Tough Newsweek Cover Story on McCain (1 Viewer)

Well it's not like Dems can use this against him. They are criticized for "not supporting the troops" way too much and don't have the good will of the American people in regards to military service to get away with attacking McCain on this like the Republicans went after Kerry. For a variety of reasons Americans give Republicans a pass on attacking someones service but not Democrats.

This will be a non issue in the general election. Democrats can't afford to make it one though I suspect if Hillary is the nominee she'll make the fatal mistake of making it one. The Clintons have never seen a potential political attack they don't like regardless of the chances it will backfire (see injecting race into the primaries).

I don't care who was President in the 70s, you would disdain them and blame them for everything up to and including the the price of tea in China because the 70s were the worst time economically since the depression and most of it was beyond the control of the White House.

Paul Volcker, appointed by Carter, rescued the economy with an interest rate induced recession that squeezed inflation out of the system...

Yes, a more even disposition and some basic respect for peers would be good instead of petulance.

To read the USA Today cover story where 65% of Democrats rate this economy "poor", perhaps revisiting the 70s is in order. The business cycle runs nearly independently of the WH occupant, and oil prices were uncontrollable, but its incontrovertible that Nixon's policies and the feckless Ford and early Carter decisions contributed to the climate. Conservatives threatening to sit out Nov 4 risk a repeat of Carter's experience when he beat back a Kennedy challenge and watched a Reagan landslide.

When questioned on economics, McCain, a naval aviator by training and an insolent "Top Gun" image to project, falls back on the Jack Kemp and Phil Gramm endorsements. To read of McCain, they must be the last officials McCain hasn't assaulted physically or verbally. McCain can rescue his base in part through a VP choice, but that might get him 2% at most. Any attempt at reconcilation this afternoon at the CPAC convention will earn him disdain from all sides. Obama has already hurled the flipflop charge at him. He should stick to his guns, metaphorically speaking.

When questioned on economics, McCain, a naval aviator by training and an insolent "Top Gun" image to project, falls back on the Jack Kemp and Phil Gramm endorsements. To read of McCain, they must be the last officials McCain hasn't assaulted physically or verbally.

It's also important to note McCain is notoriously bad at being taught what to say. It always comes off contrived and uncomfortable. So you can't expect he'll surround himself with economic experts that will be able to feed him the right talking points on the economy in the general election.

The economy will absolutely be a weak spot for him in the general election debate. It could border on a humiliating subject for him. If McCain tries to hard to answer detailed economic questions it could turn in to his Dukakis moment.

Last time the Democrats were idiots by putting Kerry on the ballot. It's now the Republicans turn. What goes around comes around I guess. :jpshakehead:

If it's between Hillary and McCain I will be so depressed.

:sad816:

Who's better on the Republican ticket? The guy who believes evolution is a myth? Or the guy who believes that God handed golden plates to a kid in the mountains?

Examples:

--Former senator Bob Smith of New Hampshire: "You can disagree without being disagreeable. And I don't think John is able to do that."

Hahaha. I guess it certainly takes one to know one. This is the Bob Smith who left the Republican party after they wouldn't nominate him for President. lol Ran as a 3rd Party candidate, lost. He then re-joined the Republican party. Lost his Senate re-election bid in the primary and then endorsed John Kerry for President. lol.

It's also important to note McCain is notoriously bad at being taught what to say. It always comes off contrived and uncomfortable. So you can't expect he'll surround himself with economic experts that will be able to feed him the right talking points on the economy in the general election.

The economy will absolutely be a weak spot for him in the general election debate. It could border on a humiliating subject for him. If McCain tries to hard to answer detailed economic questions it could turn in to his Dukakis moment.

That's absolutely correct, but all candidates are not Renaissance people who have a grasp of every issue. Is the electorate ready for wonkery? That's a Democratic specialty. If Hillary/Obama can put McCain into a beffuddled Bush 41 box in debate, they will have a winner. McCain can always fall back on his biography and proven bipartisan record. Praying for a Hillary nomination can hurt, either.

I generally lean right (though that stance took a major hit in Repulicans' reaction to Katrina recovery). But even I'm not sure I can bring myself to vote McCain. I don't want someone with McCain's legendary temper having their finger on the "football's" trigger........

So I've pretty much prepared myself for the massive tax increases (yeah those are going to help a struggling economy) and more government meddling in my private life that a Billary or Obama presidency will bring.........

So I've pretty much prepared myself for more government meddling in my private life that a Billary or Obama presidency will bring.........

Just wondering - what specifically are you preparing for? With the traditional rightist, conservative views on telling people who they can marry, the stance on abortion and what a woman ought to be able to do to her body, the losses of private freedoms via the likes of the Patriot Act, etc...

What do you anticipate as increased meddling over and above what the rightist rhetoric and policy has been?

edit: not trying to bait or anything - genuinely curious because I've always felt that in recent years the party with the perception of meddling in private affairs has been just as, if not more, the conservative...

Dems meddle more in your money Republicans meddle more in your liberties.

That's the way the game is played.

So I've pretty much prepared myself for the massive tax increases (yeah those are going to help a struggling economy) and more government meddling in my private life that a Billary or Obama presidency will bring.........

Don't worry..... either one of them will save you some money when they bring the troops home from this bloated war. Or does it only count as tax-and-spending when it's done on social programs? I forget.....

I will read the article this evening. The bottom of the Naval Academy trumps a Bible degree from Ouchita College, FWIW. And if it's an even disposition you want for the Oval Office, I give you Presidents Ford and Carter.

OK, I've exhausted my McCain defense. Have at him, boys!

:lol:

this is all nonsense

the guy has decades of experience... over the course of several decades, everyone alive on this earth will lose their temper and make poor judgements from time to time.

so what if he's a little hot-headed sometimes? he couldn't hold a candle in that department to dozens of our most respected and productive presidents over the course of our nation's history.

and as far as the veterans group opposing him... you'd think the fact that the vast majority of veterans around the country DO support him would mean more than a small, fringe, band of contrarians. for every soldier who runs for office, you will ALWAYS have a group of veterans opposing him for whatever reason.

I like the way he smiles at the camera when he finishes up in the debates.

My wife always votes Republican and I usually vote Libertarian but have voted Republican at times.

Our primary isn't until May so it will probably be over by the time that we get to vote. The Republican party isn't giving us anything to vote for this time. I like Paul (He'll be out by May) and the Wife doesn't really care about any of them. We may vote in the Democratic primary because it may make a difference and because those two are better than anything that the GOP has to offer.

We've been waiting for McCain to blow up like Howard Dean.

It's coming.

Unfortunately it will happen after the primaries and there won't even be a race. The Dems will walk in virtually unopposed and declare a mandate to do what they will.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom