"Trade Back" Logistics (1 Viewer)

jboss

All-Pro
Reaction score
I hear this an awful lot here hoping we trade back to get more picks. We've been notorious for being the team with the fewest picks most years under Sean Payton due to in no small part for being the team that always trades up.

But the whole "trade back" talk always interests me. From my perspective, to trade back, another team has to want to trade up. Meaning we have to get a call on draft day from a team trying to trade into our position to get their guy.

So what I'm wondering is that do teams really sit on their pick and make calls to other teams offering that pick so they can get more? I feel like this isn't as common, if it happens much at all, as opposed to trade up calls.

I’ve always questioned the frustration with not trading back. Someone has to want that pick to trade back. The FO can’t strong arm another team into trading up into the Saints pick. I also think that #28 is a tough sell. Not high enough to get those mid 1st round talents and if a team wants that 5th year option, why not try to get #31 or #32 for cheaper.

So what I'm wondering is that do teams really sit on their pick and make calls to other teams offering that pick so they can get more? I feel like this isn't as common, if it happens much at all, as opposed to trade up calls.

Well every trade up call is a trade back call for the other team…so I think it’s equal.

I hear this an awful lot here hoping we trade back to get more picks. We've been notorious for being the team with the fewest picks most years under Sean Payton due to in no small part for being the team that always trades up.

But the whole "trade back" talk always interests me. From my perspective, to trade back, another team has to want to trade up. Meaning we have to get a call on draft day from a team trying to trade into our position to get their guy.

I think there are several factors at play. I think the teams have a trade value chart they use (whether it’s an internal one or the one you hear the analysts talk about) for the starting point - but that just serves as a baseline for any possible trade.

Then there’s who’s on the board, how much do the teams want that player, and where they think the talent is clustered. For example if they like the talent through pick 50 but then it falls off, that would impact the relative value.

I suspect that unless you have a very specific target, they’re always working the phones to some degree every pick.

I don't think teams call to trade back.

That makes no sense. How would they know who to call?

Teams get called that want to trade up with you and if you accept, you've successfully traded back.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom