Tough Day For Both Of Us (video inside) (1 Viewer)

I noticed that in college they don't waste any time at all to review a play if it is even remotely close. Why don't they do that in the NFL? It only takes a few seconds, especially when the call can change the outcome of a game. I thought that's why they put it in. Maybe they need to tweak the replay rules and let a coach challenge a call even if its inside 2 minutes that way you don't have to rely on the refs stopping play to review it.

I agree. Like I said, I like replay. But they need to use it when there is something even questionable. Something just wasn't right there. Mangini pleaded with the officials..then called a timeout...pleaded some more, the ref circles his arm around as to say start the play clock..and that was it. Game over. I am still sick over it. The Jets played awful today, but they didn't need to be buried by the refs with a chance to make something happen.

Is that reviewable?

That's the only thing I can think, because it definitely didn't look like a good call at all...

Even if it isn't..the comitte needs to look at something like that to make sure that it is reviewable. To make matters worse, in Jerricho Cothery's news conference (#89, the WR by the catch and someone that has been huge for us this year with quite possibly the catch of the year) he said one referee said it was a force out..then the other ref overturned him.:cussing: :cussing:

Not even that..the refs wouldn't review it!! We took a timeout to give them time to review it and they still didn't. I am FUMING. Now I have 2 weeks to have this on my head with the bye week coming. Good luck with TB this week..not like you guys will need it:9:

That stinks...there is no way that I can see that he wouldn't have come down in bounds. And if the game is on the line with that play he has to be reviewed. Thats like what happened to us I believe last year. We had used our challenges and ran a play with just over two mins left in the game. When the play ended there was less then two minutes but they wouldn't review it because the challenge had to come from us because the play started with more then 2 mins remaining.

I noticed that in college they don't waste any time at all to review a play if it is even remotely close. Why don't they do that in the NFL? It only takes a few seconds, especially when the call can change the outcome of a game. I thought that's why they put it in. Maybe they need to tweak the replay rules and let a coach challenge a call even if its inside 2 minutes that way you don't have to rely on the refs stopping play to review it.

College probably doesn't have as many rules about replay as the NFL and not as much money on the line.

NFL has too many restrictions because they want to "shorten" the game. Sorry, to hell with shortening the game so I can get home to watch another one of their games. I would rather them spend ten minutes reviewing a call, get it right then don't spend any time for the sake of time and the call that is wrong stand. It just doesn't make sense. The rules for replay have to be changed. Personally I think they should give coaches 3 challenges., after all you have 3 time outs per half. Also they should allow a coach to challenge a play under two minutes. That would take it out of the replay booths hands as far as determining if they should review or not.

Are even if they keep it in their hands then there should be rules in place like if the play envolves a first down or touchdown then it should automatically be reviewed, no questions asked. In the case of the jets, especially if there isn't a clear determination on the field.

As hinted at by others in this thread, it's not a reviewable play.
It's a "judgement call" that's to be made by judging the players impetus, which is a physics 101 event and observable.
I can't say don't feel bad, but there's more plays where a reciever had a foot out of bounds while being lightly touched by a defender, and the ruling is a push out.
Nothing excuses a call that horrid.
We know Mike Carey well here: He's the referee that ruled no intentional grounding when Jake Delhomme, facing his own goalpost in the endzone, threw the ball behind him over his shoulder to avoid the safety. The line judge flagged it, but Carey overturned it.
No worries! I'm sure that, just in that game a while back, the NFL will issue a formal apology that fix..., no- that will help..., well it won't actually do any thing.
Where's the accountability of the ref?

As hinted at by others in this thread, it's not a reviewable play.
It's a "judgement call" that's to be made by judging the players impetus, which is a physics 101 event and observable.
I can't say don't feel bad, but there's more plays where a reciever had a foot out of bounds while being lightly touched by a defender, and the ruling is a push out.
Nothing excuses a call that horrid.
We know Mike Carey well here: He's the referee that ruled no intentional grounding when Jake Delhomme, facing his own goalpost in the endzone, threw the ball behind him over his shoulder to avoid the safety. The line judge flagged it, but Carey overturned it.
No worries! I'm sure that, just in that game a while back, the NFL will issue a formal apology that fix..., no- that will help..., well it won't actually do any thing.
Where's the accountability of the ref?
Yes, you are correct about the judgement call. But why not change the rule in the off-season for instances like this?

Yes, you are correct about the judgement call. But why not change the rule in the off-season for instances like this?
I've been begging for it, but it's the owners that have the clout in that regard.
I don't even think the NFLPA would be effective.
As far as the NFL, and much of the media is concerned, Mike Carey is a goodie two shoes.
Google Mike Carey
Judging by some of those links, he's just as hated elsewhere. :D

It's weird. The Saints seem to be getting our regular share of Zebra-screwing, but the rest of the league is also suffering from egregiously bad calls like that one.

That dude's momentum was mostly forward until the Browns DB hit him from the side. He'd have landed with both feet in bounds easily.

I've been begging for it, but it's the owners that have the clout in that regard.
I don't even think the NFLPA would be effective.
As far as the NFL, and much of the media is concerned, Mike Carey is a goodie two shoes.
Google Mike Carey
Judging by some of those links, he's just as hated elsewhere. :D

Ha. What is up with "judgement calls" any way? What's to say this guy's "judgement" doesn't have anything to do with some $ he may have on some games? I'm not accusing anybody..but you just never know. That's why these types of plays need to be reviewed...

It's weird. The Saints seem to be getting our regular share of Zebra-screwing, but the rest of the league is also suffering from egregiously bad calls like that one.

That dude's momentum was mostly forward until the Browns DB hit him from the side. He'd have landed with both feet in bounds easily.

It happens to everyone. Goodell needs to start canning some of these people.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom