Trade down???? Are we in Bizarro World? (1 Viewer)

baarbogast

Hall-of-Famer
Reaction score
An aggressive approach has been the preference in the modern era of New Orleans football. The Saints have traded up in every draft Payton has overseen except for his first year on the job, back in 2006 (the Saints stood pat in the 2012 draft, when Payton was suspended). They’ve traded down just twice in the last 14 years, in 2006 and 2007 — when Payton was building his roster from the ground up, looking to acquire veterans and extra draft capital.
Still, trading down isn’t a maneuver Payton is ready to rule out.

https://saintswire.usatoday.com/2020/02/28/sean-payton-saints-draft-picks-trade-history/

As I said in the Burrow thread, My thinking it more than likely pertain to the second round. Cincy has pick 33 and 65, Miami has picks 39 and 56 in the 2nd and pick 70. The Jets have pick 48 in the 2nd and 68 and 79 in the 3rd.

Trade with Cincy:
Bengals get pick 24
Saints get picks 33and 65:
Potential targets:
Damon Arnett – CB-OSU
A.J. Terrell- CB- Clemson
https://www.sportingnews.com/us/nfl...ard-top-100-players/4g8v0bsp4p2n1o952wtueecs5
65:
Calvin Throckmorton -T- Oregon
Bradlye Anae - Edge- Utah
Michael Pittman- WR- USC
Trade with Miami::
Miami has 3 1sts, Jumping from 26 to 24 is possible but unlikely
NY Jets: Again another highly unlikely trade, I can’t see trading down 24 spots without getting Next year’s first. I doubt the Jets would be willing to trade a top half of the draft pick, potentially top 10, someone this year.
NY Jets get pick 24
Saints get picks: 48, 68 and 79 in 2020 and 2021 1st
This seems like too steep of a price to pay, possibly they keep one of their 3rds.

Every year I’m a proponent of the Saints trading down and getting more picks. They never do. If anything they trade up for certain targeted players. They do on occasion do something that drives me absolutely nuts - trade future picks to move up. So far it hasn’t bitten them hard but it has the potential too. While the OP has a well thought out plan history shows the chances of it happening are almost zero.

Every year I’m a proponent of the Saints trading down and getting more picks. They never do. If anything they trade up for certain targeted players. They do on occasion do something that drives me absolutely nuts - trade future picks to move up. So far it hasn’t bitten them hard but it has the potential too. While the OP has a well thought out plan history shows the chances of it happening are almost zero.
This front office mo has always been trade up and get your guy. I don’t see that changing. Either stay pat or trade up

Last edited:
To me, the decision of trading up or down depends on the maturity and depth of your roster.

When you have depth signed for medium/long term and only few spots available, you trade up and go for blue chip prospects.

When you have or will have many holes in your roster, for lack of quality or multiple players leaving for over the market salaries, then you trade down and build depth.

The last couple of drafts we were doing n trading up situations. Now we should star seriously consider to trade down. Next year may be a must.

Trading back does seem unlikely. It would seem that there will be some guys in their "cloud" available at 24 should their inevitable attempts to trade up fail. However, if they have no players they value as first round talent at 24, they will have holes to fill with the salary cap casualties we will see this year. So, if they trade down, this is the year to get more picks. The last couple of drafts they did not need to acquire more picks because their roster was deep. That depth will suffer this year and next as the salary cap chickens come home to roost.

To me, the decision of trading up or down depends on the maturity and depth of your roster.

When you have depth signed for medium/long term and only few spots available, you trade up and go for blue chip prospects.

When you have or will have many holes in your roster, for lack of quality or multiple players leaving for over the market salaries, then you trade down and build depth.

The last couple of drafts we were doing n trading up situations. Now we should star seriously consider to trade down. Next year may be a must.
LOL I must have been writing as you were writing.

This front office mo has always been trade up and get your guy. I don’t see that changing. Either stay pat or trade up
Well, apart from the clear examples given in the OP of us doing it under Payton in 2006 and 07.

I don’t know. That 1st year option on first round talent is pretty valuable. That has to be considered into the price.

yes the roster spots available is a big part of it.

other than that you still may trade down if trading up wasn’t available and you do not have confidence that any pick will stand out more than others between your pick and the trade spot

or you really like a guy but have high confidence that he is not going at your given spot to someone else.

we might really like a WR that is going to tumble a bit due to the depth at the position. And I don’t think we can bring to many lineman in for looks anyway. I think it’s highly unlikely SP actually does but I would have confidence in it if he did.

i think though i see a switch in strategy coming. We have hit on 3 straight drafts and those contracts are going to come to roost. I think, the plan might be changing to trade down and add picks at lower costs to equal out the rise in salaries. That being said, the price for the most expensive position is going to go down drastically in a year.

honestly, there is probably going to be an equation period in this draft where the saints have to make an option, do we trade up and get our guy, then do we stay point, then do we trade down. Unlike the past couple of years where you move up to get who you want.

I'd love to find a way to trade down and get #34 and #44 from the Colts. We would have to add our 3rd I'm sure or include a player.

I'd love to find a way to trade down and get #34 and #44 from the Colts. We would have to add our 3rd I'm sure or include a player.
Sadly, we aren't that close even if we swapped our 1 and 3 for those two Indy picks

Too little too late. Been saying trade down for years but they wanna blow picks every year

Instead of trading up for Davenport they should've traded down and maybe they would have a #2 reciever a lg and lb by now

Too little too late. Been saying trade down for years but they wanna blow picks every year

Instead of trading up for Davenport they should've traded down and maybe they would have a #2 reciever a lg and lb by now
And a huge whole at DE opposite Cam. You don't get to have it both ways.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom