Top 5 best & worst free agent signings and draft picks (1 Viewer)

WhoDat_SB44

Pimpin' Ain't Breesy!
Reaction score
Top 5 Saints draft picks:

1. Willie Roaf OT - either him or Rickey could be #1. Great player)
2. Rickey Jackson OLB (see above, greatest pass rusher to play here)
3. Deuce McAllister RB (best running back to ever play here)
4. Marques Colston WR (best receiver to play here and we got him in the 7th round)
5. Will Smith DE (Cam could probably be here, but went with the guy that played here his whole career)

Top 5 free agents:

1. Drew Brees QB (best player to ever play here. Won us a super bowl)
2. Joe Horn WR (one of the best receivers to play here)
3. Darren Sproles RB (loved this guy. One of the top weapons we ever had on offense)
4. Jabari Greer CB (one of the best corners to play here. Wasn’t seen as a big signing at first, but he was maybe the best corner ever)
5. Darren Sharper S (their maybe is better players to go ahead of him that were here longer. But he was so influential to helping us win our one and only super bowl. He was a turnover machine that everyone thought was way past his prime)

Top 5 worst draft picks

1. Jonathan Sullivan DT (just hearing his name makes me want to puke. That was such a dumb move we made back then)
2. Shawn Knight DE (don’t know about most of these guys but reading about them they sounded horrible)
3. Kevin Hardy DT
4. Russell Erxleben P (a punter that early?!?! WTF were we thinking)
5. Rick Leonard (Just kidding)
5. Royce Smith G

Top 5 worst free agents
1. Jason David CB (one of them players that got a good deal cause their team won the super bowl the year before. He was horrible!)
2. Albert Connell WR (thought he had some talent. Was decent for the Redskins. Come here and steals someone’s wallet lol)
3. Brandon Browner CB (a HUGE corner that was really successful for two of the better teams in football the Seahawks & Patriots. But both those teams had good to great defenses to cover up his extreme deficiencies.)
4. Dale Carter CB (another corner with talent that just couldn’t get it done here.)
5. Wally Williams G (a guard that had a ton of talent. We made him the top paid guard at the time and maybe that had a lot to do with his downfall. Hit with injuries and terrible work ethic made him a terrible signing)

One thing that sticks out is our terrible luck in bringing in corners. Looks like we finally gotten past that with Crawley, Breaux, and others. Hope PRob isn’t the next in a long line of corners that were good elsewhere only to come here and be the worst corner you have ever seen. The best acquisition of all time is easy, Drew Brees!! I always have a special place in my heart for Nick Saban and the Dolphins. Not only did he win a championship for my LSU Tigers, but was also a HUGE reason my NOLA Saints won a championship as well. The worst acquisition of all time has to be the draft of Jonathan Sullivan. To give up two first round picks for a defensive tackle that was down right terrible still stings this Saints fan.

how does Jarrius Byrd not make it?

recency bias aside, it's hard to overlook that fact that getting Michael Thomas in the 2nd and he's outperformed just about every WR in his 1st 2 years - hard to ignore that
similar with Kamara as a 3rd

Not only is Drew Brees the absolute top free agent to ever sign and play here,... but on NFL Network's Top 10 free agent signings, he is also #1.

how does Jarrius Byrd not make it?

recency bias aside, it's hard to overlook that fact that getting Michael Thomas in the 2nd and he's outperformed just about every WR in his 1st 2 years - hard to ignore that
similar with Kamara as a 3rd

"...outperformed just about every WR..." In fact Michael Thomas caught more passes in his first two years in the NFL than ANY other WR ever.

The worst draft picks section is the only area that I have any problem with and it's only because of the omissions and limitation to five. :cry2: Sullivan wouldn't even make my five worst list, much less be listed as the worst.

1. Erxleben - no explanation necessary
2. Rick Middleton - my personal favorite worst pick, since he was horrible in the two seasons he played for New Orleans and was taken one pick before Randy Gradishar, his college teammate who played linebacker as well and was the heart of the Orange Crush defense.
3. Hardy, Smith, Knight, Lindsey Scott and Larry Burton tie. Hardy never played for the Saints, Smith was a backup in his brief "career," Knight was so bad that he was traded a year later for the Broncos' own first round bust Ted Gregory, Scott had one TD in his miserable four seasons and Bricks for Hands Burton had no business in an NFL uniform.

I would have to include either Jahri Evans or Carl Nicks in the top 5. I mean if you are talking impact both of those guys were a huge reason why we have a SB championship....

I would have to include either Jahri Evans or Carl Nicks in the top 5. I mean if you are talking impact both of those guys were a huge reason why we have a SB championship....

Great or terrible players are always left out of top 5 lists. Top 10 lists are hard to compile. Lotta work, hard to read, too.

Glover should definitely be in that list and maybe I was in a coma but I don't remember Dale Carter playing for us, can someone verify roughly what year that was?

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom