Trading a first round pick for CB (1 Viewer)

Deltabull

Pro-Bowler
Reaction score
All year I've been hearing that 2017 is gonna be "our year". If we trade Cooks for a first rounder lots of you guys are wanting a corner as one of those first round picks. Tell me, what first round pick is going to come in and be a better starter at corner than who we already have? It's my understanding that a young corner takes time to adjust to the NFL speed. We have some young guys who will becoming back healthy who are already "up to speed". If 2017 truly is to be "our year" do we really need to be starting a rookie?

I'd swap with Cleveland for their #12 pick and Joe Haden. I don't buy us taking that 5th and 18th for Cooks and 11 because of the value of that 11th pick especially for a QB needy team. Eagles or Tennessee needs to give up their Mid 1st and a 1st next year for Cooks and maybe 1 other pick and call it a day.

Meanwhile we would still hold or very valuable 11th pick

Then I'd turn right around and take a CB...kid from Washington. Sidney Jones....or just take a passrusher but u can effect the QB with coverage or rush so give me the highest rated guy at either or and I'd be fine

All year I've been hearing that 2017 is gonna be "our year". If we trade Cooks for a first rounder lots of you guys are wanting a corner as one of those first round picks. Tell me, what first round pick is going to come in and be a better starter at corner than who we already have? It's my understanding that a young corner takes time to adjust to the NFL speed. We have some young guys who will becoming back healthy who are already "up to speed". If 2017 truly is to be "our year" do we really need to be starting a rookie?
This team has several spots to fill, not just cb. Most pressing is a starting DE that can rush the passer. Best player available is who we should take, and if we trade Cooks, we better have a big time FA wr ready to step in. No guarantee that any rookie receiver will do what he's done the last three years.

I'd swap with Cleveland for their #12 pick and Joe Haden. I don't buy us taking that 5th and 18th for Cooks and 11 because of the value of that 11th pick especially for a QB needy team. Eagles or Tennessee needs to give up their Mid 1st and a 1st next year for Cooks and maybe 1 other pick and call it a day.

Meanwhile we would still hold or very valuable 11th pick

Then I'd turn right around and take a CB...kid from Washington. Sidney Jones....or just take a passrusher but u can effect the QB with coverage or rush so give me the highest rated guy at either or and I'd be fine

Give titans cooks and #11 for #5 and #18 plus a #4 next year that could go to a 3 or 2 based on performance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I guess you guys are missing the point of my question. Is there anyone coming out this year who is capable of being a starter at CB from day one of the 2017 season that will be better than our current corners ?

I guess you guys are missing the point of my question. Is there anyone coming out this year who is capable of being a starter at CB from day one of the 2017 season that will be better than our current corners ?

Anyone who can stay on the field for the entire season. :idunno:

CB is such a difficult position to gauge for your question. I'm not sure I would ever count on a CB to come out and be a starter on our D. NFL QBs are so smart and coordinators are really good and confusing young players that the learning curve is huge. I think a CB in the first is a luxury pick and our D can't afford to take a chance at this point with our youth and injury issues. Free agency is the route I think we need so someone proven can step in and go right away.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This team has several spots to fill, not just cb. Most pressing is a starting DE that can rush the passer. Best player available is who we should take, and if we trade Cooks, we better have a big time FA wr ready to step in. No guarantee that any rookie receiver will do what he's done the last three years.

I don't know about the term "most pressing". SP labeled passrusher & CB as must and DA in his interview said you can effect the passer thru coverage and passrush. So don't pigeon hole yourself into taking a passrusher just because it's a must. If the highest rated player on the board is a DB then take him.

Lattimore and Jones are prob going top 15

Yes.

Marshon Lattimore.

And I would trade up to get him too.

He has the makings of a top 5 corner in the league.

I get that there's a learning curve at all NFL positions, but the Saints were pulling guys off the street to start at CB last season. Marshon Lattimore would come in year 1 and be better than the current starters, maybe even Breaux.

I like Jones ball skills more and he's one of the few CBS in this class that will come up and stick you. Quite a few of these cover guys are allergic to contact but we play in a run heavy division and our Cover 2 scheme is about having 8 defenders in the box on Random plays when a CB recognizes run to his side he becomes the 8th man. So having allergic to tacking DBs can be a detriment

Lattimore to me is the stickier of the two. Jones can be had on in breaking routes and by more physical DBs. He had a tough game against JuJu Smith who would just body him on in routes and off the LOS at times. He's got good jam technique but he to me would push PJ Williams and Moore for #3 in my scenario

I want Lattimore badly. We know how well coached and NFL ready Meyers players are from OSU and Lattimore will be a shut down corner for a decade once he gets his first set of bruises

I think more important is that DA said while we have talent at CB we have a TON of questions that need answers. Breaux and Williams have to stay healthy but Breaux has to take that next step. He's a FA next year and that like Vaccaro being one puts CB on the radar more than people realize. So I wouldn't be upset at all if we took Either of those guys first.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom