Trading away next year's first? (1 Viewer)

if we give up next years first, i want it to be for an established probowler.imo

Not only is Nnamdi Asomugha a proven Pro Bowler, but he is also considered the second best cornerback in the league behind only Champ himself. Many people argue that "scrabble" is even a better man cover corner that Champ Bailey.

I give a 1st for him in a heartbeat.

Winners are built through the draft. Your draft means nothing without a first round selection. If your gamble does not result in a Super Bowl then you set back your franchise for a season or two.

Winners are built through the draft. Your draft means nothing without a first round selection. If your gamble does not result in a Super Bowl then you set back your franchise for a season or two.

I just can't agree with that... I'd say MAYBE half of the first round picks in the draft become impact players... If you're expecting to have a good season next year, the pick will be lower anyways... I just don't understand the sentiment on this website that a draft pick is better than a good player. I think a lot of people on here play too much madden

Oakland wouldn't trade Asomugha for this years 1st straight up much less next years AND giving us a 2nd with him.

No way Oakland sends back a 2nd rounder in a deal for Nnamdi. They would probably hesitate to pull the trigger on just our '09 first rounder much less doing a swap.

Most NFL teams struggle to find enough decent cornerbacks, why would Al Davis (senility aside) want to trade away a Pro Bowl CB? Teams always find a way to make cap room when when they need to.

I would like pick 10 and our third next year to move up and get Dorsey and next years 1 for Asomugha.
Then take one of the LBs or Trevor Laws in the second.

Last edited:
Why not give them this year's 1st & 3rd rd pick?

If Dorsey is available at #7, we should trade up with the Pats and get him! We don't have to give away next year's pick to make a deal though......we give them THIS YEAR'S our 1st (#10) .....and our 3rd rd pick.....there is only 200 points difference beween the 7th and 10th slots.

To me giving up this year's 3rd to jump up to #7 is well worth the trouble! Dorsey is that good!

Why not give them this year's 1st & 3rd rd pick?

If Dorsey is available at #7, we should trade up with the Pats and get him! We don't have to give away next year's pick to make a deal though......we give them THIS YEAR'S our 1st (#10) .....and our 3rd rd pick.....there is only 200 points difference beween the 7th and 10th slots.

To me giving up this year's 3rd to jump up to #7 is well worth the trouble! Dorsey is that good!

This years third is # 79 or so next years hopefully is 20 picks later

This years third is # 79 or so next years hopefully is 20 picks later

If the Pats go for it.....so much the better. But I seriously doubt the Pats want next year's 3rd rd pick exactly for the reason you mentioned!

Trading away future first round picks is almost universally a bad idea. We're going to be real, real, real ****** if Brees gets hurt in week 3 and that pick turns out to be the #5 overall.

Are you allowed in the NFL to send a conditional first that would be top 5 or top 10 protected as in the NBA?

"The draft is a crap shoot" - the Minnesota Vikings took Troy Williamson with the 7th overall pick, the Minnesota Vikings took Adrian Peterson with the 7th overall pick. It can be boom or bust. Reggie Bush was supposed to be "the best prospect of the last 20 years". Decent player, so far not even close to the best layer of the last 5 years and maybe not that draft. Calvin Johnson was supposed to be the best wide receiver prospect since Randy Moss and the most sure thing in the 07 draft - 48 receptions 756 yards 4 TDs. Marques Colston had a far better rookie year as an afterthought. If someone was willing to give up 1st and 3rd round picks for Marques Colston as a restricted free agent would anyone be happy with that? They shouldn't be, because that 1st rounder could turn into a Robert Meachem, Craig "Buster" Davis etc. So long as you can identify an all-pro proven NFL player who fits your scheme, always take the proven commodity over a draft pick

In my mind, too many cliches rather than dealing with every possibility at face value. Justin Smith was the 4th overall selection of a draft, Charles Rogers and Robert Gallery the 2nd of others, Jonathan Sullivan the 6th of another. It takes excellent scouting teams to consistently hit on drafts. I'd like to see the Patriots and Colts grades on Gallery/Rogers. I doubt they had them with 4th round grades. Predicting the transition from college to the pros is not sure fire. Obviously the Patriots made a horrible TE pick in the 5th round before Tom Brady, and who wouldn't give up multiple 1st round picks for him given he has proven himself in the NFL.

Last edited:
I just can't agree with that... I'd say MAYBE half of the first round picks in the draft become impact players... If you're expecting to have a good season next year, the pick will be lower anyways... I just don't understand the sentiment on this website that a draft pick is better than a good player. I think a lot of people on here play too much madden

7 of our last 8 first round draft picks went on to be productive above average players (Sully was the only bust). Four of them have had probowl seasons. The first round has been very good to us.

To accuse people who value the draft as "playing to much madden" is funny though.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom