Trade Alvin Kamara in Offseason (1 Viewer)

There’s a difference between being active in the passing game and running into a stacked box. AK41 for all of the catches he’s made, has taken way less hits than being a bell cow back. That’s why I’m not worried about him long term. Obviously we view this differently, but I have watched pretty much every game that AK41 has played and at no point have I ever thought that he is on the decline. Give that man a viable QB that can do the things necessary for AK41 to be vital in the passing game and a good compliment RB and we are good

The stats say he is declining. NFL history say he is at the point of decline.

And thats not really the way we should be looking at this situation. We have a full rebuild coming, without several draft picks over the course of 3 seasons. Not only do we not have a 1 next year, we gave up a 2, 3, 3, and 4 from 2022-2024 to draft Olave and Penning. We also have a giant amount of dead money, aging players in Jordan and Davis, whatever it is Michael Thomas does and a full wipeout of the coaching staff. So we are cap strapped, and we dont have 5 potential early round picks on their rookie contracts overcontributing on the field in relation to their cap hit.

This isnt about trading what Kamara for what he is right now. Its 1) his value now vs later and 2) a 2+ year rebuild. By the time we are potentially competing again, Kamara will be going into year 9. He is in some form of decline now, another 2 years is running back medicare.

And did you watch the game yesterday? Active in the passing game, Kamara took harder hits than he wouldve taken running into the middle of the defense. Kamara was blasted quite a few times yesterday in the passing game.

We really do have a lot of fans who don’t understand how the NFL works and would be terrible GMs. The same people who are saying they wouldn’t trade Kamara are probably the same people who thought that Eagles trade was a good idea. I get he’s very popular and it’d be sad to see him go but a player like Kamara has little use on a team as bad as ours.

Kamara is quite clearly on the decline, the stats show that. Whilst still a good player he isn’t producing anywhere near at the level he was when Brees was QB. Of course, you can maybe blame the play calling or inability of our QBs to get him the ball as much but the end result is the same. Also, he is likely to be banned for at least 6 games.

Now, when you then factor in the fact that we aren’t contending for the next 2 years at the very least, you absolutely should look to trade Kamara. By the time we are contenders again Kamara will likely be washed. Cash in while we can and use the pick to help rebuild the roster.

However, it’s all likely a moot point because, without looking at the numbers, I imagine we can’t trade him due to the dead cap hit.

My only defense of Kamara this year is everyone knows when he's going to get the ball. Same thing when Hill enters the game. The offense is vanilla and the Saints opponents are not fooled by any schemes. Defenses are blasting Kamara and Hill because they know whose getting the ball.

I wonder how many other vet's they'd have to cut to make the cap after his dead cap hit of $19,372,000.

POTENTIAL OUT: 2024, 4 YR, $40,333,000; $9,279,000 DEAD CAP​

The stats say he is declining. NFL history say he is at the point of decline.

And thats not really the way we should be looking at this situation. We have a full rebuild coming, without several draft picks over the course of 3 seasons. Not only do we not have a 1 next year, we gave up a 2, 3, 3, and 4 from 2022-2024 to draft Olave and Penning. We also have a giant amount of dead money, aging players in Jordan and Davis, whatever it is Michael Thomas does and a full wipeout of the coaching staff. So we are cap strapped, and we dont have 5 potential early round picks on their rookie contracts overcontributing on the field in relation to their cap hit.

This isnt about trading what Kamara for what he is right now. Its 1) his value now vs later and 2) a 2+ year rebuild. By the time we are potentially competing again, Kamara will be going into year 9. He is in some form of decline now, another 2 years is running back medicare.

And did you watch the game yesterday? Active in the passing game, Kamara took harder hits than he wouldve taken running into the middle of the defense. Kamara was blasted quite a few times yesterday in the passing game.
How is his stats saying he is in decline, when last year he had 1,300 scrimmage yards while missing 4 games? Even if he were to only average 50 scrimmage yards those 4 games, then he would’ve finished with 1,500. That’s not a number that RBs reach easily. AK41 pretty much done that in his sleep so far.

How is his stats saying he is in decline, when last year he had 1,300 scrimmage yards while missing 4 games? Even if he were to only average 50 scrimmage yards those 4 games, then he would’ve finished with 1,500. That’s not a number that RBs reach easily. AK41 pretty much done that in his sleep so far.

81+ catches in each of his first 4 seasons. Then 47, now 49. Rushing YPC 4.9 his first 4 seasons, 3.8 the last 2. Those numbers are a sign of decline.

We really do have a lot of fans who don’t understand how the NFL works and would be terrible GMs. The same people who are saying they wouldn’t trade Kamara are probably the same people who thought that Eagles trade was a good idea. I get he’s very popular and it’d be sad to see him go but a player like Kamara has little use on a team as bad as ours.

Kamara is quite clearly on the decline, the stats show that. Whilst still a good player he isn’t producing anywhere near at the level he was when Brees was QB. Of course, you can maybe blame the play calling or inability of our QBs to get him the ball as much but the end result is the same. Also, he is likely to be banned for at least 6 games.

Now, when you then factor in the fact that we aren’t contending for the next 2 years at the very least, you absolutely should look to trade Kamara. By the time we are contenders again Kamara will likely be washed. Cash in while we can and use the pick to help rebuild the roster.

However, it’s all likely a moot point because, without looking at the numbers, I imagine we can’t trade him due to the dead cap hit.
Stop it, who looks good in this offense this year?! Even Olave could look way better with a real HC and OC. Not saying I give players a pass but you can’t just say a player is on the decline when the team even admitted then didn’t know how to get him the ball the first 5 weeks.

Stop it, who looks good in this offense this year?! Even Olave could look way better with a real HC and OC. Not saying I give players a pass but you can’t just say a player is on the decline when the team even admitted then didn’t know how to get him the ball the first 5 weeks.

Im not saying he is in full decline. His numbers have declined. All Im saying is in 2 -3 years after a rebuild he will be in year 9. By then, the odds are stacked against him to be an effective RB at that point. He is still a top 10 back. But will he be after a rebuild? Thats the idea for trading him now. While he is still a top 10 back.

Im not saying he is in full decline. His numbers have declined. All Im saying is in 2 -3 years after a rebuild he will be in year 9. By then, the odds are stacked against him to be an effective RB at that point. He is still a top 10 back. But will he be after a rebuild? Thats the idea for trading him now. While he is still a top 10 back.
Because if you trade him now we are done for the next 5/6 years. No coach will want to come here. Cap hell, no star players, no picks. From a business stand point, owners and GMs wouldn’t sign off on that. It would lose too much money. If we aren’t winning from a business stand point you have to still be able to sell tickets and market the team some way. It’s the same reason why the pelicans kept Chris Paul. The league knew if they allowed that trade the market would crash for the team. No fan wants to hear the business side of sports but it plays a factor.

I don’t hear anything about the offensive line when talking about Kamara. The offensive line is getting overwhelmed. It is not half as good as it was a few years ago. We seem to overlook that. If there is a hole, Kamara will run through it. Quickly.

The o line is down. And we are not scheming well enough to overcome that.

I don’t hear anything about the offensive line when talking about Kamara. The offensive line is getting overwhelmed. It is not half as good as it was a few years ago. We seem to overlook that. If there is a hole, Kamara will run through it. Quickly.

The o line is down. And we are not scheming well enough to overcome that.
He’s been hit in the back field this year more than he’s ever in his career.

They are also signs of bad offense coordination and poor QB/OL play.

What else on the team happened around that time frame?

Right. I wont argue with that. My only argument is, we are about to rebuild without draft picks or cap room. So a quick rebuild probably isnt going to happen. So do you trade kamara while he still has value, or do you drag him through a rebuild - so when you come out on the other side he is a 9/10 year NFL vet. A 9/10 year NFL RB is almost always well on their way to the end of their career.

We'd be dumb to trade Kamara. Keep him. We need a creative play caller who can scheme up different ways to use him. Stating the obvious, but we need a QB who can spread the ball around and possibly tuck/run to remove the keying-in on AK.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom