Trade Down From 15 and Still Draft a Pass Rusher? (1 Viewer)

Weakside linebackers available after round two:

Devin Taylor
Sio Moore
Joe Kruger
Brandon Sharpe

Brandon Sharpe might be another huge sleeper as a late round pick or undrafted guy because of his strong hands, motor and penchant for racking up TFLs.

Strongside guys who I love in the late rounds or as UDFAs are

Steven Means of Buffalo
Tristain Okpaluago of Fresno State

I don't think that we necessarily need to draft a pass rusher in the first two rounds, though I would love Margus Hunt or Corey Lemonier. Mingo and Jones would be solid but Ansah is probably out of our range.

I don't think trading down is going to happen.

This draft has no stand out players that teams are clamoring over. But what it does have, is loads of depth. You can get almost the same talent at the end of the first that you can in the early teens.

For this reason, I see lots of teams wanting to trade back and very, very few wanting to trade up.

After seeing how the "experts" mock draft trade down played out I'm inclined to stay put. The trade back (Cincinnati?) looked bad because the desirable first round talent was gone. If there are players in the 2nd that Loomis likes and he decides to do something like trade the first to Cincinnati for their two 2nds and a 3rd or something else then maybe it would be worth it but, even then, I'm not sure that value is being received. One quality impact pass rusher is worth more than what any team can return unless a lucky pick is made.

If a team offers something good, we should rush to trade down. This is a talented draft. We need to get more picks to help our D. If not, with our first, be a dawg about it and draft the most explosive offensive player available! Use the remaining picks, udfa, and free agents to solidify the D. I can see championship with this scenario.

I don't think trading down is going to happen.

This draft has no stand out players that teams are clamoring over. But what it does have, is loads of depth. You can get almost the same talent at the end of the first that you can in the early teens.

Agreed but you could have a WR graded exactly the same as a corner and want to move up for that WR cuz you can't get a guy like that at the position you want at 22... So in theory, you could have 25 guys rated the exact same from 15 down but still want to move up to get the equally ranked guy at the position you really want/need...

Assuming the top 3 LT's are gone then I dont see us going wrong with Lotulelei, Jones, D/J, or Vacarro. Unless we can get a 2nd and still pick in the first (49rs?) then I dont want us to trade at all.

Experts (read draftniks who haven't watched him get burned whenever he played against talented WRs)say, he has good instincts, is great in coverage, and is very smart.

I do not want to trade away a future 1st again. It did not work out well last time. As far as Vacarro, the knock on him is that he is not a ballhawk and people (who actually have watched him play in big games)question his ball skills. That makes me nervous when deciding to use the 15 on him.

fixed

As for trading down, if there is a premiere pass rush prospect at 15, DO NOT DO IT. This still is far and away our largest team need. OT is second on the list, but IMHO lags far behind. While we certainly could upgrade at safety, a ball hawk isn't going to help our defense nearly as much as a legitimate pass rusher. If the QB isn't getting pressure, he's not going to fall for the bait of a ballhawking safety anyway. He'll have time to pick and choose. With guys barrelling down on him every pass play, then a ball hawk has a chance to trick him into a mistake.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom