Tony Romo is 4th, 28th, and 21st I would never argue him as being the best Cowboys QB would you?

Brees is great no doubt but football stats dont really win arguments.

There is when he is #1-#3 in nearly every important statistical category there is for a qb

It would be different if he was only elite in certain areas, but the dude is elite in every area

I like the list except for Brady being 1a. Tom Brady has played in an awesome system with a coach who pushes the edge of legitimacy. He does not deserve to be rated higher than Montana in ANY way. I wouldn't even put him ahead of Elway or Marino. Imagine Marino playing in Tom Brady's situation!!!! On any other team Brady would have been very good, but probably not even mentioned on this list.

Kris

If you compare Marino to his peers in his era...it was downright silly. He played in an era which CBs could mug the WR down the field. Marino essentially modernized the downfield passing game.

The same people who believe that Brees only having one less championship than Manning should be overlooked, are the same that say that Brees having one more championship in a team sport than Marino makes all the difference in the world. They were all great, and quite frankly I don't know who should be higher than who...but don't speak out of both sides of your mouth just because you're a Saints fan.

Speaking out of both sides of your mouth...you do realize the passing rules were changed which enabled Marino to break Fouts' records? Chargers fans complained when Marino broke Fouts' records (and defended the pass-happy rule changes). Those same Dolphins fans are now complaining because Brees is doing the same thing. And it will happen again when someone breaks all of these records that Brees is now setting and all us Saints fans will then complain. Do I think Marino was a phenomenal talent? I watched him play his whole career and he was amazing. But I still would take Brees any day and no not because I am a Saints fan. Aside from Peyton Manning I don't know of another QA who prepares better than Brees. Again, the numbers above speak for themselves.[/QUOTE]

I like the list except for Brady being 1a. Tom Brady has played in an awesome system with a coach who pushes the edge of legitimacy. He does not deserve to be rated higher than Montana in ANY way. I wouldn't even put him ahead of Elway or Marino. Imagine Marino playing in Tom Brady's situation!!!! On any other team Brady would have been very good, but probably not even mentioned on this list.

Kris

Did Montana not also play in an offensive system with a coach who pushed the edge of legitimacy? Not to mention Bill Walsh was an offensive innovator.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom