Tough Newsweek Cover Story on McCain (1 Viewer)

RJ in Lafayette

Super Forum Fanatic
Gold VIP Contributor
Reaction score
This week's Newsweek has as its cover story John McCain. The article is not entirely flattering.

Part of the story I knew--and has little bearing on whether McCain would make a good president. He was a rebel at Annapolis and finished at the bottom of his class. And before he was shot down, he was not a particularly good Naval officer or aviator, brave but to the point of being foolhardy.

The other part of the story I knew, but to a lesser extent. McCain has long been known to be prickly and have problems with his temper. But the article depicts McCain as vindictive, and I had no idea as to the number of Republican senators McCain had cursed or even had physical contact with.

Examples:

--Former senator Bob Smith of New Hampshire: "You can disagree without being disagreeable. And I don't think John is able to do that."

--Shoved Strom Thurmond

--Cursed Chuck Grassley of Iowa to his face, and McCain and Grassley did not talk for a year.

--In front of large group, told John Cornyn to __- you in immigration bill negotiations.

--Thad Cochran of Mississippi: "He gets very volatile. He gets red in the face. He talks loud. I was surprised to find so many senators who had had a personal experience when John had lost his temper. I certainly don't know no other president since I have been here who's had a temperament like that."

--After the Boeing scandal, McCain's adies passed the word that any company that hired certain former Air Force offficials would risk McCain's displeasure.

Does it dive into McCain blocking his records as a POW? Does it discuss him blocking all POW records from becoming public so his record couldn't be looked at? Does it discuss him blocking funding to go back and look for missing soldiers and POW's that never came home?

http://www.vietnamveteransagainstjohnmccain.com/

I read that the other day. Just him believing in a draft and 100 years in Iraq is enough for me to call him a kook, but leaving POW/MIA'S behind means he should be sent to Iraq armed with only a water pistol. He won't have a chance if he runs against Hitlery though.

This guy does not have the qualities or the brain to run this country.

He does not.

We have enough of these idiots in Washington. They are there for the power trip, to feed their outsized egos and to collect some cash along the way...

This is McCain, more of the same.

Bill Clinton also had a volatile temper though short of being physical and Hilllary is also fairly ruthless and vindictive. Power does not attract enough resonable individuals.

I've heard the only reason McCain even got his wings was because his father was CINCPAC and that his fathers influence gave him a lot of rope and allowed him to skirt a lot of rules. He actually crashed 3 planes before he was captured from what I've heard.

They left out the part where his wife stole drugs from the Children's Relief Mission she was involved with? Anybody else would have gotten jail time.

I will read the article this evening. The bottom of the Naval Academy trumps a Bible degree from Ouchita College, FWIW. And if it's an even disposition you want for the Oval Office, I give you Presidents Ford and Carter.

OK, I've exhausted my McCain defense. Have at him, boys!

--Thad Cochran of Mississippi: "He gets very volatile. He gets red in the face. He talks loud. I was surprised to find so many senators who had had a personal experience when John had lost his temper. I certainly don't know no other president since I have been here who's had a temperament like that."

wow, even the Senators from Mi'ssippi are poorly educated.

I like McCain because of his prickly combative demeanor. I sympathize :)

I will read the article this evening. The bottom of the Naval Academy trumps a Bible degree from Ouchita College, FWIW. And if it's an even disposition you want for the Oval Office, I give you Presidents Ford and Carter.

OK, I've exhausted my McCain defense. Have at him, boys!

I don't care who was President in the 70s, you would disdain them and blame them for everything up to and including the the price of tea in China because the 70s were the worst time economically since the depression and most of it was beyond the control of the White House.

Paul Volcker, appointed by Carter, rescued the economy with an interest rate induced recession that squeezed inflation out of the system...

Yes, a more even disposition and some basic respect for peers would be good instead of petulance.

Last time the Democrats were idiots by putting Kerry on the ballot. It's now the Republicans turn. What goes around comes around I guess. :jpshakehead:

If it's between Hillary and McCain I will be so depressed.

:sad816:

Last edited:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom