Top 5 reasons our secondary looked bad last season and will be improved this season. (1 Viewer)

Tackling skills, or lack there of, was a very major problem.

1. Poor fundamentals
2. Lack of pass rush
3. Mass confustion

I was going to put pass rush first, but there were times we got good pressure, but the QB was able to hit the gaping hole in the zone, or hit the uncovered WR up the seams. Our secondary just looked like a confused bunch out there. CB's passing WR's off to non-existent safties. Poor tackling, too much cushion. Just pooor poor play in the secondary all away around. A good pass rush would have helped a little, but not by much. We need to get better in both areas. A good pass rush will help a secondary out more than a secondary will help the pass rush. But QB's today are so good at getting ball out you have to be able to cover.

I agree that the secondary has to have the benefit of the doubt, because of what they did in 2010 and 2011. I think bad coaching was the primary reason for this season's play. I think the players are decent, and that a pressure scheme mixed with man coverage suits them better.
I think people are overreacting in part when it comes to this D. The secondary can be better with the current players. I'm more concerned about the front 7.

Smh I so tired of this pat Rob is a man to man press corner, that's all he played in college. Spags comes over and tries to make him a zone corner. And to top it off there was no pressure. We watch drew brees stand in the pocket all game and pick apart zone defense. Zone only works with pressure.

Thank you! I am so glad someone said it. All I corners looked bad in Spag's system with the possible exception of Mack. It was the system not the corners. Pat Robinson was actually getting better in the 2011-2012 season.

Regarding the P-Rob discussion, take a look at this write up where he ranked 2nd worst corner in the league according to an article titled "Stats Don't Lie"

Stats Don't Lie: The NFL's 10 Worst Cornerbacks Of 2012

You could say the scheme and some other things weren't the best fit but as the article states, the stats don't lie and his were completely aweful. Most yards, most yards per catch, and most TD's given up by any corner in the NFL. So a scheme change might make him marginal (even that's debatable) instead of worst in the NFL, but is that what we are really after is marginal??????

Has anyone here analyzed last year's game tape, just to see which plays were the result of: bad technique / not knowing your assignment / overall confusion / ...?

Regarding the P-Rob discussion, take a look at this write up where he ranked 2nd worst corner in the league according to an article titled "Stats Don't Lie"

Stats Don't Lie: The NFL's 10 Worst Cornerbacks Of 2012

You could say the scheme and some other things weren't the best fit but as the article states, the stats don't lie and his were completely aweful. Most yards, most yards per catch, and most TD's given up by any corner in the NFL. So a scheme change might make him marginal (even that's debatable) instead of worst in the NFL, but is that what we are really after is marginal??????

That article is so sad.. Pat rob and our whole defense was playing zone when nobody knew what to do. He would pass his man off to the safeties that were never there then he gets credited for giving up the touchdown. You can only rack corners if they play man to man with no safties over the top. With zone it's too many things that go into giving up a touchdown.

you know i must say before last year I thought P rob won the starting CB from tracy porter and looked to be improving, but after last year it is a faint memory.

In 06,09, and 11, we had our best seasons under Payton. The defense was ranked around 12th, 15th and 19th in sacks.

For all the years we missed the playoffs or were one and done, we were in the bottom 10.

Teams with leads have more sack opportunities. So is it the chicken or the egg?

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom