Tracker: Democratic 2020 presidential candidates (1 Viewer)

DavidM

Admin Emeritus
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Sticky Post
Time to start tracking who is running:

Elizabeth Warren
Tulsi Gabbard
Julian Castro
Kirsten Gillibrand
Kamala Harris
Pete Buttigieg
John Delaney
Richard Ojeda
Andrew Yang
Amy Klobuchar
Cory Booker
Bernie Sanders
Beto O'Rourke
John Hickenlooper
Jay Inslee
John Delaney
Wayne Messam
Marianne Williamson
Tim Ryan
Eric Swalwell
Joe Biden
Seth Moulton
Michael Bennett
Steve Bullock
Bill de Blasio
Tom Steyer

List updated July 9

Bios at The Chicago Tribune

Heathen Saint

#Sanders2020
VIP Subscribing Member
Reaction score
Looks like Bernie is about to announce...

I wish he wouldn’t.

Do not agree. I think his authenticity and commitment is refreshing and is what we sorely need. He's the anti-politician that is also the anti-Trump candidate.

For one, his policies -- well, progressive policies in general that he helped move into the forefront (medicare for all, money out of politics, clean energy, criminal justice reform) are wildly popular. Look for example at the wealth tax Warren is proposing that is starting to gain traction even amongst Fox News Republicans

If nothing else, the facts are that he remains one of the most popular politicians in America, has a huge donation base, and what separates him from 2016 is that he now is widely known. Will he prevail? Who knows. It's gonna be a crowded field.

We will see, but I think he'll be a top 3 candidate.

Last edited:

WhoDatPhan78

Definitely not part of the deep state.
Reaction score
Do not agree. I think his authenticity and commitment is refreshing and is what we sorely need. He's the anti-politician that is also the anti-Trump candidate.

For one, his policies -- well, progressive policies in general that he helped move into the forefront (medicare for all, money out of politics, clean energy, criminal justice reform) are wildly popular. Look for example at the wealth tax Warren is proposing that is starting to gain traction even amongst Fox News Republicans

If nothing else, the facts are that he remains one of the most popular politicians in America, has a huge donation base, and what separates him from 2016 is that he now is widely known. Will he prevail? Who knows. It's gonna be a crowded field.

Last time he was the only one running pushing that agenda. He’s not anymore, and he’s never really been the best messenger. The cause is better off with him in a supporting role.

Heathen Saint

#Sanders2020
VIP Subscribing Member
Reaction score
Look, Sanders is going to be darn near 80 if he wins the election and assumes office. Can’t we find someone who isn’t older than dirt?
I get it---just don't see it the same way. IMO, I just want the person best-suited policy wise in that position. If a person is cleared by medical staff to be able to do his/her job, what does it matter how old someone is? I'm not oblivious to reality--there is of course that risk of health issues when you are that old. But I think that is why you bring along someone who is ready to assume the presidency as VP.

Under those conditions, which I think are a given, age for the most part won't matter.

Sure, if he were to get the nomination, there's a good chance he'd be a one term President. However, I've spoken to many, many people who are as sharp as a tack well into their 80's.

Last edited:

Heathen Saint

#Sanders2020
VIP Subscribing Member
Reaction score
Last time he was the only one running pushing that agenda. He’s not anymore, and he’s never really been the best messenger.
Never been the best messenger? Quite the contrary, and there is an abundance of evidence for it. His message galvanized the support of millions of Americans in a progressive push against the establishment base not seen in a very long time. That would never have happened had he not been an effective messenger.

The cause is better off with him in a supporting role.
Again, this can be argued but many Americans think differently.

I'm not on the "Bernie or Bust" train, because I think a few other candidates are ideal (Warren and to a lesser extent Gabbard). If Sanders runs, I do think he is the best leader for so many of the ideas he's helped spearhead into the mainstream. Polling wise, he still ranks very high, and I think that is telling for someone who some view as "too old". Is there still an air of distaste directed at Sanders for what many (wrongly, IMO) view as the reason Trump won the election? Of course. I wonder if that is at play with the Sanders push back in the media both left and right at large that we are seeing now.

I don't mean to turn this thread into a progressive scuffle, just realize that many haven't given up on the idea that Sanders is the best candidate to defeat Trump. After all is said and done, if he doesn't garner enough support to make it to the primaries, i'll gladly eat a big helping of crow pie ;)

Grandadmiral

Infinite Power is da ****
Reaction score
So based on the current slew of candidates, is it enough to keep Mitch from throwing his name into the race?

crosswatt

Bulldawg was my friend
Staff member
Administrator
VIP Contributor
Reaction score

It's a Ross Perot situation developing with Sanders though. He was at the high water mark last cycle, and this time won't find the same groundswell I think. He'd serve the country better by finding a candidate that he aligns with the most, and throwing his full weight behind him/her. Ultimately, he should return the favor and support Tulsi Gabbard for the office, since she went to the extraordinary lengths of resigning from her Vice Chair position to both expose unfair primary treatment of him and to endorse him.

SystemShock

uh yu ka t'ann
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
I get it---just don't see it the same way. IMO, I just want the person best-suited policy wise in that position. If a person is cleared by medical staff to be able to do his/her job, what does it matter how old someone is? I'm not oblivious to reality--there is of course that risk of health issues when you are that old. But I think that is why you bring along someone who is ready to assume the presidency as VP.

Under those conditions, which I think are a given, age for the most part won't matter.

Sure, if he were to get the nomination, there's a good chance he'd be a one term President. However, I've spoken to many, many people who are as sharp as a tack well into their 80's.
Age does matter. It may not matter to you, but it matters for a lot of people, and the point here is to remove the cancer from the WH: this is not the time for ideology spats. It wasn't time for ideology spats back in 2016 either, but back then people didn't listen, and didn't vote against Trump; instead threw a tantrum and voted 3rd party or didn't vote.

Heathen Saint

#Sanders2020
VIP Subscribing Member
Reaction score
Age does matter. It may not matter to you, but it matters for a lot of people, and the point here is to remove the cancer from the WH: this is not the time for ideology spats.
Waiiiit wait wait....Let's dig in here:

Is the real reason so many are opposed to Sanders really because he is "too old"? And is the logic behind that only "he may die in office"? That's the reason you bring along a VP who can take over if situation calls for it -- like every presidency. Correct me if i'm wrong.

I still don't see what age matters if someone of sound mind can hold the position and especially considering many folks work into their 80's these days. Some of you act like the guy is in his 90's. He'd be 79 when elected. Trump is just 5 years younger and in objectively worse health. Why isn't anyone shouting about that?

Assuming I'm on to something with it being more than just "age"...I'll just say that there should be no surprise that 2020 will be a 2016 part II situation in which you have an establishment "shoo-in" (like Biden) and a progressive outsider but contender (Sanders/Warren) that seems to enact some sort of "inner party dysfunction".

I won't beat this dead horse, but I've said it before and I'll say it again....2016 was the sign of a palpable shift left within the party, not some fluke spurred by a populist who young people liked. You WILL see it again. These are the growing pains.

Oh, and yes..a full 12 percent of voters who voted for Sanders in the primaries voted for Trump in the general. Before someone says it, there's no evidence they would've voted for Clinton. But wait...why would Sanders voters vote Trump?

That's easy. What did both Sanders and Trump harp on? Working for the middle class average joe. Coming out against hurtful trade deals, giving the power back to the working class, pulling out of unnecessary wars, etc.

Guess which candidate actually meant it? Again....If some of you think another moderate is the answer, all I can do is disagree and point to the contrary. I'm not saying it necessarily has to be Sanders, but someone who rails on the same issues that hit close to home for the middle class. And I'll just argue that Sanders (and Warren) have the best track records for those sentiments.

It wasn't time for ideology spats back in 2016 either, but back then people didn't listen, and didn't vote against Trump; instead threw a tantrum and voted 3rd party or didn't vote.
Ah..So you seem to be getting at something here:

So we can iron this out a bit--I'm curious....Do you think that the Hillary/Bernie/DNC/Centrist vs Progressive kerfuffle played any large part in Trump's victory?

Because I think nominating folks like Clinton were much more of the reason Trump won.

And that issue was and is still with the party at large.

Last edited:

WhoDatPhan78

Definitely not part of the deep state.
Reaction score
Trump is too old.

Elizabeth Warren is too old.

Joe Biden is too old.

Not because they might die, but because they are too old.

Old people make great advisors. Experience is invaluable.

I’m at the point where I think there should be an upper age on the president as well. Maybe 60 or 65 at inagruation day.

Maybe in 20 years when I’m that age I’ll feel different, but right now I don’t think I can take another baby boomer president.

I think we need a leader to lead us into the future, not overcome the past.

Is that ageist? Absolutely. I’ve already considered that and have accepted my prejudice.

guidomerkinsrules

W H A T E V I R
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
This might haven been said before but I just realized this is the first wide open election for the dems since 92 (04 was openish, but not as much as it should have been)
Like ‘92, I think we’ll find a good blend of broad policy and electable

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Twitter

Headlines

Saints Headlines (Official Site)

Top Bottom