Tracker: Democratic 2020 presidential candidates (1 Viewer)

MLU

Tigers vs All Y'all
Reaction score
Cory Booker is officially in.

A few years ago I might have felt differently but in today's climate with Wall Street, Booker is a terrible choice for President. Kamala Harrisis going to have every case she prosecuted scrutinized over the next two years. Elizabeth Warren is out fundraising everyone not named Bernie Sanders. Bernie Sanders is raising two to three times as much as Elizabeth Warren. everything that he is raising comes from a grassroots level. No lobbyist. No PACs. This is probably Bernie's race to lose. Outside of those two, everyone else is just Hillary-lite.

Grandadmiral

Infinite Power is da ****
Reaction score
A few years ago I might have felt differently but in today's climate with Wall Street, Booker is a terrible choice for President. Kamala Harrisis going to have every case she prosecuted scrutinized over the next two years. Elizabeth Warren is out fundraising everyone not named Bernie Sanders. Bernie Sanders is raising two to three times as much as Elizabeth Warren. everything that he is raising comes from a grassroots level. No lobbyist. No PACs. This is probably Bernie's race to lose. Outside of those two, everyone else is just Hillary-lite.
Do you think this changes if Biden jumps in?

insidejob

Respect existence or expect resistance.
Approved Blogger
Reaction score
Well, it's two years from now, but I really don't see Biden as a player. What does he bring to the table?
Other than possibly walking across a debate stage and just cold cocking Trump? A nearly 40 year legislative record in the Senate and then 8 years as VP. He's definitely got as much, if not more, experience as everyone throwing their hat into the race.

MLU

Tigers vs All Y'all
Reaction score
Other than possibly walking across a debate stage and just cold cocking Trump? A nearly 40 year legislative record in the Senate and then 8 years as VP. He's definitely got as much, if not more, experience as everyone throwing their hat into the race.
No one cares about experience, especially when it leaves behind a track record that doesn't exactly jive with where the Democrat Party is headed. It's more of a liability now. He will attract people who would vote for Hillary, but the 1994 Crime Bill, the 2005 Bankruptcy Bill and his coziness with Banks are going to give him problems with everyone else.

Booker

All-Pro
Reaction score
Well, it's two years from now, but I really don't see Biden as a player. What does he bring to the table?
He brings electability in a national election, something I personally really don't see in either Bernie Sanders or Elizabeth Warren.

Heathen Saint

#Sanders2020
VIP Subscribing Member
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
I think all of them bring electability. Sanders proved that he had the ability to win last election. He had little name recognition then, unlike now. He far, far outweighs all democratic candidates with individual contributions. Warren is no slouch either.

I think the electability argument doesn’t make sense when you consider that Sanders/AOC platform has already in many areas taken over the party. It quite literally will likely be an element of someone from the party that is elected. Look at all of the front runners with platforms now that were unthinkable even 3 years ago. This is because it’s what the constituents increasingly want.

Heathen Saint

#Sanders2020
VIP Subscribing Member
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
I mean, I agree. But the same was said of Hillary and unless one subscribed to “inner party turmoil was THE causative factor in losing to Trump”, then you have to wonder if the experience element matters as much as policy.

insidejob

Respect existence or expect resistance.
Approved Blogger
Reaction score
I mean, I agree. But the same was said of Hillary and unless one subscribed to “inner party turmoil was THE causative factor in losing to Trump”, then you have to wonder if the experience element matters as much as policy.
Hillary didn't have to win in a primary though. There was a coronation for her. Biden would actually have to duke it out with the other 20 people shooting for the nomination. And Clinton had the baggage of her husband and how she acted then on her record too. Then the foundation with hundreds of millions made speaking overseas? I don't think Biden has any red meat issues like this for the Republicans to pounce on.

Brandon13

Hall-of-Famer
Reaction score
Biden has the most name recognition, most experience, he's tied in with (a still very popular with Democrats) Obama, and he's the most likeable/best at connecting with people that I've seen.

I think it would be his nomination to lose.

Heathen Saint

#Sanders2020
VIP Subscribing Member
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Hillary didn't have to win in a primary though. There was a coronation for her. Biden would actually have to duke it out with the other 20 people shooting for the nomination. And Clinton had the baggage of her husband and how she acted then on her record too. Then the foundation with hundreds of millions made speaking overseas? I don't think Biden has any red meat issues like this for the Republicans to pounce on.
Agree here too. Biden doesn't have half the baggage of Hillary. I like Biden and would vote for him were he the nominee, no question. I just think his stances will probably "miss the mark" from the surge of others (Harris, Sanders, Warren, O'Rourke, Gillibrand, Booker, etc) that support one or many of the following: Medicare for All, Green New Deal, Tuition free or serious student loan debt addressing, Marijuana Legalization, Criminal Justice, Wealth tax, etc. This isn't me talking to try to push a sentiment--I just see one or more of these major issues being a factor with all of the candidates and I see Biden as a terrific guy but one who is steadfastly moderate and unlikely to adapt these "new" ideals.

Of course two scenarios could play out: Either the American public isn't as well versed in these new ideals and will "go with what they know" and choose a moderate/safe choice like Biden, or they'll roll with someone pushing for them because they are objectively extremely popular. Who knows at this point.

Madmarsha

Love this team!
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Got a campaign song for Amy: Don't turn around, oh, oh, oh, Der Klobuchar's in town, whoa, oh, oh.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Saints Super Forum (Main Board) 3
Assemble Saints Super Forum (Main Board) 10