Finebaum doing a poll on top jobs:

Common suggestions;
Bama
Ohio state
Texas
Usc
Georgia
Fl state.

I disagree with georgia, usc fl state and bama.
Georgia is a maybe but not sure of their financial support.
Bama is nothing without saban. Tuscaloosa is horrific. Usc has been in decline but they have to be considered as top program in california rich in talent.
Fl state is just not on the level. Too many schools competing for talent in florida. Small stadium. No legacy.

Ohio state and texas are monster programs and have good financial support.

LSU has several mentions. Main univ in state with Great talent, financial support and big stadium. I agree and I’ll add; great legacy potential (naming options etc). Excellent facility.

Finebaum mentioned LSU too. He knows

Thoughts?

Not sure what the criteria is. Seems to me that a any given point in time some jobs look more attractive than others.
For example - take LSU. Obviously LSU has a lot of great things going for it. But a few years ago (maybe even currently) given theh highly competitive nature of the SEC West I think that lowers the "greatness" of the job. I mean it is still better than, say, Purdue. But at that moment it might not be as attractive as, say, Oklahoma or Michigan, or Clemson - where the competition to get to a conference championship is far less.
And, of course, each potential coach has different measures of what makes a job attractive.

Looking at history, recruiting base, resources and financial support and existing infrastructure:
  1. Alabama
  2. Oklahoma
  3. Ohio State
  4. USC
  5. Texas
In that order. UGA, LSU, TAMU, Penn State, Michigan follow that list. FSU and Miami do not enjoy the same level of support to belong on this list and they share a state with UF which dilutes the talent pool. Notre Dame and Stanford doesn't belong on this list because they do not receive the same support, plus the addition of the higher academic standards that make them a more difficult place for recruiting. Clemson might be on the way, but at this point if Dabo left the program it would probably fall back into mediocrity again.

Yeah...there was no set criteria but the guys that work for Finebaum were pointing out things line Ath directors and coaching hire records. They had some inside info in Athletic Directors and based on what they deemed bad ones, they’d rule out programs. U-fla is one. Consistent bad hires feom Zook to current. Most said though that they’re worth watching because they have potential to get back up to top tier.

They ruled Michigan and Penn State out because they will all be second tier in their conference to Ohio State. Fl state is suffering the same fate with Clemson and they made a bad hire after Jimbo.

LSU was heralded because we generally hire winning coaches. The attempt to get Jimbo Fisher was noted. Didn’t work out but we get credit for making a strong run.
Orgeron is widely believed to be a decent hire with the jury still contemplating. He’s an unusual hire but He is a local guy that fans want to support. I guess there’s an asterik. Bottom line though is that LSU is no wallflower. They don’t shy away from big names or big salaries. Having Saban in our conf hurts but they see that as a coach issue and not a program. Same guys that hired Saban, hired Dennis Franchione, Mike Shula, and Joe Kines. Not much confidence in the Ath Director I guess.

Orgeron is widely believed to be a decent hire with the jury still contemplating. He’s an unusual hire but He is a local guy that fans want to support. I guess there’s an asterisk.
Athletic Director's change too frequently to be used as to judge a school, IMO.

I still look at the parallels between the Orgeron and Dabo hirings. I see two position coaches who excel in recruiting, building a family atmosphere and running a fun-loving organization. Dabo went 9-5, 6-6, 10-3 and 11-2, beating LSU in the 4th season in the Peach Bowl. In those first three years, Dabo had some pretty bad losses and at one point there was grumblings that he was in over his head and on the hot seat. He has stated himself that he felt he was going to be fired before his 3rd season started. He had the advantage of a weak conference that Orgeron doesn't have, too. Clemson improved, but didn't really turn the corner until that win over LSU. After that, Clemson's team became a different animal.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom