Trade for Sheppard by swapping 1st!!! (2 Viewers)

The Saints would be absolutely insane not to do it.

Sheppard shut down TO and Moss last season. At his best, he's a top-5 CB. The only trouble is his injuries, but they've all been minor.

I doubt the Eagles would do it, though. They'd probably want at least a 4th or 5th round pick thrown in, and obviously they'd need to want a player that will be there at #10 but not #19.

I'd like that. We could still get one of the best corners or if Kenny Phillips drops to us.

Two things that Saints fans need to come to grips with: first, the coaching staff and front office feel really good about Josh Bullocks. Everyone continues to call for cutting, trading or replacing Bullocks and it is not likely going to happen. Secondly, the Saints are not going to take Kenny Phillips in the first round. Shot out to Bonchie!

I would drop down 9 spots for a Pro Bowl CB that is only 26 years old. He would solidify the back end our defense and we can still get a solid player in the top 20.

Yeah stay put until Ellis and Dorsey are both gone before the 10th pick... I can deal with that... don't make the call to Philly until we're on the clock...

Here's the reality. I think some of us have become so desperate for certain positions on the team that we are willing to do anything. As soon as a player hits the market, you instantly see a group of Saints fans screaming to trade our first for this guy or give up the kitchen sink or this or that. I happen to believe that Dorsey or Ellis will be there, or at worst, will be available when Baltimore goes on the clock. I do not think trading, say, a #3 would be a bad idea. But let's say they are gone. Everyone cannot go in the first nine picks so I am of the opinion that an impact player will be there. I do not know that you get an impact player necessarily at #19. To me, Sheppard, as talented as he is, does not mitigate adding an impact player at #10. The worst thing for Saints fans on draft day would be to have traded away the #10 pick and Dorsey or Ellis is sitting there at #10 when Philly goes on the clock.

Also, Philly has nothing to truly gain by trading up. Keith Rivers could be a target but he might fall into their laps if he gets pass Denver. They could go with a tackle but, again, a guy like Brandon Albert (who can play guard and tackle) should be there at #19. They could target a WR. Only Buffalo is likely to select a WR in the first 18 picks, so either Desean Jackson, Malcolm Kelly and/or Limas Sweed is likely to be on board. Some might argue that safety is a need but I have a hard time believing they will call Kenny Phillips name and they definitely would not trade up for him. Reggie Smith could get a look from them. So the reality is that we are talking of making a trade that the Eagles might not even be inclined to make as it does not advantage them in anyway.

I'd do it for sure but I'd do it for the switch and only that. Moving from 19 to 10 would cost Philly their second round pick and then some, (the value is pick 19 and 46 to get to 10) so they get nothing else.

I would do this deal and then select Kenny Phillips at 19 to replace Bullocks who we can maybe trade for a 7th round pick.

Defensively we'd look like this:

DL

Grant, Smith, McCray, Thomas, Young (put all 5 since they will be rotating)

LB

Morgan, Vilma, Fujita

DB

McKenzie, Harper, Phillps, Sheppard (Gay is the nickel, David and Young four and five)

You'll have replaced 6 important pieces on the defense:

Starting WLB
Starting MLB
Starting CB
Starting S
Pass rushing DE
Nickel CB

That's a lot of improvement in one offseason, considering how bad this defense was.

Without looking up the actual values, I'd guess a jump from 19 to 10 is worth a first rounder or at least a 2nd rounder. Is an oft-injured Lito Shepperd really worth a 1st rounder?

Again, it seems to me that it is more attractive for the eagles to grab extra draft picks then to trade up. Look at their depth chart and needs. There is not much difference in what they can get at the receiver, linebacker or even running back position at 10 then at 19.

If I was them, I would be more interesting in getting extra picks, not trading up.

Who's to say they couldn't trade the #10 back down for more picks?

Who's to say they couldn't trade the #10 back down for more picks?

C'mon, let's be real. Do you think the eagles would be willing to trade up (to fit the needs of the saints fans) with the intention of trading down later? I think not.

I think that many people that are proposing trades are not considering the depth, the cap and the needs of the other team that may trade with the saints. It takes two to tango.

I am sure the eagles and the giants will not make any movement that may get the saints stronger if they don't have to. If by some chance, they are fed up with Shockey and Sheppard and prefer to get rid of them instead of continue paying them, I am sure they will do the impossible to send them to the AFC. To make a trade with the saints (who may be a strong rival of them in the playoffs), the eagles and giants should be looking to get a very attractive reward.

I am sure that if for some reason (and I don't see one as of now) Tom Heckert decides that it is better to trade up then to get additional draft picks for Sheppard, he would be calling the bengals first and the bills second before even considering trading up with the saints.

Stay put is what I say. Dorsey or Ellis will be there. At worst, one will be on the board at #8. I would much rather trade up and grab one of those players at #8 than to trade back to #19. I would not mind adding Sheppard but I would much rather do so by trading a second this year or next. In fact, I would offer a third and the swap of our seconds for Sheppard but not the #10 pick. If we are patient, we will get an impact player at #10.

I totally agree. No way is Lito worth us giving away the #10 pick in the draft even by trading down.

I'd do it for sure but I'd do it for the switch and only that. Moving from 19 to 10 would cost Philly their second round pick and then some, (the value is pick 19 and 46 to get to 10) so they get nothing else.

The problem with this is that it's doubtful Philly is targeting anyone at #10, so they may not see a whole lot of value in the pick.

I would do this deal and then select Kenny Phillips at 19 to replace Bullocks who we can maybe trade for a 7th round pick.

It would be crazy for any team to take Phillips in the first round.

I totally agree. No way is Lito worth us giving away the #10 pick in the draft even by trading down.

I think Sheppard has talent. But I also believe that Saints fans tend to overrate players on other teams. We have to ask ourselves why is it the Eagles felt the need to replace Sheppard. A part of it could be the games he has missed due to injury. But I came across an interesting stat that might also help to explain the Eagles' decision to pursue Samuel as a replacement for Sheppard. Last season, Jason David had the worst success rate amongst cornerbacks at 36%. Sheppard had a success rate of 41%, causing him to be the 4th worst cornerback last year in terms of success rate. Now, he did not end up on the dreadful worst cornerback yard per pass average like Jason David. But for a guy that many of us have stated we would not hesitate to trade down for, I think having the fourth worst success rate amongst cornerbacks should cause us to be very leery about trading down for him.

Check the list http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3289200

I'm convinced :hihi:

I'd definately swap firsts with the eagles for him, but I honestly doubt the eagole would do that.

It would be crazy for any team to take Phillips in the first round.
Any Chance he makes it #40? :scratch: that'd be AWESOME!!!
Get Lito
19) Rivers/Jenkins/Balmer/who knows maybe DRC
40) Philips
Trade 3rd for Shockey

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom