TP Saints First and 10: weekly breakdown (1 Viewer)

kfran

TwoDat! Let's Do It Again
VIP Subscribing Member
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Time Pic's Jeff Duncan got it right - good read (IMHO)

"...National pundits superficially looked the box score and have been to quick to write off the Saints' new-look defense because of the number of points they allowed.

...Fact is, the Saints offense and special teams gift-wrapped 17 of those points..."
Loved this one too:
5. Fact of the week: Wondering who the Saints' best run blocker is on the offensive line? Well, it's clear the Saints believe it is Jahri Evans. They ran 15 times behind the powerful right guard against the Lions last week, averaging 4.2 yards a carry. Twenty-one of their 35 runs were off guard or up the middle, showcasing Mike Bell's slashing running style. The Saints ran wide around left or right end only five times.
More...
http://www.nola.com/saints/index.ssf/2009/09/new_orleans_saints_first_and_1.html

Last edited:
Thanks KFran :9:

I was talking to my brother about the Saints blitzing, and he felt that GW used ALOT of blitzes, and I didn't see it that way. I thought GW held back, and my notion was confirmed by this:

Williams did not blitz as much as expected. He sent more than four rushers at the quarterback only six of the Lions' 31 plays in the first half. He was even more conservative in the second half.

Some may think that GW blitzed alot during that game but I just didn't see it... maybe NOLA is wrong... I don't know. :shrug:

But a helluva game by the defense nonetheless.

Why blitz and sell out your defensive backfield against a rookie QB who can barely throw the ball straight?

It made all the sense in the world to play more zone based coverage like we did. Williams does what works. He isn't married to a scheme or philosophy. This is what I was talking about in the offseason when I insisted that Williams will not strictly run a Cover 1 with Harper at the line.

We ran plenty of Cover 2 this past week because the situation warranted it. That's why I love our new DC.

I was talking to my brother about the Saints blitzing, and he felt that GW used ALOT of blitzes, and I didn't see it that way. I thought GW held back, and my notion was confirmed by this:

Some may think that GW blitzed alot during that game but I just didn't see it... maybe NOLA is wrong... I don't know. :shrug:

I thought the same thing. Looking back on it I just think GW wanted to same some stuff for later since it wasn't really needed against Stafford. Speaking of Stafford.............thought he started out good but man did he stink it up in the second half.

Good read!

I really could care less what the so called "expert analyst" say about us but it is very annoying for them to make excuses for other teams week 1 performance and totally dismiss/dis ours.

Some go as far to say that we are the same old defense, they obviously did not watch tape before coming on set. We only gave up 231 yards and forced 3 turnovers (7th ranked defense after week 1). Not to mention, SHUT DOWN Calvin Johnson (who they all picked as a fantasy MUST start last week). They always say oh it's the lions and they did give up 27!

However, when Tom "terrific" Brady struggles badly for 3 quarters, it's well he has been out for a year. Not it's the Bills. Or when Baltimore 's dominate defense gives up 24 to the Chiefs, it's well it's a new DC and only it week 1. Not it's the Chiefs.

I wish I could go in to my next business review totally miss-analyze the business case and still get paid 6 figures. Oh, the benefits of knowing the right people.

Jeff Duncan did a great job of answering a lot of questions about the game... As you said, confirmed what we saw, or "what we thought we saw."

I love these articles from JD each week. An actual BREAKDOWN of our game, not just a recap.

Duncan's articles and vlogs these days have been $$$$

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom