Trade Alvin Kamara in Offseason (2 Viewers)

One, Kamara is a core foundation player. You don't trade him. He's excellent on the field and the locker room.

Two, no one going to trade for him in the off-season. You'll have to wait until the trade deadline. Much like Carolina did with McCaffrey and found someone willing to pay a hefty price

Stop the madness. AK41 being on the team is one of the reasons why a new coach would see us as a desirable team. Impending suspension be darned

A RB going into year 7, that seems in decline, on a team that is about to go into a multi year rebuild due to poor draft decisions and cap management?

You may not want to see AK go, I don’t particularly want him gone, but it may be necessary. It may be the last time he has trade value. Or you keep him and he will be in year 9/10 by the time this team is ready to compete again.

One, Kamara is a core foundation player

Another example of Loomis Derangement Syndrome. Live in the now, don’t prepare for tomorrow.

What good is a year 7 RB going to do in a complete rebuild? You aren’t going to compete again for years. By that time Kamara will be a relic as a RB.

Loomis’ absolutely terrible decisions the last few years created a mushroom cloud inside this franchise. It may be better for Kamara and the Saints to let him go.

Last edited:
I don't know about trading Kamara but it might be time to draft an effective backup RB to replace Ingram. That dude is done and the guys behind him on the roster aren't that good. Middle of the draft should have some good backs available.

A RB going into year 7, that seems in decline, on a team that is about to go into a multi year rebuild due to poor draft decisions and cap management?

You may not want to see AK go, I don’t particularly want him gone, but it may be necessary. It may be the last time he has trade value. Or you keep him and he will be in year 9/10 by the time this team is ready to compete again.

Another example of Loomis Derangement Syndrome. Live in the now, don’t prepare for tomorrow.

What good is a year 7 RB going to do in a complete rebuild? You aren’t going to compete again for years. By that time Kamara will be a relic as a RB.

Loomis’ absolutely terrible decisions the last few years created a mushroom cloud inside this franchise. It may be better for Kamara and the Saints to let him go.
AK41’s skill set will allow him to be an effective player for another handful of years. There are not many RBs that can find pockets in the defense like he can in the passing game. Very few players have it like he has. He is truly gifted in that sense bc he just has a feel for it and he runs amazing routes and takes exceptional angles that produces YAC. That’s why when Drew was here, he was basically unstoppable. You just have to have a QB that knows how to manipulate a defense with his eyes/shoulders, timing, and to put the ball where it needs to be. Heck there was a point where the defense knew AK41 had a 50% chance at getting the ball and still couldn’t stop it. It’s all about the QB. Plus, AK41 is still a very “fresh” veteran in terms of usage. While I will agree that his trade value is still at a premium and that would dwindle over time, but it’s not like we ran him into the ground over the course of his career and he has avoided any major injury thus far. I would keep him and draft another great compliment back.

AK41’s skill set will allow him to be an effective player for another handful of years. There are not many RBs that can find pockets in the defense like he can in the passing game. Very few players have it like he has. He is truly gifted in that sense bc he just has a feel for it and he runs amazing routes and takes exceptional angles that produces YAC. That’s why when Drew was here, he was basically unstoppable. You just have to have a QB that knows how to manipulate a defense with his eyes/shoulders, timing, and to put the ball where it needs to be. Heck there was a point where the defense knew AK41 had a 50% chance at getting the ball and still couldn’t stop it. It’s all about the QB. Plus, AK41 is still a very “fresh” veteran in terms of usage. While I will agree that his trade value is still at a premium and that would dwindle over time, but it’s not like we ran him into the ground over the course of his career and he has avoided any major injury thus far. I would keep him and draft another great compliment back.

I disagree. I dont think Kamaras skill set ages well. A 2 year rebuild puts Kamara going into year 9. That is a dinosaur at RB. Id think power ages better than speed and agility. A power rb can get by longer. You lose speed and agility before you lose power.

Kamara averaged 4.9 ypc his first 4 years. He has averaged 3.8 his last 2. A full ypc less. He has missed 2 games this season, and 4 last season. Durability doesnt get better as you age. If you go by total touches, he isnt any more fresh than any other RB through 6 years.

I disagree. I dont think Kamaras skill set ages well. A 2 year rebuild puts Kamara going into year 9. That is a dinosaur at RB. Id think power ages better than speed and agility. A power rb can get by longer. You lose speed and agility before you lose power.

Kamara averaged 4.9 ypc his first 4 years. He has averaged 3.8 his last 2. A full ypc less. He has missed 2 games this season, and 4 last season. Durability doesnt get better as you age. If you go by total touches, he isnt any more fresh than any other RB through 6 years.
I agree with this sentiment. Kamara has been an amazing Saint. So was Reggie and Sproles. You have to understand the roster building and maintenance of the league to stay competitive. Keeping Kamara on this current roster is a wate of his talent and our money. He will continue to slow down and like poster above mentioned, he has been more injured the past 2 seasons, when weve asked him to be the feature back. And he needs to be the feature back for the moeny we paid him, not just a role player. It would be incredibly stupid to keep him, if you could get a Christian McCaffery type offer. We need picks to help rebuild. A satellite back is a luxury we no longer can afford nor need at this point.

Saints fans need to understand that people on here saying trade Kamara arent reacting to just last game. Last game just gives them a little bit more of an opening to speak about it. I wish Kamara nothing but success, because he is one of my favorite Saints players of all-time but even I can see its time to move on.

Didn't Buffalo inquire about his availability? when someone is asking you can get a lot.
That’s a good point. Guess I don’t have much faith in our FO to not get fleeced in a trade.

I agree with this sentiment. Kamara has been an amazing Saint. So was Reggie and Sproles. You have to understand the roster building and maintenance of the league to stay competitive. Keeping Kamara on this current roster is a wate of his talent and our money. He will continue to slow down and like poster above mentioned, he has been more injured the past 2 seasons, when weve asked him to be the feature back. And he needs to be the feature back for the moeny we paid him, not just a role player. It would be incredibly stupid to keep him, if you could get a Christian McCaffery type offer. We need picks to help rebuild. A satellite back is a luxury we no longer can afford nor need at this point.

Saints fans need to understand that people on here saying trade Kamara arent reacting to just last game. Last game just gives them a little bit more of an opening to speak about it. I wish Kamara nothing but success, because he is one of my favorite Saints players of all-time but even I can see its time to move on.
Well said. Most posters here love the players more than their kids and could never trade them. Take the emotions out and it’s time to sell AK is any offer close to what McCaffery fetched can be gained.

If you take out the Raiders game, Kamara's season has been pretty bad for his standards. However, I don't believe he is tradeable given the cap hit + dead money that we'd incur.

Hopefully we get a new coaching staff in here next year and Kamara has a bounce back season.

Anyone else think it’s a great time to trade him? I wonder what compensation would look like. I know he’s on of my favorite players but we need to start stockpiling draft picks to rebuild this team. I feel like if we wait too long we won’t get anything for him.

Who else do you think we can get compensation for (that you wouldn’t build around)?

I’d definitely keep Olave.
I think you should stay on your meds.

AK41’s skill set was never based on speed. He has great vision, balance, patience, and he is very deceptive with his route running. He’s not even elusive, he just knows how to get the chunk yards and not take big hits. Very intelligent player. Outside of last year, he’s never had over 200 carries. Dude still has fresh legs. Last year was his worst statistical year (which you mentioned), he still put up over 1,300 scrimmage yards and 9 TDs. That’s with missing 4 games and having to play with 3 different QBs. That kind of year would give 90% of the RBs a mega contract. Just saying, some RBs are not the norm and I truly believe that AK41 is a rare breed. Just my $.02

Just for comparison. Johnathan Taylor (a power RB) in only 40 games has 300 less carries than AK41. Let that sink in for a minute

Anyone else think it’s a great time to trade him? I wonder what compensation would look like. I know he’s on of my favorite players but we need to start stockpiling draft picks to rebuild this team. I feel like if we wait too long we won’t get anything for him.

Who else do you think we can get compensation for (that you wouldn’t build around)?

I’d definitely keep Olave.
who in their right mind would want him

AK41’s skill set was never based on speed. He has great vision, balance, patience, and he is very deceptive with his route running. He’s not even elusive, he just knows how to get the chunk yards and not take big hits. Very intelligent player. Outside of last year, he’s never had over 200 carries. Dude still has fresh legs. Last year was his worst statistical year (which you mentioned), he still put up over 1,300 scrimmage yards and 9 TDs. That’s with missing 4 games and having to play with 3 different QBs. That kind of year would give 90% of the RBs a mega contract. Just saying, some RBs are not the norm and I truly believe that AK41 is a rare breed. Just my $.02

Just for comparison. Johnathan Taylor (a power RB) in only 40 games has 300 less carries than AK41. Let that sink in for a minute

Kamara also had 243 catches and 31 kick and punt returns his first 3 seasons. Taylor has 97 catches and 0 kr/pr into his 3rd season. Taylor has had 121 total targets in the passing game in 3 years, Kamara had 302.

Taylor was absolutely over utilized last year. If the Saints used Kamara that much, he would be injured. Every time theyve tried to make Kamara a work horse RB, he has gotten dinged up. But you factor in all of Kamaras touches and targets, he is probably around average to above average in total usage for a 6 year RB.

You are thinking about Kamara, who has already peaked at RB, being the same guy 2 years from now when we have rebuilt this team. I wish he could retire as a Saint, but theres no indication that keeping him helps us more than trading him as we start a rebuild.

Belichick has made a career out of letting players go a year too early. This is probably that time for Kamara.

Kamara also had 243 catches and 31 kick and punt returns his first 3 seasons. Taylor has 97 catches and 0 kr/pr into his 3rd season. Taylor has had 121 total targets in the passing game in 3 years, Kamara had 302.

Taylor was absolutely over utilized last year. If the Saints used Kamara that much, he would be injured. Every time theyve tried to make Kamara a work horse RB, he has gotten dinged up. But you factor in all of Kamaras touches and targets, he is probably around average to above average in total usage for a 6 year RB.

You are thinking about Kamara, who has already peaked at RB, being the same guy 2 years from now when we have rebuilt this team. I wish he could retire as a Saint, but theres no indication that keeping him helps us more than trading him as we start a rebuild.
There’s a difference between being active in the passing game and running into a stacked box. AK41 for all of the catches he’s made, has taken way less hits than being a bell cow back. That’s why I’m not worried about him long term. Obviously we view this differently, but I have watched pretty much every game that AK41 has played and at no point have I ever thought that he is on the decline. Give that man a viable QB that can do the things necessary for AK41 to be vital in the passing game and a good compliment RB and we are good

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom