Trading for extra picks option (1 Viewer)

mjf504

Veteran
Reaction score
I would much rather see us grab a few picks next year if we are trading down or trading players, unless we are going to use this years added picks to trade up. Grabbing late round picks this year with this roster is a waste. NE used to trade for extra picks and draft 13 guys. 3 might make the roster. Might as well package those extra picks for a high pick. Next year will be important with free agent losses and need for a QB. I would be happy to trade our #24 for a 2nd rounder this year and 1 next year.

But wouldn’t trading players to gain picks next year wasting what possibly is Drew’s last year? I’d assume this year is an “all out” year. Not to be cliche, but Super Bowl or bust

I rather get more picks this year so we could possibly get some of these: 2 LBs(MIKE & SAM), a corner, a receiver, a 3rd tight end, a DE, an OT, maybe a RB, maybe a FB, and a possible future starting QB.

If Murray or Queen isn’t there I would love to try to trade back to get either Zach Baun later in the 1st or a corner early in the 2nd and Jacob Eason later in the 2nd. I would love to see Jordan Love fall to our pick and we can get a kings ransom since he’s a QB. But the Patriots would likely jump on that before us. I doubt he will even fall that far as some team will fall in love with him and trade him for him in this draft.

I was thinking yesterday. They have not been worried about getting compensatory picks before. This year looks like we will get two for next year. Would be three if Raiders didn't back out of Eli Apple deal. Might be getting draft ammo for next years draft. May be some player they like. (QB) If they trade and get more picks for next year you will know!

In theory, trading this year's picks for better ones next year would be smart. This year's draft is even more of a crapshoot than normal, because of the lack of face to face interviews, medical checks, etc. But we have to go all in this year because of Drew. We have to nail some playmakers like CGJ last year.

I would absolutely be on board with a trade down. But it just seems so unlikely. We've always traded up except for one year.

But wouldn’t trading players to gain picks next year wasting what possibly is Drew’s last year? I’d assume this year is an “all out” year. Not to be cliche, but Super Bowl or bust
I'll always say that if we draft a rookie with the expectation that they must contribute significantly right away, it's a mistake. Because our roster should be strong enough that they don't have to be good right away.

It's a thing you hope for. Would love, even...but rookies are always investments into the future first. If a draft player is only as good as they'll ever be in the first season, those players get called busts.

Which is why drafting a high upside prospect isn't a bad idea.

In other words, if our chances of winning a Super Bowl will hinge on a player who has never taken an NFL snap yet, then we were never going to win the Super Bowl.

I would absolutely be on board with a trade down. But it just seems so unlikely. We've always traded up except for one year.

I'll always say that if we draft a rookie with the expectation that they must contribute significantly right away, it's a mistake. Because our roster should be strong enough that they don't have to be good right away.

It's a thing you hope for. Would love, even...but rookies are always investments into the future first. If a draft player is only as good as they'll ever be in the first season, those players get called busts.

Which is why drafting a high upside prospect isn't a bad idea.

In other words, if our chances of winning a Super Bowl will hinge on a player who has never taken an NFL snap yet, then we were never going to win the Super Bowl.
Well, I was assuming that when he meant trading players for future picks, then it meant possibly trading AK41, Latt, Ram, WarDaddy, etc. Can’t see how trading away any of those players helps us to win this year. Maybe, I misinterpreted, but I did read trading players specifically or the option of trading down in the draft. Trade away players, there’s no guarantee that you fill that void with players (of the traded away player) of that caliber.

Kinlaw is a beast and it’s not a sure thing that Rankins can stay healthy.
I would trade up for him or Simmons. I believe both would make a big difference on this defense. For me it is Super Bowl or bust so trading for picks next year makes little sense. The 'feel' is this will be Drew's last year. Worry about that next year with a potentially much higher salary cap to lure a free agent QB.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom