Trade Speculation- CB (1 Viewer)

trading for a cb won't fix or cure not having a pass rush either.

sometimes it is ok to just be bad, making a trade to nudge this team towards 7-9 isnt doing anyone any favors. Much rather be bad and get a stud pass rusher and enter next year with a healthy defensive backfield and a healthy rankins. we really are not far away from being very good (sign a guard, draft a pass rusher and depth along the lines, let the young offensive weapons and young secondary mature, let stephone anthony go through his growing pains, get some key guys back from injury and i think we are a real contender). The easiest way to get there would be to be bad (ie 4-12) this year.

sometimes it is ok to just be bad, making a trade to nudge this team towards 7-9 isnt doing anyone any favors. Much rather be bad and get a stud pass rusher and enter next year with a healthy defensive backfield and a healthy rankins. we really are not far away from being very good (sign a guard, draft a pass rusher and depth along the lines, let the young offensive weapons and young secondary mature, let stephone anthony go through his growing pains, get some key guys back from injury and i think we are a real contender). The easiest way to get there would be to be bad (ie 4-12) this year.

Finally someone speaking my language.

I think if we still figured we were contenders then we may have done something, but we are so thin at every position I think the mortgaging for the future days are over and for Payton it is play with who you got. He gets a free pass for the year and we along with Drew get lousy, all ready over before it started football. It stinks, but it is the reality for this year.

Cornerbacks werent the problem against Atlanta... we couldn't stop the run... close thread

Yeah this has happened many times for us vacating the flats and getting hit on the edges on running plays. However this usually coincides with lack of trust in our DBs. We have had to play a lot of shell coverage to help our CBs and that opens us up to these running plays and short passes. The idea is that more plays equals more chances for them to mess up or for us to make a play but neither happened last week.

Additionally poor NT play and never being able to truly stack the box probably made our LBs try to do too much in the running game. I'd bet this mental aspect had a lot to do with Robersons poor coverage grade, particularly because he was seen as a coverage ace in practice.

All in all good defenses TRUST that the people around them can accomplish their own assignments. There is no faith in our defense and honestly there probably shouldn't. So now we are basically devolved into a mess of everyone just trying to make any kind of play they can.

That's what injuries do to you... You draw the drives out and everyone just tries to make something happen. Basically impossible to grade anyone going forward on scheme fit at this point. The defensive scheme is just too broken now and it's really not DA's fault. He can't put our real players in positions to succeed because he needs to focus on putting our CBs in positions to not completely fail. It's really hard to evaluate anybody rn because losing your top 6 corners is basically unprecedented.

So yes we gave up yards on the ground but that doesn't mean that it had nothing to do with our confidence in CB coverage. Does that mean we should trade? No, because our defense is honestly too broken to really evaluate anybody at this juncture and at 0-3 it's highly unlikely we will recover.

Corners haven't been our problem against ANY team this season. It's been lack of pass rush and the LB's getting eaten alive by running backs. I'd wait until these guys are the reason we're losing before bringing in replacements.

but robertson .... right?

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom