Top 100 Free Agents (1 Viewer)

This. They sent Elway out a winner with a similar strategy and then turned around 15 years later and did it again for an aging first ballot HOF'er.

I see no reason why the Saints can't do the same for Brees.

Spend money on D. Backload contracts. Go all in. Get the big holes filled with solid->upper tier free agents. Fill the small holes & depth with draft picks. Don't be afraid to trade back into the first if a guy like Takk or Cunningham drops.

4 years ago, they made a play for it all and every single move seemed to bust. I don't care. Go for it all again.

All I ask is that we learn from history and start in the trenches. WDE, RG, and Fairley need to be the first pieces signed, IMHO. Then the LB & CB.

I hope we don't spend big on a RE. The free agents available have bust written all over them IMO. Nick Perry is the only one I would go after, and only if it's not a huge contract. Maybe a Coby Fleener size deal. I think RE will be fine between Kikaha and a rookie (2nd round pick)

On the other hand, I hope we go after the top 3 guards and corners. Pay them whatever it takes. Kevin Zeitler/Andrew Norwell/Larry Warford and Trumaine Johnson/AJ Bouye/Logan Ryan.

I've been all about drafting a DE in round 1, but if Reuben Foster is there at 11 I'd take him and get my RE in round 2.

My picks (in order of preference)

CB: Bouye, Ryan, Haden
RG: Warford, Lang, Leary (Zeitler will be out of our $$ for our needs)
DE: Mario Addison, Nick Perry, Sheard
LB: Zach Brown, Malcolm Smith, Gerald Hodges, Orr, Worrilow (Hightower too pricey)

I think it's very possible to get one at each of these levels, possibly two LB's if we don't resign Fairley.

It's tough to say who the Pats will keep on defense. Butler, Ryan, Hightower and Sheard are all FA's as well as Floyd and some OL.

My picks (in order of preference)

CB: Bouye, Ryan, Haden
RG: Warford, Lang, Leary (Zeitler will be out of our $$ for our needs)
DE: Mario Addison, Nick Perry, Sheard
LB: Zach Brown, Malcolm Smith, Gerald Hodges, Orr, Worrilow (Hightower too pricey)

I think it's very possible to get one at each of these levels, possibly two LB's if we don't resign Fairley.

It's tough to say who the Pats will keep on defense. Butler, Ryan, Hightower and Sheard are all FA's as well as Floyd and some OL.

I hope we don't go after Joe Haden. Only 1 CB had a worse PFF grade than Haden in 2015... Brandon Browner. Haden was also 0.1 points from allowing a perfect QB rating when targeted.

In 2016 Joe Haden earned a below-average coverage grade for a second-straight year, and had a career-high 10 missed tackles

We got some money to play with and I fully expect Loomis to find some more money by getting an extension or restructure of a contract somewhere along the line.

DE, OG, and CB can be rightly squared away if we snag the right players.
We do this and the draft is BPA at every pick. I'm salivating at the thought of upgrading and getting talented depth.

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk

Just realized Andrew Norwell is a RFA. Carolina won't let him go. Hope we can sign Kevin Zeitler or Larry Warford along with AJ Bouye or Trumaine Johnson.

I like Gilmore, but I'd be concerned if we brought him in. Everything I've seen and read has attributed his recent struggles to pattern recognition in zone coverages and specifically match zone concepts. Basically, when he can't play an aggressive
press at the line and just trail the WR for a few yards with a great passrush, he really struggles. I'd love him if we were a press man team like KC, but we seem to use an awful lot of off man zones. Though, if we had him, I think Gilmore, Breaux, PJ, and Crawley would be a pretty good press man group.

I have been against going after Morris Claiborne in free agency, but this is interesting. PFF has him as a top 10 FA, over Stephon Gilmore.

A season ago, Claiborne looked like a draft bust for the Cowboys, but this year, he was a different player, finishing the season as PFF’s 12th-ranked CB with an overall grade of 84.7. Claiborne only played half of the 2016 season before going down hurt, but in that half of a year, he looked like a different player than in previous seasons. When targeted, the completion percentage he allowed dropped 10 percent from the best previous year of his career to 51.9, and he gave up a passer rating of 63.0, more than 30 points better than any other year. When beaten, he was even giving up smaller plays, averaging just 8.9 yards per catch this past year—his previous career average was 14.4.

https://www.profootballfocus.com/pro-top-10-players-set-to-hit-free-agency/

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom