Trade Down (1 Viewer)

Conrad

Reaction score
If anyone has recently read the ESPN Mock Draft that was posted it is mentioned that with the return to school of CB Malcolm Jenkins and LB James Laurantias the defensive talent pool has shrunk. ESPN has the Saints reaching for a DT [Kentwalm Balmer] stating that the elite defensive talent had been selected.

In my opinion the Saints need to trade down and stockpile picks. By adding picks in the higher rounds they will be able to do something that they need to do on defense, build through the draft. The most successful teams in the league have all built through the draft and in many cases have done so through trading down and adding picks.

By adding more picks the Saints also have a better chance of increasing the number of young players that can have an impact on the team. The Saints defense needs more then a single superstar they need a talent upgrade at all positions.

By simply moving down 6 spaces to the 16 the Saints would get an extra 2nd round pick.

By moving down to 22 with Dallas we would get their 2 1st round picks 22 and 28

I somewhat agree with you...

But having multiple draft picks in the first two rounds and being able to draft enough talent to unseat the current starters and make an impact right away just seems too good to be true.

Only one problem... a trade down requires that another team wants to move up to draft a player that would otherwise not be available when they pick... doesn't matter if we want to move down if there is no team that wants to move up badly enough. And being that the talent pool has a huge drop off after the first 5 picks... I can't see a team giving up a lot to move to #10 from anywhere really. Defensive talent is thin... but very good WRs and RBs can be had in this draft all the way into day 2 most likely. Not a very good combo for us to get a good deal to trade down.

Last edited:
There has to be a team willing to move up though.. Unless some offensive stud falls, there may not be that demand.. And who's to say that our front office wouldn't take said offensive stud if the opportunity presented itself? :shrug:

I agree, in theory, that if someone you're targetting isn't there, you should try to move down and get more picks, but the demand has to be there on the other end as well..

[/B]By simply moving down 6 spaces to the 16 the Saints would get an extra 2nd round pick.

By moving down to 22 with Dallas we would get their 2 1st round picks 22 and 28

UMMMMM..THIS IS CONSIDERING THAT ANY OF THESE TEAMS "WANT" TO TRADE DOWN...YOU CAN'T JUST BE LIKE..HMMM I DON'T WANT THIS PICK, I'M TRADING WITH DALLAS....IT DOESN'T WORK THAT WAY MAN...

I understand that a trade down requires a willing partner but in most drafts there have been willing partners to move up and down. Look at last years draft were teams were moving all over the draft board.

I think we will find a trade down partner in someone who is looking for elite offensive talent. Some team like Dallas who may want the top player at WR or RB or a team like Detroit or Pittsburgh who need a LT.

I think they should either trade up to 7 or 8 for DT Sedrick Ellis or trade down to 14 or 15 in order to pick Kenny Phillips/Mike Jenkins/ Aquib Talib/ Dan Connor or Keith Rivers

I've said the same thing... if we do trade down we need to get some good stuff out of the deal... if not some good picks... better throw in some good players.

I say if Kenny Phillips is already picked by time it gets to us, we trade down.

how about something like, trade our #1 to miami or atl for their #2 and next year's #1? unless there's someone willing to give value in this year's draft

All for trading down, the only player worth it at 10 who might be there right now is Ellis and it looks more and more likely he won't be there.

With those 2 guys going back to school I just don't know what the value will be to move up for some teams - actually our best bet might actually be to trade UP in this draft as the value may not be too high for a team that is already set at DT and OT. There are so many QBs out there a team at the top of the draft can still get their guy late.
Then again once the combine starts you will see some CB or WR shoot up the board, happens every year

I dont think a trade down would be bad right now. Right now is in bold for a reason.. Lets talk more after the combine. Might see something that blows us away.

I agree it is early and someone may blow up and we will be happy to take them. I only make the suggestion because it would allow us to cover a number of needs. Granted our chance of landing an A.J Hawk, John Henderson with a trade down is limited but if we can get 2-3 solid players then we will be better off.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom