Tracey Porter? (1 Viewer)

Tracy Porter was a pretty damn good cornerback for us, he had one bad year and he was playing in the nickel spot. Bearze34, I don't want him back because of one play he made in the Superbowl, but I have a feeling people want Nnamdi because he was an awesome player a few years ago. What has he done lately?

Nothing ... get abused by the likes of Antonio Brown, Jacoby Jones, and Julio Jones. O wait ... I forgot, it's his DC's fault.

If we get him for a vet minimum what does it hurt? If he sucks in camp cut him and move on. Its not like we would sign him to a 5 year 40 million dollar contract.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p><a href="https://twitter.com/search/%23Raiders">#Raiders</a> CB Tracy Porter will visit Oakland Wednesday. He was in New Orleans on Monday. Both teams want him. Decision should be soon.</p>&mdash; Bill Williamson (@espn_afcwest) <a href="https://twitter.com/espn_afcwest/status/316665686397161472">March 26, 2013</a></blockquote>
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Sign him for cheap backup. If he's healthy and productive in camp keep him. If he wants a starters job and money, let the raiders have him.

I think it's encouraging his two suitors are his former team and former position coach. Obviously feel good with his abilities.

If by chance he stays healthy, he's a steal

It is amazing how so many people think that once you have donned the B&G you are a great player and stay so forever. Porter is an injured, slower cb that can't tackle and can't cover. We really want him for, basically, one play in the SB 3 years ago? He is a training camp body that may or may not make the team.

how is porter a "slower" cb?
i'm sure has faults, but slow isnt one

I'm curious about this.

I get the distinct impression its possible that this is a move to put pressure on Nnamdi to make a decision.

Its either that, or we want him as a nickel CB, which happens to be where he played at his worse.

He doesn't fit the profile of a press coverage cornerback. He's to small. He'll get man handled by bigger receivers at the LOS which will cause him to get burned.

Perhaps Ryan figures Porter would make a decent stop gap player for a year playing RCB in case we don't get Nnamdi and aren't targeting Rhodes at all in the draft.

But then the question comes, why? Greer is surely better and Prob can challenge Porter for a roster spot. So with how cash strapped we are, why would we sign him? Thats why perhaps it could be a pressure visit. Its not uncommon during FA period but it seems like a gamble that could push Nnamdi to the niners.

I see alot of guys in here down on Porter. You guys must forget the state of our current DBs. Some of the same things you say about Porter are true about Robinson, Greer and Nnamdi(besides injuries). Porter will bring competition to a position where its needed. He competes and brings some swagger and is still very young. I was hoping him returning was a possibility, he'll be much cheaper than Nnamdi who isnt much of a sure thing anyway. If added he is probably the only corner besides White that can play inside in the Nickel, Nnamdi, Greer, Robinson and Lewis all play primarily outside.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom