Trade down? (1 Viewer)

saintsspurs86

there's always this year
Reaction score
who would have to be missing from the 1st round for the Saints to put more thought into trading down? for instance..... if Barkevious Mingo was gone but Jarvis Jones was still available, would we take Jones, or trade down? if they both were gone but, maybe, Star Lotulei was there, would we take him? who would have to be gone for us to decide to trade down out of the 1st round?

Everything is relative. If the Saints get a kings ransom then of course I trade down. But I think that Star and JJ are definitely my top two and if they are there it would be difficult to pass. They are both instant game changers.

Star won't be there. Don't believe the TV GMs - the real decision makers are aware of his ability. He'll be in the top 2 DTs off the board and won't make it to #15.

As for trading down, I suspect that's actually Plan A but in order to do it you've got to have a partner. If we could move back to the 20s and pick up a mid second round pick I think we'd take that in a heart beat and grab someone like Tank Carradine with the pick. But as I said, it all depends on how the big board looks and if anyone is prepared to go up and get a player.

Honestly I doubt we'll be able to. This draft has very few 'can't miss' prospects and everyone else has risk attached in some form or another. So everyone is probably thinking 'acquire more picks, spread the risk'. I could be wrong but to me it feels like a 'trading down' kind of draft.

Depends on how they value guys, not so much where we do. They may not like whoever's on the board at 15 even if we're losing our minds over it.

I think moving back to get a 2nd round pick, if you're looking to draft a safety or something, wouldn't be a bad move. Cyprien could probably be had at the end of the 1st or in the 2nd and it's a good year for linebackers imo

ideally if he's there I'd like to see them just go ahead and take jarvis jones and let it come out in the wash, though.

I would trade down regardless, we need more picks, love to get tank carridine, cornnelious washington, english discus thrower, and so many more, we need lots of picks , I want to redo our running game, by drafting a rb like christine Michael, the teams we play this season have good defenses and we have to be more balanced and that will help the running game.

my thoughts.... wel... not exactly.... but almost. the last few drafts we have traded up and up and up, because there have been 2 or 3 guys we thought were first round worthy. i dont think i even see 2 this year. if this was last years draft, or even the year before. Mingo, Jones, Lotulelei, Ogletree, all guys considered 1st round worthy this year, would all have been 2nd rounders at best in previous drafts, this draft is not starter worthy, it is full of depth and backups. i see us trading down more than anything. i really think Jones and Mingo are the only players we would stay in the 1st round for. if they arent there, i would say we trade into the bottom end of the 1st round, maybe even mid to high 2nd round and pick up either a DT or an OT

Star will be gone before we pick we might just get bingo just like everybody says we will be

There is probably a 0 percent chance Mingo drops to use. No way the Jets pass on him twice.

my thoughts.... wel... not exactly.... but almost. the last few drafts we have traded up and up and up, because there have been 2 or 3 guys we thought were first round worthy. i dont think i even see 2 this year. if this was last years draft, or even the year before. Mingo, Jones, Lotulelei, Ogletree, all guys considered 1st round worthy this year, would all have been 2nd rounders at best in previous drafts, this draft is not starter worthy, it is full of depth and backups. i see us trading down more than anything. i really think Jones and Mingo are the only players we would stay in the 1st round for. if they arent there, i would say we trade into the bottom end of the 1st round, maybe even mid to high 2nd round and pick up either a DT or an OT

As we've said - it's not down to us to decide whether we trade down or not. It all comes down to whether or not we have a partner. But I do want to stress that you're wrong about Lotulelei. For my money he's going to be best as a 3-4 DE and he is not only a day 1 starter - he's got a good chance to me a multiple Pro Bowl pick over the course of his career.

From all accounts this is a pretty deep draft, so everyone will be trying to trade down. As Dart says, you have to have a trading partner--and I just don't see it.

Tavon Austin may be the key to a trade where the Saints trade down.

There are three teams with extra picks that may have an interest in trading up to 15. St. Louis at 16 might be willing to give a three to trade up one spot. Minnesota and San Francisco are the other two teams that might be looking to trade up to 15.

Tavon Austin may be the key to a trade where the Saints trade down.

There are three teams with extra picks that may have an interest in trading up to 15. St. Louis at 16 might be willing to give a three to trade up one spot. Minnesota and San Francisco are the other two teams that might be looking to trade up to 15.

Yep sure would make things interesting if Austin makes it to 15. But will it happen? GAWD I cant wait for Thursday!

Here's the deal, if there is a true playmaker available at 15, offensive or defensive, the Saints should select that person. This team isn't terribly short on talent, it's short on game changers. If that person isn't there, then move down if its an option.

Me personally, i'd rather have a dollar more than a quarter and two dimes.

after reading about this trade today, i came to the very same conclusion...... ive read over and over and over and over again that the Jets were extremely high on Mingo. now that they have 2 draft picks, both ahead of us, i agree..... they will not let him get by them twice if he is still there. so im starting to think its Jones or nothing out of the first. although with as many picks as the 49ers have at their disposal and as many players as they seem to be bringing in for workouts, i wouldnt be totally shocked if they gave up 2 or 3 picks to trade up to the 15th spot

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom