Toys R Us Closing? (1 Viewer)

Optimus Prime

Subscribing Member
VIP Subscribing Member
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
End of an Era

Growing up we had our local Woolworth's that had a toy section

So did our grocery store (which is where my mom would park me while she went shopping)

A lot of the toys on my Christmas lists would come from looking at the toy section in the Sears catalog

Our malls had stores like KB Toys and Lionel Kiddie City

But Toys R Us was ......different

A supermarket/department store sized building with Aisle after Aisle, floor to ceiling stuffed with toys

Grade School heaven

And of all the parental bribes, ice cream, McDonald's, video store....... be good and we'll go to Toys R Us was guaranteed best behavior (even if we didn't buy anything - just going was adventure enough)

Even though I haven't set foot in one in ages - I'm sad that they're going away

Toys “R” Us Inc. is making preparations for a liquidation of its bankrupt U.S. operations after so far failing to find a buyer or reach a debt restructuring deal with lenders, according to people familiar with the matter.

While the situation is still fluid, a shutdown of the U.S. division has become increasingly likely in recent days, said the people, who asked not to be identified because the information is private. Hopes are fading that a buyer will emerge to keep some of the business operating, or that lenders will agree on terms of a debt restructuring, the people said.............

http://fortune.com/2018/03/09/toys-r-us-closing-us-stores-bankruptcy/

Last edited:
i rarely ever got to go there as a kid, so when i did it as something REAL special.

but this was a long time coming. i used to collect up until a few years ago, and with places like target and walmart, along with being able to buy online, there was just never any real reason to go to toys'r'us. they almost always charged more than their competitors and the stores usually weren't anything nice either.

Wow talk about nostalgia. I think there was one in the East IIRC? I remember my dad taking me there when I was really young.

I think so. There was also a Children's Palace on Vets near David in Metairie. What was the mascot's name? Pete the Panda?

yep, there was one right off of the interstate in new orleans east. I remember going there and getting a remote control car track that went up the wall and had the loop and all.

eric

It’s official - Toys R Us closing all stores.

its cool brah. i’ll find the source for you.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...toys-r-us-to-close-all-800-of-its-u-s-stores/

Toy store chain Toys R Us is planning to sell or close all 800 of its U.S. stores, affecting as many as 33,000 jobs as the company winds down its operations after six decades, according to a source familiar with the matter.

The news comes six months after the retailer filed for bankruptcy. The company has struggled to pay down nearly $8 billion in debt — much of it dating back to a 2005 leveraged buyout — and has had trouble finding a buyer. There were reports earlier this week that Toys R Us had stopped paying its suppliers, which include the country’s largest toy makers. On Wednesday, the company announced it would close all 100 of its U.K. stores. In the United States, the company told employees closures would occur over time, and not all at once, according to the source, who spoke on the condition of anonymity because they were not authorized to discuss internal deliberations.

Growing up on the WB, we really only had Lionel Playworld and Children's Palace. Eventually, a Toys R Us opened next to Belle Promenade. At the time, it was glorious.

Are they planning to clearance everything? I have my son's birthday coming up. I'd love to get some great deals.

Are they planning to clearance everything? I have my son's birthday coming up. I'd love to get some great deals.

define "clearance" lol

i doubt you find somehting 60-80% off that you REALLY want.

im sure now they are doing 10-30%

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom