Touchback Question (1 Viewer)

Eagle02

SAINTS FOREVER!!!
Reaction score
Have the touch back rules changed?

After the Saints second score, Lutz kicked off and the ball dropped in the end zone. Before it hit the ground the return guy who was standing in the end zone started walking forward towards the field. This is common when the ball is going to land outside of the end zone. The ref started waving his arms and blowing the kickoff dead. My problem is, the ball landed INSIDE the end zone and bounced around in the field of play. It never went out of bounds.

In the past, the ball was a live ball if it didn't go out of bounds and if it wasn't caught it was fair game. Yes, this happened to or Saints years ago. The returner treated it like a punt and the other team picked it up and ran for a touchdown.

If the rule hasn't changed I blame the ref for blowing the play dead before the ball ever hit the ground. Thanks in advance for any help.

Actually. I'm not sure when, but I think the rule was changed. Punts and kickoffs that go into the endzone are considered touchbacks unless the receiving team returns the ball. But, I'm not 100% sure. I know there are slight differences between how kickoffs and punts are handled, but I think the touchback aspect remains intact for both situations.

Well, there ya go! Thanks for the info. *S*

I think it's odd that touch backs for fumbles , interceptions, and punts come back to the 20, KO's to the 25. It should be uniform for INTs, fumbles, and kickoffs.

I think it's odd that touch backs for fumbles , interceptions, and punts come back to the 20, KO's to the 25. It should be uniform for INTs, fumbles, and kickoffs.

They only moved the KO's to the 25 to discourage actually returning kicks. They even mentioned doing away with KO's completely. All in the name of safety.

After the Saints second score, Lutz kicked off and the ball dropped in the end zone. Before it hit the ground the return guy who was standing in the end zone started walking forward towards the field. This is common when the ball is going to land outside of the end zone. The ref started waving his arms and blowing the kickoff dead. My problem is, the ball landed INSIDE the end zone and bounced around in the field of play. It never went out of bounds.

In the past, the ball was a live ball if it didn't go out of bounds and if it wasn't caught it was fair game. Yes, this happened to or Saints years ago. The returner treated it like a punt and the other team picked it up and ran for a touchdown.

If the rule hasn't changed I blame the ref for blowing the play dead before the ball ever hit the ground. Thanks in advance for any help.

The changes have been pointed out in previous responses. Indeed a change since 1994, which is what you're remembering. And that was on punt, not a kickoff. Against the Rams, in the same game Tyrone Hughes returned two kickoffs himself for touchdowns.

Due to the rule change if a kickoff ball touches the endzone it's a deadball and touchback.

When Ted Ginn muffed the kickoff at the 2 yard line rather than letting it go in that caused Payton to scream at both Ginn and Westhoff for a stupid play.

Due to the rule change if a kickoff ball touches the endzone it's a deadball and touchback.

When Ted Ginn muffed the kickoff at the 2 yard line rather than letting it go in that caused Payton to scream at both Ginn and Westhoff for a stupid play.
That is helpful. Like everyone else, I thought Ginn should have not have fielded it. But then I thought he should have because it's a live ball, just like an onside kick. That would also mean that even if a returner touches the ball in the endzone after it bounces, it's dead.

I remember when this happened, I was yelling at the wife it was a live ball and we should cover it to get a TD. She asked me why the ref blew it dead and I told her he was an idiot and blew it dead assuming it would go out of the end zone. I am going to hold my tongue and not let her know I was wrong and they changed the rule.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom