Top 5 Safety prospects (1 Viewer)

Reaction score
Top 5 Safetys of the 2013 Draft - YouTube

Hard hitting, ball hawking Defenders honestly our backfield would tremendously be better with any one of these prospects. Not saying we draft a safety in the first round but any
one of these players would be an excellent upgrade at the position

Matt Elam to me is Nfl Ready and definitly a player to watch during combines.

awful video, too many slow motion still shots, its not a modeling calender , it's football.

Cyprien is good too..not as rangy as Elam but he flashes more to the ball...Elam dances round pileups or avoids them all together...

Dont know about that list. I do love how they got Phillip Thomas on there though! I cant believe no ones talking about him, HE'S DOPE!!! I think he has the best ball skills of all the S in this years draft. Cant believe he doesnt have Johnathan Cyprien on there though. I'd go so far as to put him at two, after Vaccaro. Just for fun, here's my top 5.

1. Kenny Vaccaro
2. John Cyprien
3. Phillip Thomas
4. Matt Elam
5. Eric Reid

I haven't watch college football at all so I had to look at the highlights of Every one you had listed and to me the best one on the list is Phillip Thomas he is the ball hawk on the list if he fall to the 3rd round it would be a steal

If we do draft a safety, I hope its later in the draft. We have more pressing problems up front. Not to mention we still haven't addressed Bushrod or DLP (I assume we will).

If we do draft a safety, I hope its later in the draft. We have more pressing problems up front. Not to mention we still haven't addressed Bushrod or DLP (I assume we will).

DLP is a restricted free agent and pretty much a non issue. Bushrod is among the best group of free agent tackles in history and will probably be addressed before the draft.

I'm not sure how much more pressing it gets than having the two worst rated safeties in the entire NFL including a lot of backups. I really like what we have up front and think it is the strength of our defense. Everyone on the board is high on guys like Junior, Martez and Broughton on the outside. Everyone is high on Hicks both at NT and end. Bunkley has performed at a high level at NT and Hicks can also slide inside and both Tom Johnson and Tyrunn Walker are both nice fits at DE in a 34. Yeah, we lack experience and are very young but drafting a rookie doesn't do anything to address inexperience.

In the secondary we have the two safeties that ranked last and second to last in the league. One of our starting corners gave up the most yards in the league and our other starting corner is getting old and is coming off what was by far his worst season as a pro. Plus we lack depth and size at corner.

If Mingo or Jones fall to us then it is a no brainer. If not then we should address the secondary early and often.

I really like Matt Elam but I do have one concern. He has gotten a ball hawk label because of all his interceptions this season but almost all of them were thrown right at him. I love the way he hits, love the intense attitude he brings, love his hussle and aggressive nature but I'm just not real sure how good he is in pass coverage.

I think Eric Reid is a stud. Throughout the season I've been down on him but after going back and watching games and focusing only on Reid, that kid is going to be very special. He is a true SS. He can not match up in man coverage against WRs or fast RBs but his height gives him something we can really use against teams with big TEs. In zone he is very good even though he is overly aggressive at times. In run support he is a mad man and the guy inflicts pain when he tackles.

The more I watch Vaccarro the less I like him. He is amazing when he comes up and plays press coverage which he did a lot of at Texas. Problem is something he'll do very little of in the NFL. When in playing zone in 2 deep or man he has horrible fundamentals, he has terrible instincts, he bites on play action, is constantly taking false steps and doesn't play fast at all. He does take decent angles most of the time in the running game but he is very hesitant to come up, isn't a very aggressive tackler unless he is hitting smaller WRs or QBs. He didn't miss a ton of tackles in college but he doesn't drive through players when tackling and even slows up before hitting players and stands around piles instead of cleaning them up. I don't care if he runs a 4.2 at the combine because he plays very slow and lacks the football speed you would like to see.

I think we need to address the secondary in this draft. This is a very deep safety class, so I will be happy if we walk away with any of the top prospect safeties.

I would be thrilled to add FS Thomas in the 3rd (Wishful thinking hoping he falls this far). He is the perfect safety with range and ballskills.

DLP is a restricted free agent and pretty much a non issue. Bushrod is among the best group of free agent tackles in history and will probably be addressed before the draft.

My point was both either have to be replaced, or their new contracts added to the cap. Both will be cap increases so the pool of money available to address our defensive problems shrinks. I believe its much more important to address our front 7 before we address our back end.

Ed Reed and Troy Polamalu in their prime would get toasted without a pass rush.

Now if we add competent starters at DT, DE, OLB and even CB before the draft then I'm quite OK with drafting a sefety early, maybe even two.

Otherwise, we have much more important areas to address with the conversion to a 3-4.

I know it's extremely unlikely but I hope Chad Jones takes the league by freaking storm.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom