Trading up to draft the next Drew Brees? (1 Viewer)

Knowing what we know now about how Drew’s career turned out, what would you have been willing to trade away to get him? Or another way of looking at it, what would you be willing to trade if you were guaranteed you were getting Drew’s equivalent.
Everyone made fun of Mike Ditka for trading an entire draft class for Ricky Williams, but I think that would be a small price to pay for Drew.
I agree with other comments, chances are remote we'll get another Drew Brees, but we might get in the neighborhood without having to sell the farm. Who Dat might be? Out on the limb, I am going to say Jake Fromm, a Georgia Bulldog turn Falcon slayer.

Last edited:
I really like Teddy. Would love for him to work out and he and Hill have this nice rotation for years to come. Josh Rosen is a VERY interesting option. We seem to have a trade connection with Miami and if they truly are sucking for Tua, Rosen should he available. He won't be a popular option because people are often unable to see the talent past the way the rest of the team is performing. Poor Josh has had to endure some really pathetic and disastrous programs. Would be intriguing to see what Payton can get out of him.

I really like Teddy. Would love for him to work out and he and Hill have this nice rotation for years to come. Josh Rosen is a VERY interesting option. We seem to have a trade connection with Miami and if they truly are sucking for Tua, Rosen should he available. He won't be a popular option because people are often unable to see the talent past the way the rest of the team is performing. Poor Josh has had to endure some really pathetic and disastrous programs. Would be intriguing to see what Payton can get out of him.

I’d rather Bridgewater or Hill than Rosen. He’s a less talented Jay Cutler.

I’d rather Bridgewater or Hill than Rosen. He’s a less talented Jay Cutler.
Rosen was the best PAC-12 QB coming out last year (definitely better than Darnold who is overrated). Just look at the two horribly managed franchises he’s been with... Arizona and Miami. Rosen would do great on an actual well run franchise

Knowing what we know now about how Drew’s career turned out, what would you have been willing to trade away to get him? Or another way of looking at it, what would you be willing to trade if you were guaranteed you were getting Drew’s equivalent.
Everyone made fun of Mike Ditka for trading an entire draft class for Ricky Williams, but I think that would be a small price to pay for Drew.
We wouldn't have to give up anything. Drew was drafted in the 2nd round. Just take him with the 1st round pick

There is no next Brees. Nobody can fill those shoes.

I think the broad, unrealistic belief that we’re going to transition from Brees to the next Brees instantaneously is probably why Bridgewater has been facing so much noise this week for the perception of being “unprepared”, despite the fact that being Brees’ backup had been one of the most useless positions in all of sports the last 14 years.
I have no idea what I would trade to get Drew’s equivalent, if I knew what I was getting I’d fleece the other team and laugh all the way to the bank, but I do know I am hoping that between #5 and #7, one of these guys will step up and claim territory so that we won’t have to trade anything.

Drew is arguably the greatest QB in the history of the NFL. He doesn’t have the greatest arm but he is a fierce competitor, incredibly accurate, and a quick decision maker. You aren’t going to replace that guy although I think Payton was onto something with his interest in Mahomes. There are several interesting prospects in this draft class and as I read in another thread, there aren’t a lot of franchises in the market for a new QB. I fully expect that we will be drafting late this year but I would not be surprised to see them take a QB in the first round. I doubt we trade up unless there is a can’t miss prospect that Sean can’t live without. It would cost us too much.

Rosen was the best PAC-12 QB coming out last year (definitely better than Darnold who is overrated). Just look at the two horribly managed franchises he’s been with... Arizona and Miami. Rosen would do great on an actual well run franchise

Dude is a flake. I pray to God that I don’t have to root for him.

I believe the eventual successor to Brees will either come via free agency or a trade. I don’t think Sean Payton wants to go through the growing pains of developing a rookie Qb. I may be wrong but remember he got Brees through Free Agency when we had the 2nd draft pick and everyone thought we were going to pick Leinart (sp?) from USC.

I think the Saints will try to move up to draft a quarterback. But the competition will be steep. Other teams that might have a strong interest in picking a quarterback are Miami, Pittsburgh, Cincinnati, Indianapolis, Jacksonville, Tennessee, the Chargers, Denver, and Tampa. Counting the Saints, I see six or seven teams that will be targeting the quarterback position.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom