Top Gun 2: 2 Top 2 Gun (1 Viewer)

Oustside of taking the kids to see a cartoon or three over the last 15 years I haven't been to the movie theaters once. That streak will end in summer of 2020.

Oustside of taking the kids to see a cartoon or three over the last 15 years I haven't been to the movie theaters once. That streak will end in summer of 2020.
I'm with you BC. I've been twice. In '75 & '83. I don't get all the fuss. :scratch:

I'm with you BC. I've been twice. In '75 & '83. I don't get all the fuss. :scratch:

You’ve only been to see a movie at a theater twice in 45 years?? Wow... I haven’t been much on the last 10 years or so, though i probably saw 2 or 3 movies a month in theaters while growing up.. what were the two movies you’ve seen? I’m guessing, based on those years, probably Jaws and Jedi?

The last time i went to the movies was 4 or 5 years ago, to see a double feature of Argo and Silver Linings Playbook.. but i agree with bclemms, Top Gun Maverick will force me off my *** and into a theater again.

I love Tom Cruise movies and I really love the fact that he tries to make things as realistic as possible by doing the stunts himself and using very little CGI.

I'll be there!

I too love TC movies.. i count Rain Man, A Few Good Men and Jerry Maguire as three of my Top Ten[tm] favorite films of all time.. i even love Top Gun and Cocktail because they are ‘so bad they’re good’ guilty pleasure movies.

But i think the ‘Tom Cruise does his own stunts’ thing is way overblown.. i know for a fact that he uses stunt doubles, and i think his ego at this point is writing checks his body cant cash (see what i did?) when it comes to his claims of doing his own stunt work.. he does some, but not to the level where it’s dangerous or anything- if he did, production companies simply wouldnt be able to insure him for the $50-$100 million films they’re doing, and they would never get green lit in the first place.

You’ve only been to see a movie at a theater twice in 45 years?? Wow... I haven’t been much on the last 10 years or so, though i probably saw 2 or 3 movies a month in theaters while growing up.. what were the two movies you’ve seen? I’m guessing, based on those years, probably Jaws and Jedi?
Ding! Ding! Ding! We have a winner!
I liked Jaws, but was so bored with the Star Wars flick, I fell asleep. Movies just aren't that entertaining.

Ding! Ding! Ding! We have a winner!
I liked Jaws, but was so bored with the Star Wars flick, I fell asleep. Movies just aren't that entertaining.

Really? Cool! I figured it had to be Jaws for ‘75.. and Jedi was a pretty safe bet for ‘83, since I doubt you’d have taken the trouble to see Terms of Endearment or anything...

:hihi:

Really? Cool! I figured Jaws, and Jedi was a pretty safe bet for that year, since I doubt you’d have taken the trouble to see Terms of Endearment or anything...
:hihi:
You would be correct.
As far as the Top Gun remake, I will watch it for all the flying scenes because that is just cool. :9:
But I will wait until it comes on TV, like I did for the original.

You would be correct.
As far as the Top Gun remake, I will watch it for all the flying scenes because that is just cool. :9:
But I will wait until it comes on TV, like I did for the original.

For me, at least for certain films, there’s just an extra something you get from seeing it on a giant screen with tremendous speakers. It also keeps me “on task”, admittedly, so that’s another part of it.

I too love TC movies.. i count Rain Man, A Few Good Men and Jerry Maguire as three of my Top Ten[tm] favorite films of all time.. i even love Top Gun and Cocktail because they are ‘so bad they’re good’ guilty pleasure movies.

But i think the ‘Tom Cruise does his own stunts’ thing is way overblown.. i know for a fact that he uses stunt doubles, and i think his ego at this point is writing checks his body cant cash (see what i did?) when it comes to his claims of doing his own stunt work.. he does some, but not to the level where it’s dangerous or anything- if he did, production companies simply wouldnt be able to insure him for the $50-$100 million films they’re doing, and they would never get green lit in the first place.

I'm not sure why you doubt that Tom Cruise does the majority of his own stunts. This is well documented and certainly not overblown. Just a quick youtube search would give you plenty of video evidence of this.

I don't doubt that he has used stunt doubles in his career and I think most expect that, but there is no denying that he does a lot of his own dangerous stunt work especially with his action movies in the back half of his career.

I mean swinging off the Burj Khalifa would be considered dangerous for most folks ;)

Didn't one of the Iron Eagle movies already do the 'old guys flying fighter planes' thing?
Yes, and then Battleship did the "Old guys firing 16-inchers at aliens" thing :hihi:

I confess, I enjoyed Battleship. It at least had the sense not to take itself seriously.

For me, at least for certain films, there’s just an extra something you get from seeing it on a giant screen with tremendous speakers. It also keeps me “on task”, admittedly, so that’s another part of it.
Dunkirk was one of those movies. it was great on either large or small screen, but large screen simply made it so much more visceral. :)

Not to the level where it's dangerous or anything?? We know that he was strapped to the outside of a flying airplane, he hung off the side of one of the tallest buildings in the world...and he wrecked his ankle jumping from one building to another.

All of that is documented.

In the second Mission Impossible there's a scene where a bad guy is on top of him on the ground and tries to stab his face and he stops the knife blade right at his eyelashes. That was real but they had it set up to where you couldn't push the knife further and yet they still let him do it. If that thing broke or stopped working he could've died. In the latest one he did the Halo jump 3 times because they couldn't film the whole thing in one go so they had to capture a beginning, middle and end.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom