Tort reform in action: Aurora theater shooting plaintiffs found to owe $700K in legal fees to cinema (1 Viewer)

Honestly we get fooled into the wrong sides of these things all the time. It's far better one company with a legal deck stacked their way gets a tough judgment rarely than simple people get justice rarely is your push here, and you may be completely right that that's what most tort reform's bottom line results mean. There certainly are worse things than McDonalds writing down one quarter of profit and one lady getting too much money every few decades.

One where I think that happens is with Veteran and other disability. They sell outrage over goldbricking PSTD faker so well that we wind up denying claims to people with missing limbs that clearly deserve benefits. I'd much rather pay 10,000 fakers for life than risk denying one honestly disabled soldier the benefits earned by volunteering and serving in the ****.

Unfortunately they're really good at drumming up outrage over someone putting one over on the government that they stack the odds in favor of the very government they claim to mistrust in the name of "protecting your tax dollars". Makes me sick thinking of how we edge our servicemen out of benefits this way. It's bad with normal disability too, but it just really gets to me with soldiers.

Sure it does.

Caps also help negligent doctors (or any negligent actors) - right?

And of course it doesn't hurt the lawyers who have 20 such cases at any given time as much as it does the family who lost a breadwinner, or a child, or . . .

I'm actually not really in favor caps. I think it's another example of the insurance industry getting a huge benefit while that industry pretends it actually helps those it insures. Fortunately for the insurance industry, enough bad verdicts occur allowing them to terrify their insured into supporting the caps.

what about a flat atty fee?
say the "shifting pay" party is on the hook $50 an hour for the atty - or even $25/hour for preliminary and $50 for court appearance

it keeps the threat of teams of corporate lawyers at $1000 an hour or whatever you deatheaters are charging these days:ezbill: from driving away legit calims

At least you're consistent.

While I get the motive behind the lawsuit, I don't understand how they expected any favorable outcome. I mean, are there movie theaters somewhere with security that is more than a bored teenager scanning tickets at the door? I don't see how anyone thought that would be a viable or provable supposition.

Mine usually has a police officer out front on weekends, at least.

Well, yeah, but Florida.....:ezbill:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom