Trade Down From 15 and Still Draft a Pass Rusher? (1 Viewer)

insidejob

Respect existence or expect resistance.
Approved Blogger
Reaction score
First things first: I know that Mickey Loomis drafts BPA and has no history of trading back, but wouldn't this be the kind of year to do something a little different? Shake things up a little?

The draft is all about value and we won't know who, if anyone, values our pick until the draft starts playing itself out. Here is a link to the NFL draft value chart. I'm not big on predicting draft day trade scenarios but there are quite a few teams out there with a plethora of picks this year. And who knows, maybe one of those teams wants #15.

This year's draft is so loaded with defensive play makers that it's a little ridiculous. Offense, not so much. Those poor teams in need of a quarterback might as well pick one up off the street rather than overdraft this group of late-rounders. To be quite clear on this, I do not care what position the Saints draft so long as it's a guy who can get after the friggin quarterback.

Seems that I'm hearing a lot of this new mindset:

"We picked up Butler and gave Galette a long-term deal, with Wilson in the mix we don't need to get a pass rusher with our first."

And upon hearing that, those who remember watching the Dome Patrol literally abuse opposing offenses think to themselves:

"Well, shucks. These guys must be right. We picked up one of Ryan's guys who's an average player and have two unknowns with high ceilings...might as well consider ourselves set in the pass rushing department and draft Drew's future replacement or a wide receiver at 15 and call it a day."

Trade Down From 15 and Still Pick Up a Pass Rusher?

Yes, please.

I'm still in the category of "If there is a pass rusher you like at 15, you take him"

Pass rushers are hard to come by. We've been searching for one for years now and it has consistently been this teams main weakness. Those guys usually go early in the draft and cost a bundle when they hit FA (look at how much Kruger, a PT player, demanded this year). If you got a chance to get one, you take him.

With that said, dont reach for a guy either. If you are not sold on Mingo or have reservations about J.Jones then you take the next best, CB, S, OL, DT, or whatever.

But you can get DB's later in the draft, And we've shown we can turn **** to sugar with late round OL. But pass rushers? Hard to find.

I used to be a big proponent of trading down from the 15th spot....well, not anymore!

The more I watch, and listen to experts, the more one players stands out.....

Kenny Vacarro...!!

he is projected to go around the 15-18 pick, so drafting him as BPA makes sense, provided the draft goes as the experts predict.

But then how can we get a chance in the 2nd rd? This year's 2nd rd is exceptionally good, and many think that starters will be selected this year in the 2nd rd. It looks like the Saints particularly like the OLB Collins in the 2nd rd....

the only way that can be done if the Saints give up their 1st rd pick next year, for this year's 2nd rd pick from someone else. That might be the best scenario to draft Collins in the 2nd rd. The way experts sound is that the Saints will be in the mix in the playoffs this season, and if that's the case, the only thing assured is drafting late next year....how late, it yet to be determined, but an early 2nd rd pick this year, on the expense of the 1st rd pick next yea,r actually benefits the Saints....

The more I hear about Vacarro, the better I feel in drafting him. Experts say, he has good instincts, is great in coverage, and is very smart.....for awhile I thought the experts were talking about Darren Sharper, or Ed Reed.....and we all know what a playmaker can do in the secondary....he can fire up the whole secondary with this playmaking ability, and the last time something like that happened, the Saints ended up winning the SB!

I say let's stay where we are...draft Vacarro at 15, and trade our 1st rd pick next year for Collins in the 2nd rd. We would have a legit playmaker in the secondary, coupled with a passrusher.....a win win situation....

My dream scenario is to trade down and take Carradine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am hoping we drade down that way we could get jamie collins in the 2nd he is a really good player

This is assuming another team doesnt get him first. Trading down with the intention of drafting a player later is always dangerous. If you like him so much take him right there.

Alex Okafor is the forgotten man. That guy is better than Mingo, Ansah, and Collins, in my opinion. Would love to trade back to the mid-late 20's and get Okafor, and get the best S/NT/OT on the board with the other pick.

My dream scenario is to trade down and take Carradine.

And that's if he's there. I'd be cool with him at #15 if the ACL checks out. Top 5 guy if healthy. He can play in any scheme.

I would hope we could find someone desperate enough to over-offer to get our 15th. Then we rack up.

I used to be a big proponent of trading down from the 15th spot....well, not anymore!

The more I watch, and listen to experts, the more one players stands out.....

Kenny Vacarro...!!

he is projected to go around the 15-18 pick, so drafting him as BPA makes sense, provided the draft goes as the experts predict.

But then how can we get a chance in the 2nd rd? This year's 2nd rd is exceptionally good, and many think that starters will be selected this year in the 2nd rd. It looks like the Saints particularly like the OLB Collins in the 2nd rd....

the only way that can be done if the Saints give up their 1st rd pick next year, for this year's 2nd rd pick from someone else. That might be the best scenario to draft Collins in the 2nd rd. The way experts sound is that the Saints will be in the mix in the playoffs this season, and if that's the case, the only thing assured is drafting late next year....how late, it yet to be determined, but an early 2nd rd pick this year, on the expense of the 1st rd pick next yea,r actually benefits the Saints....

The more I hear about Vacarro, the better I feel in drafting him. Experts say, he has good instincts, is great in coverage, and is very smart.....for awhile I thought the experts were talking about Darren Sharper, or Ed Reed.....and we all know what a playmaker can do in the secondary....he can fire up the whole secondary with this playmaking ability, and the last time something like that happened, the Saints ended up winning the SB!

I say let's stay where we are...draft Vacarro at 15, and trade our 1st rd pick next year for Collins in the 2nd rd. We would have a legit playmaker in the secondary, coupled with a passrusher.....a win win situation....

I do not want to trade away a future 1st again. It did not work out well last time. As far as Vacarro, the knock on him is that he is not a ballhawk and people question his ball skills. That makes me nervous when deciding to use the 15 on him.

Win now mode. I'm not interested in developmental projects, rehabbers, or redshirt rookies. Any player that can contribute and make a significant impact now is what I'm selecting. I'm not for trading down unless there is absolutely nothing there and no impact value, but who would trade up if that happened?

That article basically mirrors how i feel.

The perfect storm is brewing for Loomis to do something that is out of the norm.

*Payton is coming in like its his 1 gig so that means we need some new faces(roster turnover) and we need more than 5 new faces.

*New Scheme = more holes to fill. Can't do that with 5 picks.

*The status quo/trend is we are a trade up or stay put team. Trends reverse@ some point and thats my argument for that.

As high as Cali is on Carradine im about the Same with Collins.

Id take Carradine@ 15 if hes healthy...but since i know he can be had late 1st early 2nd id try my hardest to trade back. Same with Collins. Id be comfortable taking him@ 15 but since i know he can be had late 1st early 2nd id try to trade back.

I do not want to trade away a future 1st again. It did not work out well last time. As far as Vacarro, the knock on him is that he is not a ballhawk and people question his ball skills. That makes me nervous when deciding to use the 15 on him.

This scenario i can see. SAy a guy that we don't expect to fall to 15 does....say um Lane Johnson. I would grab him and I would trade that 1st rounder next year and move up in the second for Collins.

LT/OLB are our two biggest needs. Long as we get those two positions sewed up im fine. If Johnson falls to us id be estatic. Then id start making calls to every team to see what they would want to get back into the 2nd.

I hadn't really considered that idea because doing mock drafts u don't really think about future draft picks but thats an interesting thought that hadn't crossed my mind.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom