Trade into the first round. (1 Viewer)

saintmike23

BRING THE WOOD!
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Why haven’t we signed anyone yet?!

But in all seriousness, I’ve been thinking that this could be a year to trade up for a QB if the right one falls. If Drew Lock falls to the bottom third of the first round we could trade up to get him.

The upside is that we wouldn’t have to pay the salary of Teddy Bridgwater. And Lock could sit for a year or even two if Brees decides to stay another year.

But we’d have to trade next year’s first which could be really low. And probably this year’s second. And another pick next year.

And we’d have to be active in free agency to get a wide receiver and tight end. But the way I see it, this scenario is better than trying to get a rookie wide receiver who can contribute immediately. Or a rookie tight end. And we have a backup QB at a cheap rate to free up Hill to do the Swiss Army knife thing.

If SP falls in love with a QB, I'm not going to question him.

However, the problem is that this year's QB class is weak and they're more likely to be overdrafted.

Also, a decision will have to be made on Teddy before the draft. And it's dangerous business to just commit to drafting a QB high without knowing which QB it is. Gotta fall in love with the player, not the position.

Let the trade up clamour begin!

I notice there is no addressing of the DT position in the OP scenario, despite:

a) It's a position of need due to injury/suspension of Rankins/Onyemata
b) It's a deep draft at DL, which is exceptionally strong at the top end with many blue chip players.

The smart money is to avoid overdrafting a QB and let the BPA fall to us. But as has been observed many times, we will move up for a player we have a clear vision for. It's not necessarily (or likely) going to be a QB though.

Let's talk draft capital. If we packaged all or picks this year and made a trade to move up, we'd be able to move up from #62 to approx #52. Package next year's 1st rounder with all the rest and we could move into the mid 30's... Maybe. Next year's first and second with this year's second might... Just might get us into the late first round, and that's a stretch.

As much as I'd LOVE to see us move up into the 1st RD, especially in this particular draft, a move into the top 30 would seriously cost us. Off the top, I'm certain it would def mean giving up future picks and possibly a player or two. If it happens, it happens, and it would be an exciting proposition. But at the same time, what will we be giving up, and in turn, who/what will the team be missing out on moving forward? I mean contextually speaking, in terms of last years move to get Davenport, look at who and what we're missing out on now.

Yesterday on dan patrick, peter king said a coach ran to catch up with kyler murrays crew as they were leaving to say hello and say you never know what may happen. He also said to peter king not to tell anyone what he saw. Was that coach Sean Payton?

Yesterday on dan patrick, peter king said a coach ran to catch up with kyler murrays crew as they were leaving to say hello and say you never know what may happen. He also said to peter king not to tell anyone what he saw. Was that coach Sean Payton?

Sounds like SP. And I know he loves Murray.

But yeah, I can't envision any scenario in which that happens.

We can't afford to give up any more picks from this years or next years draft. We have too many holes to fill on offense and defense. But all of this all hinges on what we do in FA. Please lets not mortgage the farm just to buy the cow. Trading away all these picks could hurt us in the future and stunt us in getting the talent we need to keep up with the rest of the NFL.

I am normally a big proponent of trading up. Not this year. We essentially gave up a # 2 last year and got great value. This is the year to be aggressive in free agency. I trust ML to figure that out and I’m not opposed to mortgaging future cap space there. As for the draft just sit tight and take the best that falls. MAYBE move up into the third. We are set to make another run but let’s not get crazy this year. I have a feeling ML and SP are whispering in Teddy Bs ear to sign a one year extension and sign a big contract next if DB does decide to hang it up. Which I don’t think will happen but everyone else does. As someone else posted sorry draft nicks

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom