Trading away next year's first? (1 Viewer)

zorro37

Cha-Champs
Reaction score
So here's a possible draft situation. We have next years first, and we decide to be aggresive.
For example
A
Saints Trade 2009 first and 2008 third to Pats for 7 and get Dorsey
Saints take a CB (McKelvin, DRC, Jenkins), or Keith Rivers at 10.

or
B
Saints trade 2009 first to Oakland for 2009 second and Asamogha. Then pick one of Keith Rivers, Kenny Phillips, Dan Connor, Kentwan Balmer at ten.

Would you be in favor of using next years first in a deal with the mentality that we will secure our defense aggresively now for a big run this year.
I think I would like it. Rivers and Dorsey or say Rivers and Asomugha and there is no two ways about it that's one of, if not the best, defenses in the league.
Say scenario A that's
McCray Grant Dorsey Smith
Rivers Vilma Fujita
McKenzie Harper KK (one of Gay Young David)

Couple that with our offense and we are unbelievable.

Last edited:
no, i hate the thought of not having a first. especially if we decide to suck it up this year. also, we are still in good position at number 10. if we give up next years first, i want it to be for an established probowler.imo

no, i hate the thought of not having a first. especially if we decide to suck it up this year. also, we are still in good position at number 10. if we give up next years first, i want it to be for an established probowler.imo

Isn't Nnamdi a Probowler ?

Isn't Nnamdi a Probowler ?
Yes and an All pro too. And I doubt you'd wait long before Dorsey was in Hawaii too.
If we had that defense and our O, barring any major injuries, there is no way that 2009 first is not in the 28-32 range.

So here's a possible draft situation. We have next years first, and we decide to be aggresive.
For example
A
Saints Trade 2009 first and 2008 third to Pats for 7 and get Dorsey
Saints take a CB (McKelvin, DRC, Jenkins), or Keith Rivers at 10.

or
B
Saints trade 2009 first to Oakland for 2009 second and Asamogha. They pick one of Keith Rivers, Kenny Phillips, Dan Connor, Kentwan Balmer at ten.

Would you be in favor of using next years first in a deal with the mentality that we will secure our defense aggresively now for a big run this year.
I think I would like it. Rivers and Dorsey or say Rivers and Asomugha and there is no two ways about it that's one of, if not the best, defenses in the league.
Say scenario A that's
McCray Grant Dorsey Smith
Rivers Vilma Fujita
McKenzie Harper KK (one of Gay Young David)

Couple that with our offense and we are unbelievable.

I would go for the B, we have a 5 to 6 year window with the offense we have now. We've drafted for 40 years and the closest we been to the big dance was 2006. Would you give up a #1 next year for a legit shot at a Superbowl ring? I know I would. There's no guarentee on a draft pick or trading for a player so you have to give yourself the best chance you can. I think that Asomugha gives us that chance, then draft a DT and we look pretty good. There will always be a player that we would kill to have next year in the #1 pick but hopefully we are drafting late in the 1st and who will care if we come home with the Lombardi.

Trading away future first round picks is almost universally a bad idea. We're going to be real, real, real ****** if Brees gets hurt in week 3 and that pick turns out to be the #5 overall.

Asamogha is worth a first in ANY year. Plus, we'll have to sign him to a big contract that'll probably be for less than a top 5 pick would get next year)in LSSPam's scenerio). I'm on board.

Bad idea....falling inlove with a player to the point will you trade a future 1st round pick just to get them?!!....those scenario's hardly play out in favor of the Team that does that and the only team that benefits from that is the team that got two future 1st round picks, I'd rather just trade current picks to move up, but I'm not inlove with any one player in the draft, I feel we can get good players in each round, mainly because we pick pretty high in each round, which actually makes it easier to trade back and get more picks ( after round 1) because Teams do more trading after the 1st round.

Asamogha is a proven player and is still very young. we wouldn't be trading a pick for a fading player with only a year or two left in the tank.

Do not give up first round picks for players.

Do not give up first round picks for players.

That first round pick will become a player. :idunno:

And you don't really know if he will be good or not.
My only problem with trading first round picks for players is that you don't get good players from other teams unless they have:

1) Contract issues- That means we have to doll out big $$$ contracts (cap issues)

or

2) Chemistry issues- The player is unhappy and therefore potentially problematic.

That first round pick will become a player. :idunno:

And you don't really know if he will be good or not.
My only problem with trading first round picks for players is that you don't get good players from other teams unless they have:

1) Contract issues- That means we have to doll out big $$$ contracts (cap issues)

or

2) Chemistry issues- The player is unhappy and therefore potentially problematic.

The contract issues are the main problem with it. But theres also the fact that you never know what a future 1st rounder will be. If it ends up being the 5th overall pick, you'll lose out on a ton of value if you traded that pick away for a player more worth a lower 1st rounder. In the recent past, trading 1st rounders has come back to bite the teams who gave up the pick. The 49ers and Browns are examples of this. The Browns are just digging themsevles deeper. They've practically traded away their whole draft. In a few years cap issues will kill them.

responding to Zorro:
Unfortunately the scenarios aren't really workable, based on how the NFL value future year picks. You won't get a team giving up a first this year for a first next year, for starters, whether you toss in some later round 2008 picks or not.

Trades I have seen involving future year 1st round picks are:

1. Giving up next year's 1st to get a second round from someone in the current year
and
2. Adding next year's first to a high 2nd round pick in the current year, to trade up into the mid- to late-first round.

Quite how the Pats would be interested in giving up a #7 overall for who knows what slot (1-32) next year is beyond me. Sorry to be a misery!

Your scenario B would also be a reach but then it depends on the value Oakland attach to Asomugha compared to their concerns about signing him etc. But I don't think Al will deal away a decent CB (he loves cover men) for the equivalent of a trade up from round 2 to round 1 in a future year.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom